Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 17.02.2014, 09:16 AM
New here
New here

Default Regarding Hypersaw Sync

I'm new to the world of Viruses and having just picked up a TI2, I've spent the past 4 days nonstop trying to learn every little thing about it and the intricacies of how everything works. I've read through the manual, watched all the videos on the access site, and have watched the dance music production tutorial series on the Virus.

I'm still having a bit of difficulty reconciling how the Sync function works in relation to hypersaws and would just like someone to clarify if I'm getting this right. I understand that there is this *hidden* oscillator working in the background. The multiple saw waves can have their individual pitches detuned from each other with the detune function. The semitone knob in this case I presume is raising or lowering the pitch of all the individual saw waves simultaneously in an absolute fashion.

Presume "Sync 1+2" button is off and both oscillators set to Hypersaw. In this case, only oscillator 2 will be synced to said *hidden* oscillator and the "Sync Amt" knob will sweep the frequency of the hidden oscillator and NOT the amount of synchronization, which I guess wouldn't make much sense anyways. Turning on the "Sync 1+2" button will then cause oscillator 1 to also be synced to this mysterious hidden oscillator.

The manual seems to explain this in a completely different way than the above explanation which is my understanding from watching the Dance Music Production tutorial series, though the instructor in those videos seems very reliable and knowledgable about what he is saying. Also, his explanation just seems to make a lot more sense to me....though I'm still trying to wrap my head around how everything interacts when, say, the semitone and sync knobs are being modulated simultaneously. Sorry if this has been discussed before...I didn't find any information on it doing a cursory search of the forum and I would REALLY appreciate any knowledge that anyone has to share on this.
Old 17.02.2014, 01:47 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Welcome to the forum!

For starters, way to go! That's how it should work: getting a machine and diving in!

I own the C, so I can't actually test this myself.

But the sync function is fairly simple: whatever the wave selected, it will force the second oscillator to recycle its wave cycle at the same time as the first.

The Hypersaw is something similar to the supersaw on a Roland JP8080, they actually sound almost identical. And what happens with that is some sort of unisson at the oscillator level, it stacks multiple waves on top of each other that can be detuned and/or spread. I'm sure you know this all. Ok, so then if you sync two of these together, it's the original saw (that the oscillator bases it's doubles on) that will be phase synced, not all the others on tops, presumably, so this is the hidden waveform he must be talking about, but not necessarily hidden or secret, just muddied up with the was of saws on tops.

Try making a simple patch with just two standard sawtooth, then detune the second one, then turn sync on. See what happens. Then use phase init value, there goes the beating... It's all about phase! The effect of sync may not be as noticeable with hypersaw oscillators as it would on a FM patch, or analogue sounding one, sure it depends on the amount of detuning going on with the doubles, as almost any human wouldn't be able to pick a perfect tone with the more washed hyper/supersaws... hope it helps. cheers
Old 18.02.2014, 02:47 AM
New here
New here

Hey there, thanks! That was quite helpful actually. I went back again and analyzed everything under an oscilloscope and you were correct that the *hidden* oscillator is just referring to the base saw used. All the daughter saws are phased slightly from the parent saw by default, even with detune at 0. However, all daughter saws are sync'd to the parent saw. The sync knob simply increases the sync frequency of the parent saw, and thus all daughter saws as well. Sync 1+2 button applies this effect to oscillator 1 as well.