Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 02.07.2014, 11:54 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Sounds vaguely familiar but got nothing, will suggest getting the free app for your smartphone Gsound. I use it all the time to identify tracks that are playing in public places it works pretty good. Either that or stop stuffing dollar bills into the strippers G-string for one second & go ask the DJ
Ha.. yeah, that is a future plan, only thing is I don't get to that place very often. I did go back a couple of times within a few weeks of posting the question, and didn't hear them play it again. It's a little hard to request they play it when I can't even describe it I didn't think about Gsound or one of those at the time, because as I was listening to it, the title was on the tip of my tongue and I was sure it was going to come to me as soon as I stopped trying so hard to remember (yet it never did).

Hmm... if I could just find a community or something of dance music nuts that specialize in identifying this stuff maybe I could link the files. It's a good sign I guess that it sounds remotely familiar to you, at least an indication I might have captured enough of it to identify.

Also not sure if I mentioned it has kind of a break beat groove to it. It's kind of an odd song for a strip club really.
Old 02.07.2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHobbit View Post
Listened to both - not a cuckkoo, don't sound at all familar
Crap - thanks for giving it a try .
Old 03.07.2014, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Hmm... if I could just find a community or something of dance music nuts that specialize in identifying this stuff maybe I could link the files.
You reminded me, try this place:

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/f....php?forumid=2

Used it about 15 years ago with varying degrees of success. Looks like the place is still active.
Old 03.07.2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
You reminded me, try this place:

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/f....php?forumid=2

Used it about 15 years ago with varying degrees of success. Looks like the place is still active.
Thanks, I registered so I can post, but as of now the activation email hasn't arrived -- hopefully its not a neglected project.
Old 03.07.2014, 01:31 PM

Ok, another clue, trying to narrow down the genre a bit, I'm going to say the mix I heard is best categorized as a Florida Breaks style track.

It sounds similar (in genre) to the tracks in these mixes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpL7P0wg52M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U82-1-8gWj4

If you took the melodies I posted and try to imagine them in that genre, and throw in the female vocals you'd be amazingly close. I wouldn't be surprised if the artist is already represented in one of those mixes with a different title (I never did know the artist of this one, only the track name).
Old 03.07.2014, 01:34 PM

UNFUCKING BELIEVABLE!!! Done and mother fucking D-O-N-E!

Right after I posted that last post, the goddamned title popped right in my head! If it only hadn't taken 4 months.. lol

"I do both Jay and Jane" by La Rissa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHTGnFT96Ew

Thanks for re-igniting this thread and getting me thinking about it again everyone. I was obviously wrong on a few points (number of words in title), probably should have described the lead as a warbly organ too.

It's a little hard to fully pay attention to a song's details when a stripper is grinding her cooch in your lap, so that's my excuse

Thank god I can sleep nights now Well as I said earlier, I never, ever give up.... lol
Old 03.07.2014, 06:14 PM

Also forgot to mention, Gsound identified it quickly just from the Youtube clip, so good call on that one Berni. It's just that I couldn't get to the phone in my pocket at the time... well you know....

(Didn't have Gsound installed at that time anyway)
Old 06.07.2014, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Your melody was very close, even in pitch, less than a semitone out. Very different to the modulated 303 patch used though.

Well done in finding it. I can say I never heard the song before, so would never have guessed it in a million years.

Shazam is another app to ID commercial songs, with a 5 billion song database.

On the PC I used to use a little program called Tunatic which you could use to ID any streaming audio on your PC, but it seems to be defunct now.

Update: Seems Shazam have a free Windows 8 app which can use the PC's stereo mix. It quickly ID'd Jay and Jane from Youtube, and it's also just ID'd a number of few obscure tunes from my old 'to ID' collection. Ten years too late, mind!

Last edited by Timo : 06.07.2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06.07.2014, 03:06 PM

Yes, the patches I used were completely off. Part of the reason I didn't try to faithfully reproduce the actual sounds from the track was because I had left Cubase open with a couple of patches I was working on for something else, so I didn't even bother trying to locate similar patches or recreate them from memory. Naively, I thought it would either be identified, or the title would pop into my head within a day or two -- later I realized I might have been better off at least conveying the warble lead as the track was harder to identify than I thought.

To me melodies are always what stay in my head as the identifiable element more than the actual sounds used (i.e., playing a particular song's melody on a different instrument results in a greater likeness of the track than using the same patches to play a different melody).

But yes, it is kind of an obscure track. I searched around for details about "LaRrissa" and didn't find much, so I'm guessing kind of a one-hit wonder (and an underground hit at that). I've heard it at a couple of places 10-12 years ago, but more recently I think that particular club is the only place I've heard play it.

Will check out Shazam too, thanks.