Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 03.05.2014, 07:25 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Dune 2 - I'm speechless, what have they done

I've pretty much stopped buying soft synths, simply because I have so many of them so I have most bases covered, and when a new one comes out I typically try the demo and can't get inspired to purchase because I can't see they really bring anything new to the table.

I've been a fan of the original Dune synth ever since it came out, it has remained in my top 5 or so go-to synth plug-ins. Part of that was because of the sound, the usability and intuitive interface, and overall performance.

These guys just raised the bar on what a soft synth is with Dune 2 (not compatible with Dune 1, a complete different synth). I've been playing with this one for a couple of days and I have a feeling you're going to see it shoot to the top of KVR product rankings and stay there for a long time, and I think it just placed itself at the top of my go to synth list.

Truly amazing synth.

http://www.synapse-audio.com/dune2.html

The sound demos are EDM but the range of possible sounds on this thing is part of what sets it apart, it's extremely versatile!

If you don't already own Dune1 and decide to purchase, I recommend getting the Dune1&2 bundle because you're then getting Dune1 thrown in for a few bucks (and yes it's worth owning... not as sophisticated as Dune 2, but easier on CPU).
Old 07.05.2014, 02:09 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Nice plug for a nice plug-in. Usual kind of soft synth features, lacks a stepper ala Spire. I may give it a spin.
Old 07.05.2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
Nice plug for a nice plug-in. Usual kind of soft synth features, lacks a stepper ala Spire. I may give it a spin.
It has a step sequencer -- you have to change the "type" value under arp by clicking it, otherwise it is in MIDI mode (import midi pattern).

Maybe you meant not as good as the one in Spire? That's possible, I have not yet tried Spire. Nexus/Omnisphere/Synthmaster have better visualization of the pattern.

Keep in mind though you can also do things like send note volume to the MSEGs which would basically give you some really over the top control over step sequencing -- actually a lot more so than the others mentioned.

When this plug-in blew me away was when I actually sat down to sculpt sounds with it from scratch. They just got the workflow perfect IMO. It's not only the sound of the thing but how it's all laid out, how quickly you get from point A to point B. Guess it makes sense coming from a company that also makes DAW software (even if obscure one that few folks use), so they have some experience with workflow.

I need to try Spire though. I've heard Spire is mostly a dance music synth whereas Dune 2 seems to be versatile enough to go anywhere, kind of like Zebra but with much simplified usability, less control but perhaps better sound. Main reason I went with Dune 2 is that it was only an $80 upgrade for Dune 1 users, and because of how much use I've gotten from Dune 1 over the last few years. Spire I would have to pay full price.

I'll be honest though, I think this is the best sounding synth I own now. Maybe its the onboard effects or filter quality or both, but it sounds a step above all the other soft synths I have.

Last edited by MBTC : 07.05.2014 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07.05.2014, 02:23 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I cant say anything about the MSEG until I try it. The Spire stepper has wired shaping per step like you get bends and triangle shapes that you can sub divide by x2 or x3 or x4 etc and matrix that out to anything. But I can see how Dune 2 look nicely laid out, a bit Virus like.
Old 07.05.2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
I cant say anything about the MSEG until I try it. The Spire stepper has wired shaping per step like you get bends and triangle shapes that you can sub divide by x2 or x3 or x4 etc and matrix that out to anything. But I can see how Dune 2 look nicely laid out, a bit Virus like.
Yes, that sounds like the MSEGs in Dune 2, you can see them early in this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UmIZHLp2yw
Old 08.05.2014, 12:02 PM
Veteran
Veteran

the implementation of unisson is one of its strong points from version 1. it's got (yamaha's) DX style approach to FM: flexible routing, very similar to what you'd get with the choice of algorithms in the classic FM instruments, coupled with very flexible modulators like the MSEGS, and now the ZFD filters, it makes for a very good bread-and-butter instrument.
Old 08.05.2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
the implementation of unisson is one of its strong points from version 1. it's got (yamaha's) DX style approach to FM: flexible routing, very similar to what you'd get with the choice of algorithms in the classic FM instruments, coupled with very flexible modulators like the MSEGS, and now the ZFD filters, it makes for a very good bread-and-butter instrument.
Thoughts on it versus Spire? I'm waiting to try Spire until I'm willing to buy a new soft synth (not yet, I just have too many and Dune 2 is keeping me really busy at the moment). Dune 2 is climbing it's way up the KVR charts as predicted, but Spire showed up there around the same time (despite apparently having been on the market for a while?) which is why I wonder.
Old 08.05.2014, 07:49 PM
Veteran
Veteran

well, this will not sound technical for sure. I did try Spire and I think it can sound the closest to the Virus of all the plug-ins I've tried - and there have been many. but doesn't take you as far as the Virus TI, in terms of options, but the filters (there's the infecto ones that I think are modeled after the Virus's) sound remarkably close to the real deal and the structure is kind of similar to. feature wise, it's something like Albino 3. all the things you can do with it, you can also make with Dune 2, it just sounds different.
Old 08.05.2014, 09:16 PM

I need to try Spire at some point then, if you think it sounds better than Dune 2. I owned Albino but never thought that highly of it, nor found great use for it.
Old 15.07.2014, 02:41 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I might be getting used to not turning on my Virus TI and just loading Spire!!!