Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 31.01.2013, 04:04 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Yeah, I think they could do that. But I also think, unlike some here, that it's damn good as it is. There's several issues that often come and go about the virus: most people unpleased with it have some complains about the TI implementation, but I think the simple fact that they've tried it and are getting better at it shows how much they're commited to innovation - since, there's no single company on the market trying to do the same. Feature wise, without even considering this new technology for integrating with the DAW, it's got so many options on its sleave and sounds so good -doing all that it does - and the interface is so inspiring that for those that actually make music, it's still a winner both on studio or stage. I think the competition is lacking much more then they do, thinking about Clavia or Waldorf mainly. The Blofeld is very rich, feature wise, but not so much in terms of physical interface and hence, it's not as good for performance.

The other main complain is about the price, which is true: this things are expensive for sure. And that's where the comparisons with the available software options come in, and how the virus is just software with a dedicated controller, this and that. Maybe it is, but it has inspired me to do better music and that's what counts at the end of the day. And I dare say: good luck trying to find such nice sounding filters on software - Diva included!
Yeah, it is quite damn good as it is! Although that sad argument about a synth being software with knobs is really a beaten horse of a subject because even (especially) ROMplers were moreso that description than anything, samplers, and for most part, anything really in the "VA-definition of a synth"...but the HUGE difference is having an interface that is more organic, touchable, as oposed to the click/clack of mousing about on a screen. SURE, there's some great software synths; I am not disputing that. As also a visual artist, a great analogy is the huge difference in interface of using good old oil paints, brushes, and canvas, and wonderful smell of turpentine oposed to the rather clinical approach of using a mouse and making computer art. BOTH can achieve wonderful results, but it's all about the interface and of course tools. Access Virus Ti certainly has vast technological options to further evolve what they have innovated already and a, sure they have learned alot in this evolution in their appreciated dedication to making it work. I for one chose not to 'give-up' in what the future will bring from this company. THEY ARE still selling TI2's and that says something!
Old 31.01.2013, 06:00 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Quote:
There's several issues that often come and go about the virus: most people unpleased with it have some complains about the TI implementation, but I think the simple fact that they've tried it and are getting better at it shows how much they're commited to innovation - since, there's no single company on the market trying to do the same.
You mean like the Kronos? VST control, with librarian, and audio coming back in?

(You could do that with the M3 as well if you had the Firewire I/O card)
Old 31.01.2013, 06:10 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe35 View Post
You mean like the Kronos? VST control, with librarian, and audio coming back in?

(You could do that with the M3 as well if you had the Firewire I/O card)
All I want from the M3 is to be able to order the wonderful 88 keybed and place my Radias atop it. Had no idea that the M3 offered the Firewire upgrade (to the M3 unit or special card for PC?) and act as VST. Still, thinking about outright asking to order the 88 keyboard as it has that same propriatorial Korg plug-in rather than midi just like Radias key-rail assembly, right? Learn something everyday!
Old 31.01.2013, 06:42 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
All I want from the M3 is to be able to order the wonderful 88 keybed and place my Radias atop it. Had no idea that the M3 offered the Firewire upgrade (to the M3 unit or special card for PC?) and act as VST. Still, thinking about outright asking to order the 88 keyboard as it has that same propriatorial Korg plug-in rather than midi just like Radias key-rail assembly, right? Learn something everyday!
The M3 can work as a VST by itself, the firewire card just allows audio I/o over firewire.

and the 88-key keyboard can take both an M3 and a Radias simultaneously.
Old 31.01.2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Didn't know about that. Thought Access was the only company going for that kind of integration. But I think my point comes across just fine, what I mean is that it's already a great tool for making music, as it is. It's one thing to debate technology and where it's going, it's quite another to use what we have - that includes our brains, btw, to make music. And I think there's plenty things out there in the market that look rather boring in comparison.

To my mind, Waldorf is lacking a synth with a decent tweakable interface these days. If the Virus is getting old, then what about the Nord Lead?
Old 31.01.2013, 08:17 PM
Complete Newbie

I wish Waldorf would ship the Stromberg...
Old 31.01.2013, 08:29 PM
Pro
Pro

Talking

Quote:
Didn't know about that. Thought Access was the only company going for that kind of integration. But I think my point comes across just fine, what I mean is that it's already a great tool for making music, as it is. It's one thing to debate technology and where it's going, it's quite another to use what we have - that includes our brains, btw, to make music. And I think there's plenty things out there in the market that look rather boring in comparison.

To my mind, Waldorf is lacking a synth with a decent tweakable interface these days. If the Virus is getting old, then what about the Nord Lead?
Great point there! Understanding 'MY' perspective is ONLY a newer one because of many years with the military and abroad; with that even, among the synths I specifically acquired after MUCH research, still remain rather "fresh" and on the cutting edge of technology/abilities/unique characteristics, with the Virus and very knobby interface and just a capable Waldorf Q rack (they compliment each other as they are equally very different sounding and each deeper synths). I would say that Waldorf were safely two decades ahead of their time with the Q and a swarmy of synth-heads on harmonycentral still concur...with yet another Waldorf, microwave XT, more of a purely wavetable synth that neither virus nor Q can make such otherworldly sounds so easily. ONLY DSI Prophet 12 at NAMM 2013 has finally broke THAT glass ceiling in new analog filters mashed with digital madness, and my goal is to strive with *what I already have* reach that same territory, albeit taking three instruments to do so--the tools are here before me! "The sleeper awakens" (Dune)
With that said, there's no reason other than perhaps economics or time itself that's preventing these relatively smaller "fish in the pond synth makers", in releasing yet more future classics.
Time: You nailed that one down with association with using this time to explore the unexplored with WHAT WE HAVE and indeed make music. whether that is music for eels to yawn to or humans to spawn to (or vice versa) .
What I find so ironic amidst the 'big three' and plethora of softsynths and yes, even modular companies; it happens to be the VERY "small fish in pond" such as; Access, DSI, Elektron, Waldorf--that REALLY continue to innovate. Heck, the DSI Evolver is over 10 years in production and is literally like chaos theory in a muse' form to mould sound like silly putty. Access's Ti series is still very unexplored territory with many people like a few of us on this forum that still are exploring new territories with former incarnations of the Virus. Waldorf came back and have every reason to believe they will continue to innovate. Nord seems to in my humble opinion, let-go of their micro-modular prematurely. I have not used it nor own any Nord, but those I correspond with and sent sound clips of what they can do (as long as they never upgrade their computer O.S.) is pretty amazing--like Reason in a box.
At NAMM, Korg, after testing analog waters with monotrons, etc., did a brave thing re-releasing MS20 but kingkorg seems to be rehash of Radias/Oasys lineage and although the Korg M3 offers encompassing features--I am sorry, aesthetically, could not be an uglier box and reason only want the outstanding 88 keyboard version that can be used for either M3 or Radias, but if it only has the propriatory Korg nexus rather than proper midi so can place my Q rack on it, forget it.
Namm 2013 has done something to make me realize something that Tweakhead nailed it in on: As much as I would LIKE the new Korg MS20 or DSI Prophet 12, I want to make FULL use of the still ahead of the pack in synth technology that we each own in any version of Virus, DSI MEK, and Waldorf Q--and wait until a future point if my *needs* out-weigh my proverbial *wants*. While I realize my philosophy may run counterintuitive to what NAMM wants us to do--slave to consumerism and marketing, and can smile every now and then knowing Dave Smith has again pushed the limits rather than re-issue the past. That same thinking makes me realize that the Virus Ti offeres ALOT of uncharted territory for the future and I for one, do not mind being a "bottom-feeder" of technology.
Old 31.01.2013, 08:49 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
I wish Waldorf would ship the Stromberg...
Although I actually find Blofeld's grid-matrix quite intuitive, programming could be SO insane in a gewat way if a super-knobby controller box were issued by them to sit nicely atop unused realestate very much like Virus KC's. They would sell alot of them! The Blofeld is very deep sound designer's synth if you dig-in to the virtually unlimited territory under the hood!
Old 31.01.2013, 09:34 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Although I actually find Blofeld's grid-matrix quite intuitive, programming could be SO insane in a gewat way if a super-knobby controller box were issued by them to sit nicely atop unused realestate very much like Virus KC's. They would sell alot of them! The Blofeld is very deep sound designer's synth if you dig-in to the virtually unlimited territory under the hood!

The Stromberg (which disappeared from their site) was supposed to be a 61-key knobby Blofeld with an option for analog filters...
Old 31.01.2013, 09:48 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
The Stromberg (which disappeared from their site) was supposed to be a 61-key knobby Blofeld with an option for analog filters...
Vaporware until proven otherwise, at least the Pulse 2 is still listed with a Spring 2013 release. Just sent Waldorf Support a tech question (they got back to me earlier in month about Q-cards for my Q rack rather quickly and helpful in my quest), and along with tech question, asked when audio samples may be posted on site for pulse 2? Cannot hurt to ask? You could get a Behringer BCR2000 and have an effective and inexpensive as-you-wish midi cc asignable knobby interface easily. Did this NAMM event show a newer Dark Energy 2?