Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 21.03.2007, 07:48 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default Virus Powercore polyphony?

Hello,

I have a question to Virus Powercore user with multi-licence:

As far as I know, I get 4*16=64 polyphony on a Powercore card with Virus Multi-licence.

As the Powercore is basically a Virus b, these are the things that can lower the polyphony in the Virus Powercore as well:
* usage of the "Oscillator 3" decreases up to six voices in MULTI-mode
* Unison
* Vocoder (but I am not interested in that)

As one DSP allocates 16 voices a the Virus Powercore, does the usage of 3rd oscillator and unison decreases polyphony the way as it happens in the hw Virus b OR does the Virus Poco have bigger DSP capacity just to serve the 16 polyphony ? (Virus b had to serve 24 polyphony)

Effectively how much polyphony can I get usually from a Virus Powercore multi-licence system?

Thanks,
Bz.
Old 24.03.2007, 09:01 AM
Complete Newbie

Default 64 polyphony - is this theoretical or real?

Ok, asking my question simply now...

Using the Virus Powercore multi-licence on one Powercore card, can I always really get the max. theoretical 64 polyphony in real sequencing situations?

Thanks,
Bz.
Old 24.03.2007, 05:02 PM
Pro
Pro

Virus powercore has 16 voices of polyphony and like you said, the polyphony reduces if you use the 3rd oscillator. This happens with every virus. Also unison uses your voices. If you set it to twin, you have max. 8 voices. So altough you had a powercore pci mk2 with 150MHz dsp's, virus uses just 100MHz and the 16 voice polyphony is the max you can get. You can use all the fx in the virus, turning them on/off don't reduce or give any more polyphony. So, it works like Virus B but has less polyphony. Anyway, you should always get 16 voices, if you don't use unison or the 3rd oscillator.

If you want to play big pads or leads with unison, you can expect to get note dropouts.
Old 24.03.2007, 05:50 PM
Complete Newbie

Thanks for the nice and clear answer!