Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 04.09.2003, 07:38 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon
Default Need help in deciding which model.....

Ok, I'm dead-set on owning a Virus, but I don't know which one to get. I probably do not need one with keys, as I already have an 88-key Triton and an Edirol controller keyboard. So I'm trying to decide between the Virus C, Rack XL, and Rack. Hopefully you guys can help...

My knowledge of synthesis is good, but could be improved upon. The thing I'm wondering is if the Virus C would be the best because all of the knobs are right there in front, so even though I might not intuitively 'know' which knob needs to be turned, I could quickly tweak through them until I found it. But if the Rack XL is, in fact, just as easy to dial in sounds, then maybe I would want to go this route.

And I can get a normal Virus Rack pretty cheap, would it be worthwhile to have this unit in addition to one of the 'C' models. I was at a local music store the other day playing a Nord Lead 3, controlling a Virus C and Virus Rack (the cheaper, non-XL one). I ended up turning off the Nord sound completely, and playing combinations of the 'C' and rack...and it was so good I nearly creamed myself.

Thank you for any input (or flames ) you might have for me...
Old 04.09.2003, 08:03 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

i'd say get a c desktop... you preform live so im not sure the rack will fit you for that
Old 04.09.2003, 08:45 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Get the C if you can afford it and you have the space. The XL is just as great a synth of course, but it is not really designed for tweaking. I would suggest that you only consider the Rack Classic if you really cannot afford either of the above, as it does lack several powerful parameters, as well as having reduced polyphony.

-=BC
Old 04.09.2003, 11:08 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Re: Need help in deciding which model.....

most people by the desktop version. as you said you got a good knowledge of synthesis - in case you want to make use of it and program your own patches i'd go for a virus c. menus are OK but a loads of controls on the front panel are just more fun

but then, i work for access, so consider me biased

marc
Old 05.09.2003, 12:42 AM

go for the C!! its only money.....
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 05.09.2003, 10:39 AM

Get the Virus C desktop version . Lots of buttons and knobs, a cool design, and it looks 8O sexy to. If you haven't the money yet, just wait a bit longer. Otherwise, you will be disappointed . Resistance is futile!
Gearlist: Access Virus C, Clavia Nord Modular Key (fully expanded), Clavia Nord Lead 2 Rack, Roland D-10, Roland JP-8000, Yamaha A-3000, Roland MC-303, Boss Dr. Synth DS-330, Roland RPC-1 + VM-3100Pro, Adam P11-A.
Software: Cubase SL 1.0
Soon: Chameleon mkII
Old 05.09.2003, 08:14 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I went with the C because its not as gun ho as the kc but not as weak as the racks

its like the porage that was just right for goldie locks!!

peace
Blank
Old 05.09.2003, 11:56 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

Wow...thanks for all your responses...the vote seems to be unanimous. Yeah, I was kinda thinking that the rack versions might not satisfy the demand for immediate tweakability...

You guys have a great board going on here, I'm glad to have stumbled upon it