Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 14.06.2004, 11:31 AM
This forum member lives here

Why would anyone want to have unneccesary features....which just increase price? I dont want to see touchscreens or any more poly. Ive been thinking about this, and this is my opinion:

1) First off, I would like to see Access make a dedicated effects box. That way, the could spend the time and money, needed to make truly usable/versatile effects. I think their effects sound pretty good....and with further enhancements, could be a market leader. Lets face it.......Access can be attributed to the reintroduction of the classic phaser sound in mainstream music.

2) The UI of the Virus can be further enhanced. There is alot of empty space.....which could be used to make the effects/oscilator sections less ambigious. More knobs plz.

3) I would like to see the Virus move away from its inherent dark tone quality. As a programmer, its drives me crazy sometimes. Its not possible to make genuinely bright/happy 80's sounds. I keep hearing people talking about their Virus for dark distorted sounds........arrrrghhhh. Synths like the Prophet 5 and JP8 and make very dark tones....but also really bright happy ones. I wish the Virus could do the same. I once heard someone say that this 'dullness in tone' was inherent b'cos the programmers were trying to overcome the aliasing issues.

DS
Old 14.06.2004, 11:36 AM

But anyways.....its no longer a concern for me because ive had to sell my KC through lack of funds whilst at university.

Im financially fucked....and having a synth became a luxury. It'll prob be a year before I can buy another synth.....by which time...ill be keeping a close eye on any new access synths.

Ill check out the forum from time to time........I hope ill be able to replace my synth sooner rather than later

DS
Old 14.06.2004, 12:52 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Sorry to hear that DS
Old 14.06.2004, 01:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

why not geting a second hand b or something?
so your delaying your music for now DC?
Old 14.06.2004, 05:45 PM
Administrator

>>why not geting a second hand b or something?

I did that myself, purely to tide me over. I heard rumours a good while ago that the C was only ever meant as an improvement of the B, to tide Access over until a redesigned product was released.
Old 14.06.2004, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland
I don't think it would be sensible for Access to shoehorn all those different types of synthesis into the Virus. If they did, it would be in danger of becoming something other than a Virus, and so far they have been very successful at maintaining a strong foothold in the market by just making the Virus better and better and making sure that it retains a competitive edge in certain areas. One of the major strengths of the Virus range is that they all retain a certain character, which has become part of the musical landscape.
I didn't speculate at all that they should do all, or even many, of those synthesis types! Only any ones which might integrate well within the Virus' current subtractive engine, as an extra animated sonic extension of the bog-standard saw/sq/sin oscillators. For example, wavetable synthesis works just as well alongside with a subtractive synthesis engine as the standard static oscillators do. To me, this would be adding a new dimension to the Virus' architecture, but not changing its purpose, far from it - just integrating into what the Virus can already do - running alongside its present features. It would be like a larger extension to the Virus' own spectral waveshapes, only animated instead, if you wished.

The various synthesis types mentioned were just various possible ideas for the pot. Thinking aloud, just food for thought.
Old 14.06.2004, 09:38 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
But anyways.....its no longer a concern for me because ive had to sell my KC through lack of funds whilst at university.
DS
good luck,

best, marc

ps. your comment about dark sounds i'd like to discuss a little more. I'd be interested in understand a little more of what you actually miss. if you don't mind, please send me a private email m_s@access-music.de (remove the "_" --> spam)
Old 14.06.2004, 11:05 PM

Shit sorry to hear about that DS!

You went through so much to get a KC that you were happy with too. Anyway, I know you won't be able to stay away for long.

Oh I should mention.

More filters
More filters
More filters
More filters

Hhehehe.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 16.06.2004, 10:30 AM

Well miracles do fucking happen!!!!!!!!

I have just come into some money.......and to cut a long story short, Ive managed to keep my synth.

Sorry about my language....but im genuinely fucking relieved. I feel sorry for letting down the guy who was about to buy it.....but thats life I guess. Im happy now, weeeeeeeee......

The new analog filter is proving to be very versatile for me. Ive been creating very good pads with the Analog 4P and great crispy arp's with the 1pole. Ive also made a 90% clone of a 5ths chord tone of a Jupiter 8 (I made it with the JP8 by my side and its practically indistinguiable). Im also getting really interesting tones using the analog filter coupled with Virus LP, HP, BP, BS configurations.

If I had a choice of future filters, I would like to see:

Vintage-
Jupiter 8 (Very hard to emulate but worth it me thinks!)
Prophet 5
Oberheim OBXa

New-
Anything!!!! (A completely original, great sounding new filter would be really exciting. The Original Virus LP is the nicest sounding digital filter ive ever heard....its practically perfect. Obviously, Access have the technical know-how to make great filters.....)

Im with HC on this one. However, Im not in any rush to see new filters....I'd rather Access take their time. I have a shit load of versatility to be getting on with in the mean time anyways......

Im looking forward to showing u all my synthguitar tone I made. Im just waiting for CNet to accept it....then I'll post link.

DS
Old 16.06.2004, 10:34 AM

Thx Marc,

Give me a week to sort my stuff out at university and Ill be in contact.

DS