Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 10.02.2006, 08:09 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc
Quote:
>is the quality of the signal coming out of the Virus Control using USB poor in any way?<

isn't it obvious?
not to me. please explain

marc
okay: 16bits
i assume that you did receive your TI by now. make a simple test: use the virus as your audio interface and play a patch through the virus control. this way you send the signal by USB to your PC and back again. next you switch this part to the analog outs and compare the sound.do you hear a difference?.

best, marc
Old 10.02.2006, 09:07 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

is the best Analog outs......
Old 10.02.2006, 09:10 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
>is the quality of the signal coming out of the Virus Control using USB poor in any way?<

isn't it obvious?

marc
i assume that you did receive your TI by now. make a simple test: use the virus as your audio interface and play a patch through the virus control. this way you send the signal by USB to your PC and back again. next you switch this part to the analog outs and compare the sound.do you hear a difference?.

best, marc
Hello marc,
no, I didn't receive it yet. And to be honest, I'd be surprised when I would receive it anytime in february. I'm waiting since Nov 17th.

Hmm, and to the 16 bits. Do you hear any difference between 16bit Audio and 24 bit Audio? admittedly it's very slight, but you can hear it in a proper environment... And recording a professional studio equipment in 16 bits is like a ferrari with ordinary tires... You probably don't hear the dirrerence in the first moment, but after some postprocessing the difference is obvious. But marc, you are from a professional audio company, do I have to tell you that?
Old 10.02.2006, 09:48 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

isn't it obvious?

marc

best, marc
You probably don't hear the dirrerence in the first moment, but after some postprocessing the difference is obvious.
exactly. when you mix there is a huge difference inbetween 16 and 24 bit. because you need dynamics when you mix. this is post processing to me.
but when you record, especially instruments which are usually recorded hot and do not have a very dynamic output (in reality) it doesn't matter really.
we have very much considered the consequences of sending a 16 bit signal using USB and we are extremely happy with this decision.

the resolution, the virus's sound engine can calculate in is 56bit. but this doesn't mean that you need to use a 56bit d/a converter in order to get a high-detail sound experience.

best, marc
Old 11.02.2006, 01:29 PM
Veteran
Veteran

just to avoid confusion: this whole thread is about the _internal_ communication in between the Virus TI hardware and the Virus Control plug-in. you can use the TI in, for example, a 24bit/96k project without problems.

marc
Old 14.02.2006, 02:34 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:

best, marc
Hey I recieved mine. This is not a guessing game. Just simple audio technology understanding.
The simple test should include a long release on the envelope or a long reverb tail followed by a external (vst/dx) compressor, some eq etc. This should lead most people to the easy answer that the analog outputs sound best. I can supply a simple A/B file demonstration for those how have no clue as to what the quiet part of 16bit sounds like.

Quote:
just to avoid confusion: this whole thread is about the _internal_ communication in between the Virus TI hardware and the Virus Control plug-in. you can use the TI in, for example, a 24bit/96k project without problems.

marc
Marc, even in a 24bit/96k project the virus TI Control plug-in the signal has the resolution of 16bit, it was sent as 16bit / 48k or 16bit / 44k and then interpolated to the project resolution. It still only holds 16bits of loudness information and can still be exposed.
Old 14.02.2006, 02:36 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:

best, marc
Hey I recieved mine. This is not a guessing game. Just simple audio technology understanding.
The simple test should include a long release on the envelope or a long reverb tail followed by a external (vst/dx) compressor, some eq etc. This should lead most people to the easy answer that the analog outputs sound best. I can supply a simple A/B file demonstration for those how have no clue as to what the quiet part of 16bit sounds like.

Quote:

marc
Marc, even in a 24bit/96k project the virus TI Control plug-in the signal has the resolution of 16bit, it was sent as 16bit / 48k or 16bit / 44k and then interpolated to the project resolution. It still only holds 16bits of loudness information and can still be exposed.
Old 14.02.2006, 07:05 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drammy
I never stated that the Analog outs were poor, absolutely not. They are good, that is why I would like to be able to use them coming into my RME, rather than the USB.

Back to the original question - is it possible to turn off the auto compensation on just the Virus - this should enable us to achieve what we would like.

Marc, I have been a keen Access customer for many years and am certainly not slating your product, I love it. I am meerly asking if you can consider making this possible, which in turn is helping us set-up our system...

Drammy
"
Back to the original question - is it possible to turn off the auto compensation on just the Virus - this should enable us to achieve what we would like."

no, you can't turn it off just for the channels which use the virus TI analog outs. but we are very aware of the problems and limitations this causes and we're working on a solution.

so what do you mean with "surely we shouldn't have to chose between sound quality or timing...". is the quality of the signal coming out of the Virus Control using USB poor in any way?

marc
As marc say - you cant switch it on/off on a per channel basis through a single plugin. Depending upon your DAW, you may be able to switch it off globally for the VC plugin (and then allways use the analog outs).

If Cubase SX, then "Devices -> Plugin information", find the TI and uncheck use delay compensation. This will make the USB channel more or less useless for anything but pads and you will then have to remember to switch all the part outs the analog. You will also have to force a reload of VC for this to work after changing it (as Cubase only reads the compenation value at plugin load time).
Old 14.02.2006, 03:21 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTATION
dr. orange: Before processing, could you really distinguish a 24bits audio track from a 16bits?
For sure you can, 24bit has more dynamic range and can push out a fatter louder signal without distortion! I-e a 16bit sample sound-sample will sound like (l l l l l l l) where as a 24bit will sound like (llllllllllllll) difference is a thin sound-sample as to compare to a thick sound.

I know lets go back to 8bit aye

8bit=( l l l l l l l l ) 16bit=( l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l) 24bit=(llllllllllllllllllllllll)