Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 30.07.2009, 08:44 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default SPDIF vs Analog

if my sound card has SPDIF on it, would i getter better quality from the Virus SPDIF to my soundcard's, or should i stick with analog
Old 30.07.2009, 08:53 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

another related question that should be asked is - is there a major difference in sound quality using spdif over the TI's usb connection? off the top of my head I don't think there is, so I would say you are better off going with usb vs spdif. So now your main question should probably be USB vs Analog, in which case, things such as what sample rate and bit depth would you be using with your sound card, plus are the converters on your sound card highly rated would come into consideration.
Old 30.07.2009, 09:04 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Jones View Post
another related question that should be asked is - is there a major difference in sound quality using spdif over the TI's usb connection? off the top of my head I don't think there is, so I would say you are better off going with usb vs spdif. So now your main question should probably be USB vs Analog, in which case, things such as what sample rate and bit depth would you be using with your sound card, plus are the converters on your sound card highly rated would come into consideration.
Actually I think the SPDIF should still be discussed because I'm using my Polar with VC and I have a TC Electronic SK48 which I got for its 10 analog inputs. I wanted to be able to get 6 separate channels from the Virus into Cubase. I'm able to accomplish this with the 3 USB and 3 Analog outs. Unfortunately the 3 analog outs use up 6 of my inputs. I can't remember now as I'm not in front of my Polar but shouldn't I be able to output more than one channel from SPDIF into my sound card and then split the channels in the Cubase External instruments setup? This would save me analog inputs and would also skip a redundant digital-analog-digital conversion before the Virus sound gets to Cubase.
Old 30.07.2009, 09:07 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Jones View Post
if thats the case.. these are my converters:

24-bit A-D Converter for Analog Inputs: Cirrus-Logic CS5381* 1 (120dB SNR, Max. 192kHz/24bit).

looking to record at highest possible sample rate/bit depth. also considering m-audio's audiophile 2496 or 192 if my soundcard isnt up to it