Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 07.01.2004, 08:28 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Who designed the Access Virus??

Im interested to know who designed the Virus!

Ive read alot of stuff about Dave Smith (Sequential Prophet 5, Pro1 etc) and Tom Oberheim (OBXA, OB8 etc)...those guys are kinda reveered nowadays.....

Oh god im such a geek....im even considering opening up my Virus so that I can take photos of its insides...... lol

Are any of u interested to know whats inside your Virus?

DS
Old 07.01.2004, 09:12 AM
Administrator

I'm sure the lead designer is mentioned on the introduction chapter in the manual (at the end with signature). I just can't recall the name.

Well, not much to see in side the Virus. It's like watching your computer motherboard. Few bigger chips here and there and then just lots and lots of tiny SMD resistors, caps, transistors, FET's, etc.
Old 07.01.2004, 10:43 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Christoph Kemper is the father of the Virus. He is responsible for coding the synth engine. Guido Kirsch helped design the original interface AFAIK.
Old 08.01.2004, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Who designed the Access Virus??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Oh god im such a geek....im even considering opening up my Virus so that I can take photos of its insides...... lol

Are any of u interested to know whats inside your Virus?

DS
im not that interested in whats inside my VC, im more interested in what sounds i can get to come out of my VC.

and by the way, yes u r a geek! hehe jk.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 14.01.2004, 08:29 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Per Kristian

I have seen whats inside my Virus! I have even done some soldering in it, that was scary!!!
Old 14.01.2004, 09:02 PM

how did u open up your KB? Cos i need to look inside mine and sort a key constact out + tighten up a side panel.

DS
Old 01.02.2004, 04:15 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
how did u open up your KB? Cos i need to look inside mine and sort a key constact out + tighten up a side panel.

DS
Well, I just bought a KB a couple days ago, and it had 2 loose screws rolling around inside (other than that, excellent condition). I was able to take it apart and put them back in their positions, here is what to do:

Remove all of the little tiny metal screws from around the perimeter of the unit's base. They're really short, maybe 1/4" or 3/8" long.

Then, there are four longer machine screws (1/2" long), two on each side of the machine, right next to the endcaps. Remove these.

Now, there are 2 of those same little tiny metal screws in the middle of the base of the machine. I removed those, but I don't think it's necessary: they just secure a structural brace; I had to put the brace back on before I put the keyboard back together. So I would try to do it without removing those: I'm all but certain they don't have to be removed.

Now you're ready to take the bottom off, I had to have my wife help me with this. The left side of the keyboard (side with modwheels) will come up gently. The right side, however, hangs up on the endcap. So I had my wife hold the left side up slightly, while I very gently pulled out on the endcap so it would clear. Doesn't have to come out much, and it didn't make any funny noises or do anything scary. Once it's free, the whole keybed will come up, and you can pull it out from under the tab on the rear of the machine. Now, there is a bunch of cabling that connect the keybed to the motherboard and so forth. I was able to set the keybed on the ground immediately behind the machine without disconnecting any of these.

Finally, three notes:

1. All of the larger head screws on the base of the unit stay IN. These simply fasten the keybed to the base.

2. I used a couple layers of some large bubble wrap on the ground to support the unit, so as not to damage any knobs, keys, etc. It worked well, and I would definitley recommend it as insurance.

3. I am NOT a technician of any kind. Taking the board apart was fairly basic, but I would recommend doing it only if you judge your electrical/equipment knowledge to be sufficient (I really had no problems, and you shouldn't if you're careful and conscientious).

Good luck, hope it helps-
Old 16.06.2004, 10:53 AM

Thx man

I like looking inside synths. Ive looked inside the Jupiter 8, Pro-One, Prophet 5.....I like to see how its all laid out. In later life I'd love to design a synth. Do you guys reckon its easier to design a synth in software or analog?

The code they use for softsynths (Or virus)....how do I get access to this software and learn how to use it?

DS
Old 16.06.2004, 12:35 PM
Veteran
Veteran

There are a few programs in which you can design your own synths:

Reaktor is probably the most popular, but Tassman is also worth a look.

There is also something called Synthedit, which allows you to export your instruments as VSTi's. Google it.

As for getting hold of the code or development tools for the Virus - I think you're being a little optimistic there
Old 16.06.2004, 12:39 PM

Thx Ben

BTW, does anyone know of any industrial spies?

DS