Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 22.05.2004, 08:08 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default frustrated with midi interface software

Hi everyone....

im kind of new to this.....

i can't get sounddiver to work for the life of me... it just won't communicate even though i have my midi in/outs, device IDs, and sys ex turned on correctly....

then i tried borg station....but that won't work either....
everytime i tried to "get patch" or "get bank" it keeps telling me
"receiving failed....incorrect device ID" which is crap....

I have no idea how to organize my sounds....
and it is really becoming a problem.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know.
Old 22.05.2004, 11:29 PM

Do you have midi problems with other software or is it just the sounddiver and similar programs?
Old 23.05.2004, 12:23 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

as far as i know, its only been with these programs.....
Old 24.05.2004, 01:17 PM
Pro
Pro

Can you record MIDI from the Virus to Cubase or whatever you use? If you can, then that's a start because it's essentially doing the same thing as it would do in Soundiver i.e. transmitting data, which would lead me to the conclusion that it's the software:

Make sure the device ID is set to 1 in both the Virus and the software.

Make sure it's coming through the correct midi port in the software, (best use the one you use for your sequencing software).

Are you having problems with both transmitting and receiving?
Old 25.05.2004, 12:14 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

so i finally got sounddiver to work, not sure how but all of a sudden it started "requesting" to my virus....

1) however..... sometimes, randomly i think, say i want to get all the info for bank A, while its receivin for each patch, it may get stuck on one, and then give me midi errors, once i exit and open sounddiver again, it will work again, and i continue from where i left off.....

is this just a bug of some sort?

2) also, whenever i hit "audition" to audition the sound, i don't hear anything. i clearly see a "S,E" message being received on my virus....
i seem to be able to receive information from the virus to sounddiver, but
it doesn't seem to be transmitting....

is there some setting that needs to be set on the virus?

3)whever i load in a new sounddiver .lib file of new sounds, a list of the sounds come up in a separate window, when i go and try to "audition" any one of the new sounds, whatever the current patch is on the physical virus is displaying in single mode for instance, i hear that sound get played...otherwise, auditioning any sounds from the instrument page, doesn't work.

im so close to getting it to work....

it seems as if its getting data ok, but having some major issues sending it?
Old 25.05.2004, 08:57 PM

Hi clubbed out:

1) I think this is a common problem for some sounddiver users. Apparently its all the midi interface fault, or some driver incompatibility*. The soution so far is the same you are using: restart soundiver and continue from where it was left.

2) I have the same exact problem, but it only happens with sounddiver, not with midiquest (for example). Of course this will be another midi interface / driver problem of some sort*.

3) I dont know, I dont use sounddiver anymore.

You may find it useful to check the archives in this forum.

*Personally I blame sounddiver for these problems, but the official answer is driver / midi problems.
Old 25.05.2004, 10:07 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I used the included Virus SoundDiver CD to initially attempt to communicate and transfer (MIDI/SysEx) patches to and from the Virus, and I could not for the life of me get it to work! I must've tried everything, and it still didn't find and/or recognise the Virus on the other end! Fustrated me for several days.

Uninstalling that special Virus-SoundDiver version and instead installing a full version of SoundDiver in its place worked an absolute treat. Immediately found/recognised my Virus and sent/received patches with no trouble whatsoever.
Old 26.05.2004, 04:48 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

when you say the full version, do you mean the one you can download off access' site?
Old 26.05.2004, 11:30 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hi Clubbed.

In my case, it was only the full, full Emagic SoundDiver program (the main version that caters for every synth, not just the Virus) that worked, unfortunately.
Old 27.05.2004, 02:20 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

I too have the problems you describe, and as such I don't bother using Sounddiver (and it certainly doesn't make me want to buy it.. you'd think they'd want to fix compatibility issues like this)