Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 12.02.2006, 08:36 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by solconnection
is there anything particular to look up theory wise in regards to modulating voicings (as searching for voicings/modulation in any combo didnt really give me any results)

im trying more and more to get into the theory and this sounds interesting

have a nice day
-Dan
Dont think so - at least I havnt found much, but cant say I have ever looked for it. (And no I'm not a trained musician - just a hacker).

Heres a for eg:

Play a Eb7maj chord normal voicing with a nice silky pad - if you have a C or TI - find the "slowsilk" patch as a for eg.
Eb(4), G(4), Bb(4) D(5).

(Numbers in brackets are the midi octave numbers, so middle C is C4, D above is D4 etc)

Nice chord, sounds ok, but maybe a little thin?

Try voicing as follows:

Eb(2), Bb(4) D(5), G(5)

Sounds rather different and yet the same? Nice shiny highs and some good low-end subtle body to it, and yet its stays quite airy and doesnt overpower in the way that octave layered patches tend to? I think when voiced like this it has a lovely rich orchestral feel to it.

Welcome to the world before super-saws

If you are programming rather than playing, then maybe drop the 5th (Bb) down an octave as well - personally I prefer the sound usually when only the root is dropped, which also has the advantage of leaving the voicing playable.

Its quite common to split the 1st and 5th out of 7th chords and drop them down an octave relative to 3rd and 7th. Also you down have to play all 4 notes of a 7th, or all 5 of a 9th etc.

Just experiment with stuff, try different invertions, drop the root down an octave or two etc - if you listen to the vengence demos I think alot of them use similar voicings. Same with Ben if I remember right in his NAMM demos.

I think classical piano lessons tend not to pay much attension to this kind of thing unless you are also learning orchestral arrangement (so you can figure out how to split a 7th/9th/11th etc across violins, violas, cello, contra etc). Jazz and Blues orientated lessons on the other hand live and breathe by this if you have a half decent teacher.
Old 12.02.2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The girl next door
I was wondering just out of interest.Can you load Ti soundsets/Patches into the Powercore virus?????
Isnt that based upon a B?

I would guess the answer is no *if* the earlier models check the product ID number in the sysex dumps.

Otherwise some of the params appear to have subtly changed - some of the config orientated ones at least since the C.

You may be lucky - it might just simply ignore the params it doesnt understand - the sysex format does potentially make some degree of forwards compatibility possible.

Try it (though I never said nuthin if your powercore try to do an impression of Chernobyl
Old 12.02.2006, 08:58 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Try it (though I never said nuthin if your powercore try to do an impression of Chernobyl
I got a powercore but no Virus for it,i went for the Ti instead
I was just wondering if it was possible
http://www.thegirlnextdoor.de/Virusforum.htm
http://www.myspace.com/thegirlnextdoormusic
Old 12.02.2006, 11:45 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to aisling

Quote:
Originally Posted by solconnection
Quote:
Originally Posted by aisling

VERY WELL SAID.........one of the shameful tragedies of the trance genre (as a whole, excluding pioneering innovators) is the inability to modulate voicings.
I am actually a guitar player first and formost, and rely on voicings a lot. I got into being an electronica composer/producer (not pro) by defualt. I just got sick of the "fluff pop/cock rock/gansta rap/emo" that has been shoved at us since the early 90's. At least here in the good old US (about to bomb iran into the stone age) of A
is there anything particular to look up theory wise in regards to modulating voicings (as searching for voicings/modulation in any combo didnt really give me any results)

im trying more and more to get into the theory and this sounds interesting

have a nice day
-Dan
A chord consists of a 1, 3, 5 notes in a scale of 8 tones (this is a major chord! for example sake, you can add 7ths flat 3's 2nd's, etc....the possibilities are varried but we will keep it short and easy)

That is a chord in the 1st voicing.....now change that around so the chord starts on the 3, 5....1(octave higher)

and it is now the second voicing........still the exact same chord, butt the notes are mixed up....

does that help?

Living Green, this is how we do it.....
http://www.creativeartflow.com/Joyre...rt/gallery.htm
Old 12.02.2006, 11:50 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The girl next door
Quote:
I got a powercore but no Virus for it,i went for the Ti instead
I was just wondering if it was possible
Are you happy with the powercore? what version firewire or pci? mac/intell?I jumed in a little fast with the powecore virus, if done over I would have saved the $$toward the T1. But it is a nice Efx plugin to have in ones arsinal...

Old 13.02.2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drammy
Spread voicings? Khazul, would you care to elaborate - I've never heard of this, not sure if I use a different term or if it is a new technique - is it just layering?
Drammy
No and No - I otherwise call it f*****g about

It is commonly taught by jazz teachers though (ironically*) - I cant remember what the proper term is (or even if there is one), I just call it spread voicings and most people with some concept of voicings or invertions get the picture...

Hopefully my other answer makes sense.

* ironic because its main application is orchestral arrangement, but jazz players tend to play common 7th upwards chords in rather non-obvious ways, so its taught early by jazz orientated teachers as a lead in to improvisation. Maybe classical teachers get around to it eventually... but then jazz is about fekking about while classical is about formal structure and bizarre voicing on one instrument (piano) is probably frownbed upon...

BTW - I thoroughly recommend any trance producer takes some time to study jazz, or even get a jazz keys teacher who can throw a bit of useful loose composition and harmony theory at you as well.

Who knows you might find a use for those black keys
Old 13.02.2006, 12:26 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drammy
Spread voicings? Khazul, would you care to elaborate - I've never heard of this, not sure if I use a different term or if it is a new technique - is it just layering?
Drammy
No and No - I otherwise call it f*****g about

It is commonly taught by jazz teachers though (ironically*) - I cant remember what the proper term is (or even if there is one), I just call it spread voicings and most people with some concept of voicings or invertions get the picture...

Hopefully my other answer makes sense.

* ironic because its main application is orchestral arrangement, but jazz players tend to play common 7th upwards chords in rather non-obvious ways, so its taught early by jazz orientated teachers as a lead in to improvisation. Maybe classical teachers get around to it eventually... but then jazz is about fekking about while classical is about formal structure and bizarre voicing on one instrument (piano) is probably frownbed upon...

BTW - I thoroughly recommend any trance producer takes some time to study jazz, or even get a jazz keys teacher who can throw a bit of useful loose composition and harmony theory at you as well.

Who knows you might find a use for those black keys
Yeah.......there are 11 other notes besides "C" which much trance falls into.....

Old 14.02.2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Inversions? Voicings? First inversion, second inversion etc. is where you flip the top note of the chord to the octave below? Voicings is where you choose a note from the chord with your other hand? Sounds plausible! I didn't know it was restricted to Jazz, but yeah... really important for that jazzy sound. I too like to refer to this as, "f*cking about."
Mr O
Old 14.02.2006, 07:46 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to nailgun23

And don't forget to tweek the softknobs every once and again!
Old 14.02.2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Orange
I didn't know it was restricted to Jazz, but yeah... really important for that jazzy sound. I too like to refer to this as, "f*cking about."
Mr O
It isnt - its used in just about everything you hear - but it just seems that only jazz teachers will bring it up very early on.