Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 11.06.2009, 12:53 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Lightbulb Stories on what interested you to buy the VIRUS TI!

Hey guys, I wanted to buy my 4th synthesizer and I made sure to myself and promised myself that I am motivated to raise money to buy the Virus TI 2. So for a motivational kick... Please share a story with me about how you got your first Virus TI or Virus TI 2, and how it felt to finally grasp all that German engineered power.
Old 11.06.2009, 01:05 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Welcome here too !!
I have 6 synths, and from my all of them, I have 2 Access Viruses now.
The KC and the TI.
Absolutely love them and use them for 90% of my work.
And would again consider a TI2, if someone would give me the money.
Brilliant Pads, EFX and basses. Which is exactly what I like.
P.S. - VC is good, but I'm old school and run everything MIDI still. I find it more stable. Then again, the GUI is awesome for tweaks
Old 11.06.2009, 01:38 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

My Indigo was my 4th synth, and compared to the others it just blows them out of the water. I suddenly realised what I had been missing, in that I had been trying so hard to make the other synths sound half decent when in fact you can't polish a turd.

If there happened to be a natural disaster and I lost all my gear, without a second thought the Virus would be the first one I'd buy.

Last edited by Timo : 12.06.2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12.06.2009, 03:03 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

My first synth was the virus snow. And I am really very happy.
Old 13.06.2009, 02:40 AM
Am starting to like this forum

I was intrigued by the warm, deep sound of the Virus series years ago whilst playing an Indigo. Had to listen past the techno presets (I despise techno) for the underlying character, which went MILES beyond what my VA's at the time could do. Finally bought a TI keyboard in 2006 because I could (those were the days ), before version 2 was released. V2 added all the crunchy wavetable stuff...essentially a whole new synth for free. Then 2.7, and 3.0...love it more every day.
Old 13.06.2009, 02:45 AM

The 1 pole filter sweep ben does on this video: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=1960

And of course the wavetables he goes through.

After those I was hooked.
Old 14.06.2009, 02:42 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I've got the very bestest of Virus TI stories. It's more like a fairy tale that came true!

I always wanted a Virus. I had a handful of hardware synths but none of them cost more than $1,000. At the time, I never thought any digital synth was really worth $2,000+ dollars anyway and I was happy enough with my E-MU XL-7.

One day I noticed Nova Musik was giving away a free Virus TI. All you had to do was enter your email address and they would draw one randomly from the thousands of entries they received. I thought "what the hell, I'll enter". I also made a point of making my girlfriend enter the contest to increase the chances of winning.

So I kind of forgot about it and a couple months pass. We're out having dinner at TGIF's when my girlfriend gets a call on her cell phone from Tony Gral, the owner of Nova Musik. He was calling to tell her she was the winner of the giveaway contest and that he would be shipping out the Virus ASAP! I told her she could put it on ebay and sell it if she wanted to. She insisted I keep it and use it! Crazy, huh?

Once it showed up and I plugged it in, scrolled through a couple of presets.... I knew exactly why they cost so much goddamn money! Amazing sound. Probably the most expressive and inspiring instrument I've ever played.
Old 14.06.2009, 04:44 AM

Great read fellas, here's my Virus TI love story

I was a software-only guy, started with trackers (Fast Tracker / Impulse Tracker / Buzz) then moved to Reason, then moved to Cubase with Reason ReWired. I was pretty happy with the sounds I was getting out of Reason and VSTis like Zebra2. I had been hearing everywhere that the Virus was an awesome synth for electronic music which sparked my interest.

I started to fall in love with the Virus sound when I heard the demos of Vengeance presets on their site. I spent hours trying to reproduce even one of the sounds but fell short, I simply couldn't get any software synth to sound as aggressive as the Virus yet still stay musical. Furthermore, in certain tunes, where I heard a sound that really stood out, I could never reproduce it. I actually checked out these artists' sites and even got in contact with a few to see what their secret was ... the answer was almost always, "oh, that's the Virus".

For over a year, I attempted to decide what to buy. I couldn't afford the Virus TI so I was considering the Virus Powercore. Due to all the forum posts on how terrible it was, I never went ahead with the purchase though.

So 2009 came and I said, enough is enough, this is going to be the year I get my TI!! Several days into January, I checked eBay as I usually did, and found a Buy It Now TI desktop in my state for a very good price! It took me 15 minutes to convince myself before I pressed the button.

I must admit that I thought the TI would indeed replace all my softsynths but instead, it has ended up being an excellent compliment to them. I still love Thor and Zebra2 as much as I ever did, in fact some sounds that I need are better produced by these synths. But, the TI brings such a different flavor to the table, it's almost a different breed of synth. I find myself using it for all bassline duties and hard sweeps / fx. It is indeed an amazing synth and I don't think I could be without it again!

Excuse me while I cuddle with it ...
Old 14.06.2009, 05:33 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Inspirational Sound

I used to mess with electronic sounds some ten years ago, then about 3 years ago came across some money and bought a Mac Book Pro, Logic Studio and a Remote SL controller. I had some fun with that kit, but got sick of having to boot up the Mac then load Logic to get any sound.

I thought I would like a hardware synth for the imediacy and power it could offer. I remembered seeing a Polar in my local keyboard shop around 2005 and thought to myself that looked and sound devine, but realised it was out of my reach.

When the Snow came out I demoed one and thought the sound was mind blowing. My 40th was coming up and I thought I would love a Polar. I sold my MBP, Logic and the remote SL and bought the Polar.

It would have to be one of my best purchases, it is soo deep and I know I will spend the next 5 to 10 years exploring its potential.

There is something to be said for a piece of hardware, it has character and presence, something software lacks.

Great thread by the way.....
Old 15.06.2009, 12:37 AM

Ok here's mine:
It was 2003 - I'd just bought my first real synth (MS2000) and I wanted more. Living in NYC at the time, it was easy to check out the Virus in person either at 48th St. or in my case, at "two lines music" cuz I lived downtown within walking distance. But the lowest price I could find was from Novamusik, so I bit the bullet and ordered it. Then the day came and it arrived, I remember being so excited. A brand new Virus C desktop. I setup a keyboard, plugged in the power, grabbed some headphones. I wanted to focus and dedicate a whole afternoon staring at that delicious red screen.

I turned on the power. Cooooool, so excited. Played a few notes. Sounds great! So I decided to go deeper... I grabbed the filter knob and proceeded to engage in my first filter sweep and then...

...the power went out. 2003 North America blackout.