Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 25.07.2009, 04:43 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default FR: VC Standalone

This is probably old but why can't I use VC standalone?
Since I like the great overview of VC I have to start Live each time I want to play or make patches (my Nanokey has no midi out).

I hope to see Virus Control Standalone!
Old 25.07.2009, 05:00 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Oh, nooooo please don't start this again.........

Everybody knows that this will not happen, ACCESS isn't going to create a standalone VC!!

This is because the sound is generated in the synth itself and not in the PC/MAC. The VIRUS is hardware not software.......

Not offering a standalone VC it is the best thing ACCESS could do.

So, this is the final point, basta.....
Old 25.07.2009, 06:04 PM
Complete Newbie

Eh ok! I did make a search before posting this but I didn't find much.
I'm afraid your answer doesn't make much sense to me.
The VC IS already an editor -a great one imo. So it should be available even if you don't want to use a sequencer program IMHO.

But of course if Access has said they won't make it, I will not go on with this...
Old 25.07.2009, 06:54 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Hi Soarer,

I assume you want to use the VC without buying a sequencer programm?

No problem, there is a free running software called VSTHost which you can think of just a wrapper arround the VC.
Especially for me as snow owner it is great to listen, test and modify sounds at the VC because at the snow it is not so comfortable entering all the menus via buttons.

Here you can get it:

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

This information I get myself from 'Summa' here in the forum.
http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=30743

Regards
Old 25.07.2009, 11:18 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atziluth View Post
Not offering a standalone VC it is the best thing ACCESS could do.
Would it disappoint you much if they do?
Old 25.07.2009, 11:48 PM
Complete Newbie

Hi NoLie6 no I do own Ableton Live and usually start it up to play with my TI2 Desktop but it would make great sense if I could just start the VC directly when auditioning the presets or making my own patches and it would be nice for those who don't own a sequencer I think.
So there's no problem I just think it would make sense.
Old 26.07.2009, 08:29 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I doubt Access will spend development time on something that can be done easily with freely available tools.

Google for "free vst host", there are several. I personally like the one that comes with the JUCE library:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3298.html

Haven't tested it with VC, but suppose it'll work. Instantiate the Virus Control plugin, make all required MIDI and audio connections and save the configuration to a file. Hope this helps
Old 29.07.2009, 05:56 PM
Complete Newbie

My feature request persists. It is only to be expected (IMO -Ok?) that you can use this great editor without having to launch your DAW everytime -if you have one. I also asked my friend and he surely agreed.
The GUI is already made so it shouldn't take that much developing time.
This is my opinion so please respect that.
Old 29.07.2009, 07:40 PM
Very mucho Newbie

@ Soarer

We all are respecting your request and we also understand what you want, but we are not working for ACCESS, so we are offering solutions to your problem.

I would say that you have to send ACCESS an e-mail with your request and see what kind of answer they are giving. Even with persistance, you can't make any decision for ACCESS or force them to do anything (also when your friend is saying it's easy to implement).
Old 29.07.2009, 07:43 PM
Complete Newbie

I think Soarer means just a stand alone synth editor and librarian like everyone else does rather than total integration. I for one am behind this as well.

This is just my observation, but the VC is a never ending rat race of constant os releases and an Access resource hog to try and make the virus ti work on every combination of software DAW that comes out for every platform in realtime. While they have done a good job at attempting this, its far from perfect. It was a good idea on paper. It simply doesnt work for everyone and as a consequence the Virus TI OS is still riddled with bugs.

I say drop it. No one else does this and with good reason. I dont have it on my other synths and dont use it on my Virus. For those who do fair enough, you have it working on whatevery you are using. That doenst mean Access is obligated to continue this maddness.

It eats up to much development resources. Just make a stand alone editor and librarian and call it a day. This way Access can get back to adding feature updates regularly rather than always putting out fires evertime a software manufacturer comes out with this years revisions.

While Access keeps tinkering with this bug and that bug other synth makers are adding Flash RAM for sample usage through their signal path.

While Access is at it, maybe they can release an OS version without all the TI nonsense for those who dont need it. One thats lighter and better optimized like good old days freeing resources for more valuable things like more filter options, new osc types and additional envelope generators.