Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 09.07.2013, 07:14 PM
Newborn
Newborn

Default Please help me decide if i should pick up a T12 Keyboard

Hi ppl, I'm on the verge of buying one of these. I really would appricate some feed back to help me decide....

I wish to buy one to use with my Mac Book Pro running 10.6.8 and Logic Pro 8, does that sound good, ok?

I'm hoping to craft sounds for that dungeon dubstep sound, especially the dark/low grovel and reecee basses ( artists like Kryptic Minds and the kind of general material that gets played on RinseFM/Youngsta show for those that may know )

Anything else electronic is a bonus, ambient/pads/atmosphere's etc....

I also hope to get some sound sets as well, by my description above can anybody point me to distributors of Virus sound banks that would fit in?

Finally... The price of these things are still high ( UK £1,999 ish more or less new )

I've noticed most shops offer a 30 money back grantee, I've also thought about looking for one second hand and save myself at least 450/500,

Please share your thoughts, I've got the cash to go new but second might be a good move as well

Thanks in advance
Old 19.10.2013, 12:19 AM
New here
New here

I'm in a similar boat to you, wondering if the Access Virus is the best synth for my needs although I think my needs are different to yours. I've been a guitarist for just over 8 years and want to expand into ambient/dark ambient territory.

Can anyone tell me if this is would be a great synth to accomplish that with?
Old 19.10.2013, 02:15 AM
Pro
Pro

I would say YES! Now, I own the Virus KC and KB and using them exactly for ambient, atmos, alien soundscapes, and seeing how Virus Engine is very similar, especially to the KC, would imagine the Ti2 would make that on steroids!
No, I do not own the Ti, but most people agree the Virus C (my KC) are pretty similar and some even prefer as well as Virus B, which seems it can be "warmer" or rip your face off...reason I still have both.
Run your guitar through any Virus external input and you have Dr. Who's Tele Booth to travel sonically, very far away...and no sleep allowed for days~!
Old 19.10.2013, 04:45 AM
New here
New here

Can you actually run your guitar through it and get the Virus sound? Wow, I wonder what that is actually like...
Old 19.10.2013, 05:36 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonelands View Post
Can you actually run your guitar through it and get the Virus sound? Wow, I wonder what that is actually like...
Well, more of an effects processor but a viral one. The external input acts as a "gate or trigger source" to open for instance the amp envelope with modulating the filter(s) at same time...although the Virus did not exist back in 80's but you could easily do some of the type of guitar synthesizer sounds Judas Priest worked with whatever album "Turbo Lover" came off of...know it was a yellow album but cannot think of name now....but an example of types of sounds when guitar and synth DNA have sonic babies!
Old 19.10.2013, 01:21 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

If you do intend to use a guitar with the TI, you might like to know that the TI also has 6 emulated 'stompbox' distortion models in the effects section along with a speaker cabinet emulation. I assume they are of a decent quality as Christoph Kemper (creator of the Virus) also makes profiling modelling amplifiers.

Yes, the TI can do ambient really well.

I imagine the Moog emulated filters in the Virus C and TI would be perfectly suitable for dubstep, however my old Indigo doesn't have those specific filters so cannot be sure.
Old 21.10.2013, 02:39 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
If you do intend to use a guitar with the TI, you might like to know that the TI also has 6 emulated 'stompbox' distortion models in the effects section along with a speaker cabinet emulation. I assume they are of a decent quality as Christoph Kemper (creator of the Virus) also makes profiling modelling amplifiers.

Yes, the TI can do ambient really well.

I imagine the Moog emulated filters in the Virus C and TI would be perfectly suitable for dubstep, however my old Indigo doesn't have those specific filters so cannot be sure.
I own the C and yes those filters can deliver the extra grit, in an analogue/characterful kind of way - not so much the digital, skrillex like kind of sound.

The Ti has also reviewd versions of some of the distortion fx included on the former models, including the C, I believe. I really dig the distortion sound on the C though, so it's surely a no brainer. The quality of the fx on the Virus is beyond believe for a VA instrument. There's simply nothing out there that even comes close. In particular, the sound of the reverb surprised me a lot and usually send some audio from DAW to Virus when looking for those big lushy reverb tails! Better then that you're talking Lexicon or Eventide here - and that's a lot of buck for dedicated fx units!

I can get pretty agressive sounds from the Virus, the positive triangle FM mode is amazing! I like the FM sound of the Virus A LOT! when the oscillators are synced, the sound is so precise and yet has a lot of dimension to it, unique textures you can get! the gritty kind! couple that with the fx and the wonderful sounding filters (and all the modulation options) and you're in for some spacial trip!
Old 21.10.2013, 06:59 PM
Pro
Pro

The Virus simply still rules them all! On some of those "other forums" you often get people talking trash and quite in error when they state their favorite lapse of reason by, "The Virus is ONLY good for Trance"....that is quite as absurd as stating water only tastes good when coming out of only one type of vessel--none other!
You need a Virus!