Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 01.10.2013, 07:28 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default Controlling OSC 1 & 2 pitch, manually

Hi, im trying to gain more control of the pitch modulation, as im looking for a specific effect. Right now im using the LFO to tune the OSC 1 & 2 pitch up or down, but im not happy with the effect? Or is there a way i can do this manually? I cant find OSC pitch anywhere else.

Im not talking about transpose or semitone, as these are "step" controlled (not smooth transition)

Thanks for reply
Old 01.10.2013, 08:34 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrdurrdurr View Post
Hi, im trying to gain more control of the pitch modulation, as im looking for a specific effect. Right now im using the LFO to tune the OSC 1 & 2 pitch up or down, but im not happy with the effect? Or is there a way i can do this manually? I cant find OSC pitch anywhere else.

Im not talking about transpose or semitone, as these are "step" controlled (not smooth transition)

Thanks for reply
lfo>pitch = vibratto effect.

if you tweak or automate the semitone knob you'll get a smooth transition.
Old 01.10.2013, 09:00 PM
Complete Newbie

ah ok. i dont have my virus in front of me now, but what you are saying is that i need to use the semitone on each OSC (1-2 and even 3), but with automation?

Is there a way to do all OCSs in one?
Old 01.10.2013, 10:09 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrdurrdurr View Post
ah ok. i dont have my virus in front of me now, but what you are saying is that i need to use the semitone on each OSC (1-2 and even 3), but with automation?

Is there a way to do all OCSs in one?
I still don't understand exactly what you're trying to do. but if it's control of the pitch for the oscillators at once, yes, it's doable. you can assign them to soft knobs or any other controler. but osc 2 & 3 are linked and always tuned together (linked)
Old 02.10.2013, 05:49 AM
Complete Newbie

hi again.. tried with automating the semitone on the oscillator, but it didnt work.. The transitions between the tones is not smooth, but step based.

This is what im trying to do: I have a pad sound playing the same chord for a long time. On that synth sound i have assigned LFO1 to control OSC1 and 2, with a pitch variation of 40 %. The LFO is set to saw, so the pitch smoothly goes from up to down. However, this method does not give me any control of when the pitch shift should start, pitch shift speed, and etc... So i would like to do this manually.

Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_CCyyvwffY go to 01.06 for the same type of effect.

So the problem here is basically: 1 - what function (like semitone) can do this, and 2 - how can it be done smoothly, preferably on OSC 1&2 together
Old 02.10.2013, 12:55 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

The LFO waveform can start wherever you want it to - you have to use the "Phase Init" feature within in the LFO menus. If phase init is set to 0, the LFO is free running, it starts anywhere, for all oscillators. However if phase init is set from 1 to 127, the LFO waveform will start from 0º to 360º at note-on accordingly.

If you want the LFO oscillators to be synchronised - i.e. using one LFO for all voices instead of one LFO per voice - change the LFO mode from Poly to Mono.

The pitch shift speed is determined by the LFO rate.

If you wish to stop the LFO cycling (looping), place the LFO in Env mode. In this mode, the LFO will do just one full revolution of the waveform, starting and stopping wherever you selected the phase-init value to be.

Still not entirely sure what you're after so sorry if the above isn't useful.
Old 02.10.2013, 01:37 PM
Veteran
Veteran

You need to turn on the "Adaptive Control Smoothing" on the "Common Edit page".

From the manual:

"We developed a feature called Adaptive Param-
eter Smoothing for the VIRUS that assures au-
tomated knob movements are carried out so
that parameter changes are not audible in steps
commonly called zipper noise.

You can also choose "transpose" as a destination for the modulation.
Old 03.10.2013, 01:59 PM
Complete Newbie

Great advice from both.. Im used to more analogue controlled devices so i didnt even think about editing the settings

Timo, you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
The LFO waveform can start wherever you want it to - you have to use the "Phase Init" feature within in the LFO menus. If phase init is set to 0, the LFO is free running, it starts anywhere, for all oscillators. However if phase init is set from 1 to 127, the LFO waveform will start from 0º to 360º at note-on accordingly.

If you want the LFO oscillators to be synchronised - i.e. using one LFO for all voices instead of one LFO per voice - change the LFO mode from Poly to Mono.

The pitch shift speed is determined by the LFO rate.

If you wish to stop the LFO cycling (looping), place the LFO in Env mode. In this mode, the LFO will do just one full revolution of the waveform, starting and stopping wherever you selected the phase-init value to be.
I like this idea. Then i can keep the LFO feeling, which is kind of random, yet controlled.

However, i have one problem. When i set OSC1+2 pitch to + xx %, The tone of the chord starts at a higher pitch, and gradually shit down towards the main tone, at 0%. This is the effect i want, however, i need it to start an the main tone (0%) and go down from here.. So if i hit a C chord, the tone should start at C, and the LFO should detune it down from here. Any tips on how i can set this up? (its exactly what you said, only that it starts and the key chord)

( so its exactly what you said, only that it starts and the
Old 03.10.2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran
Veteran

You're in luck again!

what you need is a ramp down shape for the LFO, you can do that by:

1. choose the triangle shape for the LFO

2. on the LFO settings, scroll to the contour parameter. negative contour gives you falling ramp, positive is rising ramp.

3. make sure you set the pitch modulation to a negative value! another thing, LFOs modulate in cycles, this means that this modulation will repeat itself during a cycle of time you set with the LFO's rate. unless you use it in Envelope Mode, like Timo pointed out!

4. where it lands is controled by the (negative) amount you set for the modulation, fine tune it to suite your needs.
Old 03.10.2013, 06:56 PM
Complete Newbie

Supertb.. definetly in luck.. thats exactly what i wanted.. Virus is getting more and more fun