Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 18.10.2011, 09:44 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default Recommended output settings for TI2

Hi guys, i was just wondering how you lot tend to set up virus. I have looked through the manuel and cant find anything regarding output settings. Should i use Stereo or Multi Output (3 x stereo) I have tried both but im not sure which one i should use. I have tried to use more than one instance of the TI too and when it loads up, it says there is no virus connected. Anyone got any ideas about that.

I have tried looking this up on the internet before posting but had no luck other than setting up the virus to a 16 multi timbre out. Would this help?

Cheers :-0
Old 19.10.2011, 02:18 AM
Complete Newbie

Default TI Outputs

You've got about four different questions rolled up into one. I'll try to break things out for you. The short answer is that the output setting is asking how many USB channels to assign to bring audio from the virus into your computer. Unless you're using a second multi-channel sound card and are doing projects like I describe below, or recording more than one voice at a time, Stereo is just fine.

As to the multiple Viruses, this only makes sense if you actually have more than one Virus device. If you do (lucky you), first try the stand alone software "Virus Control Center". This should see both devices, allow you to give them unique names, and hopefully they will show up as separate devices in your DAW.

The Virus has 3 play modes; single, multi and sequencer. When you have your Virus connected to your computer and the Virus Control Software launched, the Virus goes into sequencer mode. Sequencer mode allows you to load 16 different patches simultaneously but you can't save the set. Outside of the Virus Control software, "Multi Mode" also allows 16 channels of patches but you can save them - up to 128 sets to bring back instantly later. You can modify each channel to respond to different midi channels - which allows you to layer multiple patches together at once (i.e. one note plays 2 or more sounds together). "Single Mode" is where you usually are when the computer's disconnected and you are working on a patch.

For each channel(!) you have a choice of one of six stereo outputs or twelve mono outputs, plus a choice of a surround pair. You can set the balance and surround pan, and also use both as a modulation targets to move sounds around the four channels. Three of the stereo pairs are on the back of the unit (the first pair is the same as headphone out and the digital out - if you want consistency across all the channels use just the analog outs). The other three are via USB back to the computer - to use these you need a multi-channel sound card. I use a Presonus Firestudio 2626 myself. Remember - the choice of outputs is PER CHANNEL - you've got 16! That means you can have 16 different voices each panning complexly each across a different subset of four channels across a total of twelve output channels, possibly all triggered by one note. Find yourself two six plus channel amplifiers and twelve speakers, you'll never go back. You can make Jupiter 8's sound like a toy piano.

The output mode you want for this is "multi output", and you'll have to figure out how to configure the routing in your DAW software. It's pretty easy to set up a six channel version with just the analog outputs to see what it's like.

The input settings depend on if you want to use the Virus outputs as your computer's sound card, or are doing side chain effects (routing computer tracks through the Virus's effects). If you use the Virus analog inputs, you have to give up one of the USB channels.

75% of the time I've got the Virus in single mode, loading patches, tweaking knobs, and I'm wearing headphones. 15% of the time I'm playing on a master keyboard where I can select which channels are active, the Virus is in multi mode, I'm playing with layers, and I'm still wearing headphones. The last 10% the girlfriend's away, the house is shaking, and the cat's under the bed.

Hope this helps.
JGG
Attached Files
File Type: zip JGG-DS06.zip (78.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 19.10.2011, 05:39 PM
Complete Newbie

Wow thanks for the detailed feedback. I must say im a bit overwhelemed atm. This is the first bit of hardware so i am a total newbie right now lol.

I tried creating a multi tibre channel which than made 16 seperate channels in Logic. Now i can have 16 different sounds, but i cant treat each one like a separate channel, meaning i can mix my individual tracks. Is there anyway of doing what i am now but for instance, been able to solo and mute channels without all 16 soloing and muting.

I have SOOO much to learn. I hope im not been to annoying asking all the questions. Its not me been lazy i can assure you.

Thanks
Old 19.10.2011, 06:53 PM
Complete Newbie

Default Try inside Virus Control Software

On the left side of the Virus control interface is a bunch of mute, direct monitoring buttons, channel volume, pan, and patch info for each channel. If you want this control at the Logic track level I think you need to use single tracks rather than all in one. Note: this is independent from the audio routing that is happening through the USB, that takes place in the Logic mixer window, and has it's own set of per channel volume, panning, EQ, sends, etc. The first pair is usually set up for you, getting the second and third pair is a bit of a trick. I've used Logic 8, haven't upgraded to 9 yet.

It gets easier. Each part when broken down is simple, there's just lots of parts and many of them interact.
JGG
Old 20.10.2011, 04:36 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Access Virus TI multi-timbral multi-out Logic set-up guide
Old 26.10.2011, 02:00 PM
Complete Newbie

Thanks buddy....