Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 18.12.2020, 03:27 PM
New here
New here

Default Virus ti2 after a complicated patch just freeze on one tone, please help

Ive tried to search this forum for this first, but couldnt find anything. I bought a TI2 Desktop secondhand, ive always wanted one. And ive used it a few days now, and when it works its just awesome. The sounds i can produce is superior to any of my VSTs.. But, ive run into some trouble that i have seen on internet with other users here and there. Often when i make a complicated patch with say maybe 2 osc, a few effects, 2 LFOs modding maybe 5 parameters and put an arp in it produce a really cool sound and im excited to do something else with it. Then i turn up the ring modulation in the osc page and suddenly it just freeze on a sound that dont really come from the patch i was working on and its impossible to get rid of it, even if i press panic button. Ive noticed that it can happen sometime even when working on simpler patches aswell.. To fix it i need to delete the Virus TI channel, save the project, quit ableton, turn of the virus, restart computer, restart the Virus TI2 and start the project again. And when i then run the complicated patch i saved when the sound was frozen it sounds like it did before.. But as soon as i start doing anything the same f**** stuff happens. Sometimes I can still continue working on the second channel even if this freezing thing happens, but if i go to complicated there aswell the sound just disappear on that channel.. Cant get anything from the second channel no matter what i do.

Ive tried about damn everything. I have factory reset my computer, factory reset the TI2, changed USB port, done everything i could think of and still this keep happening. The TI2 dont have warranty anymore, the previous owner havent used it in a while but keept it sealed up in a box so it coudnt have been damaged at his place.. It looks really good overall, no damage on the virus and when i got it it was wrapped in bubbelplats so i dont think anything have happened to it during shipped. Ive installed the latest OS, and as i said i have factory rest the Virus, i have a good computer so that is not the problem. Please, give me a solution here, i really love the sound this synth is giving me when it works. I just want it to perform as good as it does in simpler patches when i wanna really get in deep with this synth.

Ive emailed access and they got back today, asking me some bullshit stuff i was running the ti snow software and some other basic stuff that ive already tried. Now its friday so i doubt i´ll get any respons from them for the next few days.

Does anyone have a clue what to do here. Do i need to find a USB1 cable somewhere if its maybe not updated for usb3? Maybe a powered USB hub? Can it be the hardware even if the Virus sounds awesome when it works, making basic saw sounds and stuff like that. Up until the point where it goes crazy its a wonderful machine...

Please moderators, dont delete this topic just because this has been in some other thread, i looked and couldt find it on the search here in the forum.

The last few days ive been so depressed about this I almost havent made any music... Does anyone know what to do here?? Do anyone have any tip for what could cause this???
Old 19.12.2020, 12:18 AM
This forum member lives here

It may not be your Virus at all... it can be anything from a MIDI loop to your DAW, USB issues, etc. Start by process of elimination... There are a lot of folks in the purely analog world who refuse to use USB on synths even for MIDI, because they insist it is the root cause of most things getting screwed up. If needed try MIDI + plain audio cables to your interface. Depending on what DAW you use, make sure you've properly got the hang of utilizing external hardware with it.
A lot of folks new to hardware synths (not saying you are, but just in case) are surprised to find there's a whole world of new stuff to learn in order to keep things running smoothly, but in the end its worth it for the difference in sound.

The only way to troubleshoot sometimes is to make sure you understand all of the points that can be changed. Change one at a time and see if it makes a difference. Repeat until you've found the culprit.
Old 19.12.2020, 03:20 PM
New here
New here

Do you know of some list with this information to cross out what the problem could be? This ti2 desktop is from 2009, could it be that the usb stuff in the hardware is outdated and needs to be changed in order to recieve and deliver information to my computer.. One thing i thought of was to open the usb cable and take away the cable in it that power stuff.. I was thinking, since the virus dont use power from the computer and only sends information that maybe like a power surge to the virus fucks it up? Maybe that is something.. i mean, 2009 USB was USB 1 i think, and the power that came through the cable was not the same that comes through now.. Am i completly on the wrong track here? Because ive set up the Virus in Ableton excaly following instructions and information from multipul sources..

Or maybe does it have something in the preferences-MIDI tab to do?
Old 19.12.2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykick666 View Post
Do you know of some list with this information to cross out what the problem could be? This ti2 desktop is from 2009, could it be that the usb stuff in the hardware is outdated and needs to be changed in order to recieve and deliver information to my computer.. One thing i thought of was to open the usb cable and take away the cable in it that power stuff.. I was thinking, since the virus dont use power from the computer and only sends information that maybe like a power surge to the virus fucks it up? Maybe that is something.. i mean, 2009 USB was USB 1 i think, and the power that came through the cable was not the same that comes through now.. Am i completly on the wrong track here? Because ive set up the Virus in Ableton excaly following instructions and information from multipul sources..

Or maybe does it have something in the preferences-MIDI tab to do?
I'm not aware of a troubleshooting checklist for this or any other hardware synth. What I always do is start with the broadest categories before digging into specifics of a single category. Like my prior suggestion of trying MIDI cables and straight audio to the interface... if the issue does not still occur, only THEN you know to start looking toward USB. I wouldn't focus troubleshooting efforts around USB until I had first narrowed it down.
Old 20.12.2020, 12:08 PM
New here
New here

That is very good advise.. Gonna buy a midi cable tomorrow and work on the virus that way and see whats what.. Thx

Still, if someone reading this thread have encountered this problem or know of it please let me know
Old 23.12.2020, 12:42 PM
New here
New here

Can you play the demo song in endless loop w/o DSP crash?
Old 23.12.2020, 01:22 PM
New here
New here

btw - this thread tells a little about TI2 related stability issues:

http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=32710
Old 31.12.2020, 06:09 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

does your virus do this also when you don't use USB?