Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 23.03.2005, 07:43 PM
This forum member lives here

Hang on a sec......i thought the JP's supersaw was 3 sawtooths....not 7. Can some one clarify?

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 23.03.2005, 07:52 PM
Veteran
Veteran

With unison on its 7x the supersaw waveform.

ten
Old 23.03.2005, 07:52 PM
Pro
Pro

I think the supersaw has 7saws.
Old 23.03.2005, 08:27 PM

ur thinking of the JP8080 then?.....i cant rememebr the 8000 having unison. Oh well...my memory isnt too good hehe

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 23.03.2005, 08:59 PM
Veteran
Veteran

8000 is identical to the 8080 apart from a couple of extra poly, vocoder and more storage for patches. The rest is the same. (oh and the 8000 obviously has a keyboard

ten
Old 23.03.2005, 11:13 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten
The JP seems to fill up the spectrum much more evenly where as the virus tends to die in the high frequencies for some reason.

ten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Kid
i always thought the unison on the virus was very...hmmm...how should i say...'loose.' it sounds almost messy :\
Using a Virus|Powercore I tend to find the obove statements to be true. Could Ben or Marc maybe explain what this lack of high frequencies is due to?

-REMIDI
Old 24.03.2005, 09:23 AM

The supression of certain higher frequencies is what gives the Virus its dark sonic character (hence its difficult to make genuinely bright 80's sounds on it ).

I would hazard a guess and say Access did this in order to reduce the audiable effects of aliasing. Im probably way off mark.....maybe someone could oneday clarify this....

DS

Old 24.03.2005, 02:41 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

I totally agree with the 2 latest posts.

Ben...Anything to add?
Old 24.03.2005, 10:00 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

9 saws. 7 saws. this is all maths. the one thing i have gotten from experience is: the jp8080 sounds fat as. its an instrument. not a calculator. i cant explain why it sounds fat as. but its somewhat more than just having 7 detuned saws spread in stereo. it has a unique character that you just cant find anywhere else. its all well and good quoting numbers: 80 simultaneous voices! 9 detuned oscillators! + sub oscillator! which computes to xxx number of simultaneous detuned oscillators = fatness.' but ultimately the TI has to be more than an oscillator crunching calculator.

i also think that the raw virus waveforms, particularly the saw wave doesnt sound that great without a tonne of effects on it. it doesnt quite have that crunch or that bite. maybe the hypersaw oscillator will do that.

but yea, what a way to dispell all this speculation by actually posting the god damn fattest hypersaw lead in existence playing a classic supersaw lead like one of cygnus x's tunes. go on ben, make me weep for not pre ordering

i will admit, your previous demos got me close to crying. but crucially i DIDNT SHED A TEAR! finish the job ben! come on!
Old 24.03.2005, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Wasn't the JP80x0 modelled on the Jupiter 8 (including filters, etc.), hence the JP8xxx title? Would this have contributed to the supersaw's fatness?

Also, I bet there's more to it than the actual individual saw waves that make up the supersaw each being mathematically-correct sawtooths (using fourier analysis), each identical, other than being detuned and panned?...

...meaning, I guess if we could isolate each saw wave, they wouldn't be just simple, "static" saw waves, just stacked in unison and detuned?

Could the Supersaw have also incorporated some kind of waveform-modulation/sync between the individual sawtooths to create an even more rich sound, seperate to detuning? (Check out this thread for examples of waveform-sync amongst saw waves, something I've never been able to easily achieve with the Virus, which could otherwise add a whole new level of fatness, completely seperate to simple detuning by normal methods:- )

[Forum thread: Quick pulse-width question]

Basically it appears to take one single sawtooth oscillator, break it into two (by duplicating it, then halving the amplitude for each copy), and then modulating the phase between the two to give a "doubling in octave/harmonic" type effect (more apparent when you modulate the phase with an LFO, creating a gentle "rocking" pitching motion between one octave to the next).

...And that's using just one single oscillator. When you mix just two of these oscillators together, and detune them, the effect is devastating, without even using any Unison or third/sub oscillator.

An audio example taken from that thread:

Quote:
[2 x detuned saw-oscillators with/without waveform-modulation]

...Which shows the difference between: a) two x detuned saw oscillators with waveform modulation, and then b) without the waveform modulation.

Both in mono, and no unison used.
Timo