Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 26.03.2005, 01:43 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Send a message via AIM to K.E.M. Send a message via MSN to K.E.M. Send a message via Yahoo to K.E.M.

Wow, I just tried the Virus KC at Guitar Center * I work there now!! Weee!!* and here are my findings in comparison...

I remember the JP's sound quite well, and it's saw wave was very nice and thick. I tried making my own patch with the Virus, and I noticed...that it wasn't as thick or meaty as a JP saw wave..it was VERY noticable to me...I mean, unbearably...so...at first I kinda leered at the synth...for having a somewhat thin wave to start with. But I decided to give it a chance...and knowing the sonic versatility of the Virus, I tried morphing and fattening the sound I was creating. Eventually I came up with a very kick ass pad which could have easily taken over for the Korgmatose patch on my Triton LE, which I use in a really heavy industrial metal sound called "Fire", by my band. I then proceeded to create a fat bass, which also was nice. Still, now that I think about it, The Virus is damn powerful, but doesn't have the same character as the JP. I am seriously considering a JP-8080 module.

Also, I am considering getting one of my favorite analog synths ever..the Korg MS2000. It is one of the warmest analog synths I've ever played...eventually I'll probably end up buying it...either soon or later on. The SH-32 which is definately an underrated synth is also VERY cool, because it has some fatness, and a sonic character you cannot get through any other synth period, due to it's synthesis method, which is something that can only be found in THAT synth ONLY. It's called Wave Accerlation. I invite you guys to check it out...I think I'll end up buying those three for sure...and the Virus is under consideration. I really liked the classic, but I couldn't find the arpeggiator function..must be hidden in some menu that isn't easily accessable in the patch edit menus. =\
Old 26.03.2005, 03:29 AM
Pro
Pro

KEM, you are probably comparing supersaw to the virus saw. That's why virus saw was't meaty enough. About the MS2000 (VA), it is only 4voice poly though. Comparing the prices, you should check out the Ion, Micron synths and evolver
Old 26.03.2005, 12:41 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.E.M.
I really liked the classic, but I couldn't find the arpeggiator function..must be hidden in some menu that isn't easily accessable in the patch edit menus. =\
Hit the Ctrl button, and the arp settings are next along from the tempo.
Old 27.03.2005, 06:24 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Send a message via AIM to K.E.M. Send a message via MSN to K.E.M. Send a message via Yahoo to K.E.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzash
KEM, you are probably comparing supersaw to the virus saw. That's why virus saw was't meaty enough. About the MS2000 (VA), it is only 4voice poly though. Comparing the prices, you should check out the Ion, Micron synths and evolver
Nope. I know the JP basic saw very well..and it felt fatter than the Virus to me. And I forgot to mention that the MS2K is a VA..I know it's not purely analog. Lol.
Old 29.03.2005, 08:02 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Would someone mind posting an mp3 of what they consider to be a good example of a Supersaw lead from a JP8xxx? If possible, I'd prefer it to be a solo sound recorded directly from the JP, rather than a clip of a track.

Thanks.
Old 29.03.2005, 11:45 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland
Would someone mind posting an mp3 of what they consider to be a good example of a Supersaw lead from a JP8xxx? If possible, I'd prefer it to be a solo sound recorded directly from the JP, rather than a clip of a track.

Thanks.
http://www.first-wave-music.de/downloads/downloadse.htm

near the bottom of the page is a link to a zip with it in.
Old 29.03.2005, 11:57 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledge
http://www.first-wave-music.de/downloads/downloadse.htm

near the bottom of the page is a link to a zip with it in.
Thanks - anybody got any more?
Old 30.03.2005, 12:24 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

Ben: I'll record one as soon as I get home
Old 30.03.2005, 11:18 AM
Pro
Pro

I thought the purpose of the hypersaw in Virus TI was to do the same trick as in JP8000, to be able to make fat strings and leads and save polyphony without using the unison function at all !?

I always use 2 layers with JP8080, so my supersaw strings and leads have 2x 7 (supersaw) + 2 saw waves (osc2), a total of 16 saw waves. And I have been experimenting with many synths and I have found out that after some point there's no sense to put more saw waves together. The sound will become just a huge noise and doesn't even sound very good in most cases. And those who don't know or remember, the JP8080 HAS a UNISON too. But guess what, I never really use it, because 16 saws are enough with right detunings. The unison hits the sound too hard and it becomes just a fat noise and doesn't sound as beautiful anymore. Different synths have different unison behaviour but in most cases too much saw waves is too much.

And the TI will NOT replace the JP80x0! I have said this before too. Virus sounds great but in some cases the real JP supersaw + the JP 2-pole filter sounds better and virus cannot make that sound because the virus filter sounds completely different and the oscillators lack the highest frequencies, no matter how much you boost them even with sony oxford eq.

With virus I get some really nice ron van den beuken -style saw stacks and some beautiful dark string pads but for brighter strings and saw leads I prefer the JP over virus.
Old 30.03.2005, 11:42 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I'll throw another line of thought into the pot:

Why don't 2 x Virus saw oscillators, detuned, and 4 x Unison (to get 8 x detuned saw waves) with maximum pan-spread, sound like a Supersaw?

What's happening behind the scenes in the actual Supersaw oscillator waveform that makes it so different?