Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 31.10.2010, 07:27 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I too hope it´s a TI3 with USB3 and 32 USB-Outs. And at least 2x the power! Better 3x!
And a TI-Software Synth would be awesome (like the Powercore Virus or even without).
Old 03.11.2010, 08:54 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Smile

Yes! a software version and Virus as a dongle (USB key) or a new hardware dongle from Access.

No limitations for voices = depending on computer processor power.

I would buy it!

Or a new Virus TI3 with USB 3.0 , FireWire or Light peak.
Old 03.11.2010, 09:14 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

My wild predictions (which have never been right, I might add) given the pattern of recent years, I'm thinking it may possibly go two ways. Either:

1) All new Snow mk2 hardware (to bring it in line with a one DSP-chip TI|2), plus a TI|OS software update (as large as last years) to TI|OS v5 for all TI owners. TI|2 hardware continues as the flagship model, Snow mk1 is discontinued.

Or

2) All new TI|3 range, sporting a new extended OS (TI|OS v5) which is unable to fully run on TI|1 and TI|2 machines due to employing various new TI|3 hardware features. A final, minor update is added to TI|OS v4 for legacy TI|1 and TI|2 owners before TI|2 is discontinued. Snow mk1 continues (with TI|OS v4) as the "classic" Virus option.
Old 03.11.2010, 10:38 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Smile

I think it is time for Access to come with something new and more powerful, Virus TI released in 2005.

The Virus series is not outdated just the hardware(CPU).

Novation is coming with Ultranova and it looks promising and quite cheap.
Old 03.11.2010, 11:32 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
My wild predictions (which have never been right, I might add) given the pattern of recent years, I'm thinking it may possibly go two ways. Either:

1) All new Snow mk2 hardware (to bring it in line with a one DSP-chip TI|2), plus a TI|OS software update (as large as last years) to TI|OS v5 for all TI owners. TI|2 hardware continues as the flagship model, Snow mk1 is discontinued.

Or

2) All new TI|3 range, sporting a new extended OS (TI|OS v5) which is unable to fully run on TI|1 and TI|2 machines due to employing various new TI|3 hardware features. A final, minor update is added to TI|OS v4 for legacy TI|1 and TI|2 owners before TI|2 is discontinued. Snow mk1 continues (with TI|OS v4) as the "classic" Virus option.
Out of them 1) seems more likely, shame if they did as I just bought mine

I doubt they'd discontinue updates to the current TI2 range this early though, especially when whiteouts have just been sold it would be pretty gutting to have bought a brand new TI2 limited edition whiteout keyboard to end up being stuck on one update with it.

My predictions would be that they'll most probably want to push the power of the TI2 range a little so they'll still continue with updates, or maybe even release a firewire version of the TI2 (TI2-X?) same functionality just more virtual outs.
Old 04.11.2010, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Firewire seems to becoming less and less popular on computers these days. Moreso with USB 3 around the corner. Some new top-end laptops don't even have a firewire port anymore.

Reason I think a TI|3 might surface is that the TI|2 was a refresh of the TI|1. The TI|2 didn't bring any new hardware functionality per se, other than the 25% extra DSP. I remember Marc saying the TI|2 will never go anywhere the TI|1 wont, which would confirm the "refresh" theory and also indicates the TI|2 is limited to the lifespan of the hardware and software capabilities of TI|1. The original TI keyboard was originally released in 2005, and the TI|2 in January 2009 (two years ago this coming NAMM).

If Access wanted to employ something like user-custom waveforms in a new OS, which has always been a popular request on wishlists (mine too) since the original TIs were released, I don't think they could do something like that with the existing TI hardware (otherwise they would have done it). I can only assume there's no physical, usable flash storage capacity to store them, and would need new hardware to implement it (if ever they chose to do so).

Those who bought a TI|1 at OS version 1 have effectively had four brand new keyboards, one for each and every new OS version. Since OS v1 (which was already a substantial upgrade from Virus C), Wavetables, Formants, Graintables, Atomizer, all the effects (new Characters, Tape Delay, Distortions, Ring/Tremolo modulation, FrequencyShifter), Side-chain, Stomp boxes, Comb+Vowel filters, step sequencing, 64-bit support, etc., have all been added with new updates.

I wonder when the physical hardware limits will pose a barrier to new functionality.
Old 04.11.2010, 02:58 AM

I thought too about USB 3.0, and how important thats going to be to their total integration strategy going forward, so they might wait to release something until USB 3 is really here.

Who knows when that will really be, since they still haven't really gotten USB 2 right yet.
Old 04.11.2010, 12:07 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

That's a very good point you have there Timo, Hmm I wonder what's up there sleeve.
Old 04.11.2010, 12:44 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
... I remember Marc saying the TI|2 will never go anywhere the TI|1 wont

Bang on there Timo...

I'd be interested to know what the sales figures and profits are like for Access. With all due respect and love for them and my TI , as many people on the forum will attest there have been some pretty serious hiccups along the way with the TI, which I would imagine have tarnished the brand somewhat.

I would speculate that if they do launch a new hardware hybrid synth, that a core aim would be to have it rock solid by launch to try to erase any lingering doubts from people who have previously had bad experiences.

I kind of hope its a new OS as I dont want to have to buy another Virus just yet.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 04.11.2010, 08:43 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Wink

No USB 3.0 in sight before 2012 or 2013 or even never,so forget that, Light Peak is the future!

Apple and Intel is going to release fiber-optic connection(Light Peak) spring 2012 to replace USB 2.0 and even USB 3.0.

Access! use Light Peak and you can have 64 channels of audio.

Google it and read.