Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 07.04.2013, 04:15 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Changing the subject a little from the way the C vs. the Snow sounds, can someone tell me how total polyphony compares between the two? I've seen spec sheets that say the C upgraded the B's total polyphony from 24 to 32, then when you look for similar specs on the Snow, consensus seems to be "20-50 depending on patch".

I know the snow has more features, and some of those features could potentially use more DSP resources, but what I am looking for is an understanding of how the raw processing power between the two compares, for example for a patch on the C will you get the same, more, or (yikes) less playable notes if you load same on the Snow?

Thanks for any input.
I know this is not empirical evidence, but buddy of mine had a snow and because she could *only* get Virus Control to work on Cubase in her testing and she determined she hated Cubase, and dynamic voice allocation of Snow made her only wish she had the desktop TI2, she now is back to using Virus KC and sold the Snow. Like her, I am YET to run into any major polyphony issues with the Virus C, and have built some intense patches. But, will also say that I have not tried using a built-up Multi just from the KC itself as it seems to make more sense and be easier to do that through Reaper DAW or any DAW.
She is a very technical person and she could not justify expense of the Ti or Ti2 when Virus Control still is unresolved, unless you use Cubase and use absolutely NOTHING else connected anywhere via USB. She determined that the Virus suffers from "bandwidth starvation", regardless of what people at Access state.
Thought to share this with you as you seemed to have a lot of trouble with Virus Control from reading a lot of past threads (amongst others having issues with VC). So with the Snow it looks like you *may* still have VC issues, plus the polyphony limitation inherent in a "budget Ti called Snow".
Old 07.04.2013, 05:43 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
I know this is not empirical evidence, but buddy of mine had a snow and because she could *only* get Virus Control to work on Cubase in her testing and she determined she hated Cubase, and dynamic voice allocation of Snow made her only wish she had the desktop TI2, she now is back to using Virus KC and sold the Snow. Like her, I am YET to run into any major polyphony issues with the Virus C, and have built some intense patches. But, will also say that I have not tried using a built-up Multi just from the KC itself as it seems to make more sense and be easier to do that through Reaper DAW or any DAW.
She is a very technical person and she could not justify expense of the Ti or Ti2 when Virus Control still is unresolved, unless you use Cubase and use absolutely NOTHING else connected anywhere via USB. She determined that the Virus suffers from "bandwidth starvation", regardless of what people at Access state.
Thought to share this with you as you seemed to have a lot of trouble with Virus Control from reading a lot of past threads (amongst others having issues with VC). So with the Snow it looks like you *may* still have VC issues, plus the polyphony limitation inherent in a "budget Ti called Snow".
I'm now using Cubase on Windows, so that may help in terms of Virus Control (actually a lot of VSTs work better on Cubase since it is basically the reference platform for VST compatibility), but having working software integration might not be mandatory for me if I lower my price point and therefore my standards a bit (for example I can overlook a lot if I'm dealing in the price range of a used C or maybe a Snow).

I once owned a Ti2 desktop, and was not happy with the polyphony or overall processing power of a single patch at the given price point so I returned it. However, the 64bit drivers for Virus had just been released at the time, I was not using Cubase, and it's possible that I would be happy with one now.

Rhetoric aside though what I really need to know is how the raw DSP power of the Snow compares to the C. From the experience your friend had, it sounds like the Snow has less voices than the C? Or maybe you're saying it uses a type of dynamic note stealing that was not a feature of the C? Either way I'd be very interested in getting to the root of this.

I think the "Snow vs C?" question is one that a lot of people want to know and keeps coming up, but comparing the official Access specs on paper, at least with regard to polyphony and/or overall DSP processing power, seems to invoke more questions that it answers.