Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 17.04.2008, 05:05 PM
Newborn
Newborn

Default Virus Ti in Logic 8 (studio)

I am very new to both the Virus and these forums so be gentle!

Ok, I have a virus ti desktop connected via usb cable to a mac pro, it shows up in logic and I get an audio signal, can control it fine and the midi works.

My question is:

When I create a multitimbral instrument and then assign the virus to a channel, I get all the channels showing up and within the virus software I am able to assign a different instrument or sound to each of the 16 midi channels.

How do I go about automating each of these as a seperate item? Is it possible to assign each midi channel to it's own audio/aux channel within logic which will allow me to draw in automation and insert different effects for that instrument.

If so, would someone be able to give me a few hints to point me in the right direction, thanks a lot.

Cz
Old 18.04.2008, 04:51 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Automating in logic 8 is a bit screwed up. You can only automate on part 1. If u have 5 midi tracks set up, u can only automate on track 1/part 1 all the other parts of VC. So, automating part 2 on midi track 2 aint gonna happen - i mean you can draw your automation, but vc wont read it. the biggest problem with this is when u start to automate more than 1 part on track 1, you can get kinda lost.
what you can do is to draw in controller info in the hypereditor in the midi regions of each track. i guess that'll work, but it's not logic automation, only midi data.

second. you only got 2 USB stereo outs in the vc + your 6 analogue outs. So you can only have your parts going into 2 separate audio channels. Honestly i'm not quite sure what you're asking. I'm assuming that you're wondering if each part in VC has its own out? And the answer is No. You have 16 MIDI parts (virus playing 16 patches) assignable to 2 stereo usb outs plus 3 analogue outs.
Here's a little extreme setup...
In VC:
part 1 and part 2 going to USB stereo out 1/2
part 3, 4 and 5 going to USB stereo out 3/4
part 6 to 10 going to analogue 1 / 2 (aux)
part 11-12 to analogue 3 / 4 (aux)
part 13-16 analogue 5 / 6 (aux)

Notes:
the analogue outs must be connected to your audio interface and u got to have available inputs on you interface so that you get separate channel strips for those outs
you can automate those channel strips (2 usb outs and your 3 stereo aux channels). Things like inserts, eq, sends etc. not the virus itself.
All your parts are on separate tracks (16 midi tracks) in the arrange window, but if u want to control the virus with automation u can only automate it on midi track 1 (part 1)
You can;t control the virus' parts, such as volume and pan in the logic mixer, only through VC. You can however control the individual outs since they're channel strips are preset in the mixer.
And this is just a stereo example...u can of course go mono and get 10 outs total.

Honestly, I never tried such an extreme setup and don't even know what kind of latency u gonna get with this, but its possible, i think....
hehe, hope i'm right and makin sense
anyone else to comment

in short, Logic 8 + multi VC = weird.
adrian

Last edited by adrian23 : 18.04.2008 at 04:53 PM.