Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Closed Thread

Old 08.06.2006, 05:57 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Aaaaah !

Clicks

Pops

Speaker bursting Satan Saws

All on 1.1beta

Ho-Hum
Old 08.06.2006, 06:35 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Really? Any more info?
Old 08.06.2006, 06:46 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Well, I updated it via the UB updater for the Intel Mac.
All events are generally random, the Satan can happen during a patch change, or after playing it for several minutes.
Crackles and pops vary from patch to patch, also seem to appear at random intervals while playing patches.

This is with the USB cable in, but being played via a master keyboard into its own midi ports, with the audio from outputs 1 & 2.
No change if I remove the USB cable.
No VC or software installed on the Mac as its an Intel based one.

All in all, it seems less stable than v1.09, so I might as well go back to that.
Old 08.06.2006, 07:29 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threlly
Aaaaah !

Speaker bursting Satan Saws

All on 1.1beta
Does anyone know if this "soft limiting" implemented in 1.1b a sure protection against burning amp or speakers?
Old 08.06.2006, 09:11 PM

Does the soft limiting feature mean that the virus will auto shut off or reduce volume in the event of a nasty spike (i.e. satan saw)? So in effect you will no longer get load thuds or pops?

Would this negate the need for a hard limiter in your audio chain?>

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 09.06.2006, 12:01 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to bishopkris40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS

DS
Nah, I'm sure I saw somewhere(been reading mails on update all night) that they still suggest that you have some sort of limiter in you set up, personally I don't but then probably when I can afford good speakers you'll see my crying about blowing them

Cheers
Kris
Old 09.06.2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threlly
Well, I updated it via the UB updater for the Intel Mac.
All events are generally random, the Satan can happen during a patch change, or after playing it for several minutes.
Crackles and pops vary from patch to patch, also seem to appear at random intervals while playing patches.

This is with the USB cable in, but being played via a master keyboard into its own midi ports, with the audio from outputs 1 & 2.
No change if I remove the USB cable.
No VC or software installed on the Mac as its an Intel based one.

All in all, it seems less stable than v1.09, so I might as well go back to that.
Doesn't sound like happy news for you there Threlly!

Anyone else having this kind of trouble?

Also regarding the "soft limiter" that a few people have mentioned. This is a switchable option though right? I mean they haven't just changed the "virus" sound completely have they? Remember what happened with the Nord lead3s afterall....
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 09.06.2006, 12:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Does the soft limiting feature mean that the virus will auto shut off or reduce volume in the event of a nasty spike (i.e. satan saw)? So in effect you will no longer get load thuds or pops?

DS
Its soft clipping - what soft clipping does is to effectively re-shap wave that would have been digitally clipped so that where the waveform would have been just cut off, instead it gets rounded leading and trailing edges (basic methods only clip the leading edge - no idea what the TI does) - this is basically enough to stop all the nasty harmonics and clicks from digital clipping.

Where these extra harmonics become a real problem dfor direct driven speaker is all this extra energy can be a few dB *above* the theortical maximum output level (analog line resonanace etc...)

The clipper It does not *normally* reduce the average signal level in the way a limiter does. Also, when an audio engine crashes but the DAcs are still pumping out sounds - then typically you get digital random crap spewed out the DACs with no processing whatsoever - ie no soft clip in this case (at least I would not expect so).

There are some soft clip methods that are based upon compresion rather than usual wave shaping, but they dont generally behave like normal limiters or compressors either.

No help in saying what to do - I know - but maybe you uderstand batter what is going on. A limiter will help *if* the limiter is set to -3dBfs or so. leaving it at 0dBfs is useless.
Old 09.06.2006, 01:26 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Yep min estill pops and clicks in ableton 5.2 on a powerbook 1ghz on OSX 10.3.9 playing the demo song at 256 or 512 latency setting...
Crap sandwich!
Does anyone know the email to get in touch about the beta?
Is it the same as the support address on their website?
Cheers
D
Old 09.06.2006, 01:33 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I had some cliks and pops no satan saw so far lakily. VC cant load properly very often. What is more virus diods are flashing and stop flashing very fast. It happen sometimes. Does it happen to anyone??
It happens to me since I got my TI. I thought it was OS fault. Hopefully its not the hardware
On the other hand when VC is loaded it seems to be more stabile for me.
I work with Ableton Live 5.2.

cheers

Rudy
Closed Thread