Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 13.03.2006, 08:06 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Personally I very much doubt there is a hardware fault - digital components usually work 100% or they fail completely. Analog is slightly different I think....

Nope....Id say its entirely software....and I think the code they use is pretty buggy. Surely this is the reason you hear pops and crackles, midi timing and general audio weirdness....

It baffles me that a simple protocol (midi) even after 20 years is still presenting problems to designers. Wtf is going on with that?

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 16.03.2006, 08:29 PM
New here
New here

Default my 2c

I don't know if there is a hardware problem or not. I sure hope not. But I don't know of any bugs people have reported that imply hardware problems. Hardware problems would not cause the synth to crash. They would do something more serious, like have the inputs or outputs not work at all, the leds work wrong, buttons not work, display not work. Or things like noise in the output, spdif not working. Trust me!! I don't work for access or know anyone who does (well no-one that I will reference here). But all the sound generation, processing, filtering, midi stuff... that is all done on the DSPs or microcontrollers. These are things that can be fixed with new firmware.

I don't quite see the problems that everyone else is reporting either.. I have had a few hanging notes, but no crackling.. A few times the keyboard will not be listed in Cubase as a midi controller, and occasional little stuff like that... but overall I don't have any problems that stopped me from working or prevented me from working. That having been said, I am still looking at the website every day looking for that update.

Yes, midi has been around a long time and it is well understood. If I had to guess I would say that the reason for the problems is USB. It is something that is new to the Virus TI line, and they are trying to do quite a lot with it. They are also writing ASIO drivers and MIDI drivers (for the USB device). These are very difficult to write as well. I would almost guarantee that that's what is causing the hold up, and the bugs: USB communication related issues/driver issues.

I don't think access doesn't care. They have proved that they do in the past. They have people working there, don't they? The are most likely working full time on these issues... well they better be! When I go to the Access website and see them talk about the various remix motel trade show stuff instead of releasing that OS update, it makes me mad. But it's not like the marketing guys at the trade shows would be fixing any bugs, you know?