Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 21.08.2006, 07:58 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Default 4 stereo channels when in VC mode

Hello
I want to buy an audiocard Audiophile 2496 to start to use in Nuendo four separate stereo Virus channels at the same time. It has 2 pairs of analog and an s/PDIF digital stereo input.
Before I do I need to make sure that what I expect from the card in connection with the Virus will be feasible. I assume what follows is correct; if I'm wrong please tell me.

In recent posts at ampfea I read it is possible in USB mode to use both the USB outs and the physical analog outputs. In total it gives five stereo outputs at the same time. Now, the manual says four. What happens if you assign parts to all of them, that is USB 1&2, analog 1,2&3 (all stereo) - will one of them simply not play?

Those analog outs have to be plugged into the card and configured as inputs in Nuendo (external instrument function, I guess). Right?

Due to limitations of Audiophile 2496 (two and not three stereo pairs of ins) it will be possible to use two USB audio channels and two in Nuendo project - four stereo channels in total. Right?

What about the syncronization between the USB and analog channels?
I know there is latency compensation parameter for external instruments, but I mean the rhythmic stability, f.e. once the compensation is set correctly, no desync problems of USB and analog notes appear, etc.

Does anybody use such configuration without problems?
Can the recent Nuendo handle that well?
Is there a workaround for this trick in Cubase which does not have this option? (asking because on a different platform I might need to use Cubase instead).

Hope you can help.

Thanks

T
Old 19.10.2006, 02:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to ///AznTi

Hi T.

I'm a Cubase SX3 user and the only difference in comparison to Nuendo is Cubase does not have the amount of networking and video features that Nuendo has. So all I'm saying the configuration and audio setup will be exactly the same no matter which program you use.

As for your question, The Virus has 2 stereo channels in total in VC mode. There should be no latency when using the USB channels though. However, latency will be introduced as you switch to the audio outputs in VC. The entire point of using VC is that you do not need another sound card but you definitely have the option to if you need to.

So in regards to that Audiophile 2496 card. No you dont need it. If you are running everything from your PC and VSTs just change your ASIO settings in Nuendo/Cubase to your Virus Ti and all your audio will route to the Virus Ti Now how sweet is that?

And to give you a better understanding here is an example of my config.

Cubase SX3 / Windows XP / Motu 2408 / Virus Ti

In my setup I do not use the Virus Ti as my ASIO since I have the motu 2408 already and my project is setup to work this way. Still with me?

So I have my Virus Ti connected USB to my PC and I use one stereo channel from the Virus to the Motu 2408 when I need to record a track into Cubase/Nuendo. However, in order to do this I switch from USB L+R to Output 1+2. Then the track is in audio and I tweak the hell out of it.

Check out this tutorial on the Virus site. It helps

http://www.access-music.de/downloads...ustipolar#cat5

In conclusion, No need to buy that sound card sir. Your Ti can do it
But another sound card is always sweeeet Just make sure you ASIO is set to the sound card instead of the Virus Ti when you get it and go into config setup and connections.

Hit me up if you need help.

Hope this all helps.
ROCK ON!
Old 19.10.2006, 02:47 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

You will of course get much better sample rates from a sound card (and I think it is quite noticable) - the obvious thing is also that via audio input there is latency involved, whereas via USB the recording is sample accurate.

Drammy
Old 20.10.2006, 10:10 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Thanks guys

aznvirus
I already have APhile and I use its ASIO, but it was not my most essential purchase.

Drammy
Sample rate - 44.1 or 48 both available in TI's card and Audiophile. Where does the difference lie?

T