Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 22.10.2006, 12:54 AM
New here
New here

Default Should I buy a Virus C?

Hi guys,
New to this site but spend a lot of time on the dance music production site. I've been wanting to buy a Virus for nearly a year now and finally have the opportunity to get hold of a Virus KC (can't afford the TI yet). I use Reason at the moment and getting familiar with cubase.

Everytime I tell people I want a Virus they tell me that software gives the same results & I should just get some hot VST's. The thing is I want the hardware with all the realtime knobs plus the keyboard. I've also played the Virus demo to myself and the trance sounds that are on the demo are so awesome & I've never been able to produce the same with software - well not Reason anyway & I think I've made ok tunes (http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.a...8279&aid=15771 for a peak).

I also played the TI at a music store and it was awesome. I don't want to spend time farting about through thousands of VST's never knowing which one is the best. I know the Virus is the all time classic synth that has been used to produce many top tunes and knowing that for me sells it.

So should I buy one?????

Reno
Old 22.10.2006, 07:37 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

anyone who tells you software can even touch a virus' sound is a fucking n00b. i used to be on that software is good enough boat, but when that ti desktop came into the store, i nearly pooped myself. so much in fact im getting the ti polar probably in the next 2 weeks.

myself personally, the ti had enough extras over the c to make it worthwhile for me to purchase (wavetables, hypersaw, more effects, 2 extra mod slots, vst/au compatibility etc). there are certain hardware synths that are no better than software, but then there are the great ones that outshine both most hardware and software synths. the virus is such a synth.
Old 22.10.2006, 12:11 PM
This forum member lives here

Essentially, it is possible to get the same sound from software. The Virus (B) is after all, available as part of the POCO line and for TDM systems. All reports are that they are identical...

BUT... There's just something about hardware. I like to feel like I own something, not just a disc.

There's certainly alot of great VSTi's out there... but it is a personal thing really. Some like having everything streamlined and contained, others like having racks of outboard and keyboards everywhere to play with.

The Virus KC is awesome... If you have the cash, I'd say go for it! Now that the new editors are available, it makes the choice that much easier

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 22.10.2006, 02:05 PM
New here
New here

Thanks for the advice guys. Another question - Can you create great drums with the virus or would you still want to create your drums with other kit software or hardware?
Old 22.10.2006, 02:37 PM

It's the Virus filters that really shine when comparing it to a lot of other gear (hard or soft). There isn't much in the digital realm that comes close in my opinion and it's the filters that were a huge selling point for me.

As far as drums go.... I have never really used my VirusC for drums, but that doesn't mean it can't be used for them. It just doesn't fit my style of music. I have used the Virus for filtering/FXing drums though - gets beats nice and nasty.

Good luck with your choice!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 28.10.2006, 01:39 AM
New here
New here

Virus is Warm. and personally i think its uncomparable to softwar...

u can get that "In Your Face" kind of feeling with the phat sounds of the virus
Old 29.10.2006, 09:59 PM
New here
New here

A virus IS a software synth. It's software oscillators. It's an application that access wrote that controls the thing. It's a softsynth in a hardware body. The reason you (might) tell any dif. is due to the DAC's. The reason to buy a virus is the hands on, pretty box it comes in. You should have an appreciation for, and a place to put hardware. If that is the case, then yes, jump on a virus c.
Old 31.10.2006, 07:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Hmm - as for the DACs - you can pretty much rule them out if you are equally happy with the resulting sound when passed digitally via SPDIF/USB to you computer, so your computers soundcard is the DACs.

Anyway - the point here is it may or may not be warm according to your definition - loads of love the virus sounds for many different reasons - buit it *IS* software running on hardware - just like a soft synth is software running on hardware (your computer) - what m,akes the virus special is that software - particularly the filters and the common character present throughout the signal chain, and maybe some of the hacks done in the early days to deal with aliasing, then add lack of stepping on controls, the frequency balance control (analog boost) that on its own does a hell of alot to remove the usual flat digital character and give a flavour of analog 'warmth'.