Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 05.02.2008, 11:54 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Wink Help needed ID'ing the synth in this photo

Gday, i was hoping someone might be able to help me with an ID for a synth (well an arp) that one of my fav artists uses.

its on the right in the bottom pic, in this photo, it says 'ARP' in white with something else written in red that i cant make out

(bottom pic / ARP synth on the right)

heres another clue to the puzzle (taken from the interview that i got the picture from),

"My favourite piece of gear in the studio is the Moog Voyager hooked up to an analog ARP sequencer. Playing around with the two of them is pure heaven.""

my basic question is, what exactly is this 'analog arp sequencer' he is talking about, model, manufacturer etc? any ideas?

thanks in advance for any advice have nice day
-Dan

Last edited by solconnection : 06.02.2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: stuff up image tag
Old 06.02.2008, 12:12 AM
This forum member lives here

hey dan, the pic doesn't seem to be displaying here.
Old 06.02.2008, 12:23 AM
Infektion taking hold...

thanks doc

heres a link while i try and fix the original post

Bottom pic, on the right

have a nice day
-Dan
Old 06.02.2008, 04:19 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Send a message via Skype™ to flipside
Look at the text in the front of this:

The manufacturers name is "ARP" which is the initials of the founder, Alan R. Pearlman. So "ARP sequencer" is the manufacturer ARP and the model "sequencer".. Kinda confusing for someone, which might connect ARP to Arpeggiator..

Anyways, it's a great tool! Basicly what it does, is you have 16 steps, so you can have a maximum of 16 notes sent to a synth. It does not generate audio by itself. It doesn't stop there though, you can either have 1 stream of 16 steps, or 2 streams of 8 steps each, patched to two different areas of the synth, or even two different synths altogether. Plus, you have a switch above each slider, with 3 positions. So you have 3 gates, and each step can output to one of these. So you can like control notes with some steps and maybe the filter with another. It's a super simple cubase/logic/pro tools

I'll post some sound examples later

It's a later version of my own sequencer, which looks like this:

It is amazing!

Best,
Alex

Last edited by flipside : 06.02.2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06.02.2008, 05:08 AM

Flipside. I am really looking forward to THAT! Please make your examples 130bpm and royalty free 24-bit wavs.
Old 06.02.2008, 09:30 AM
Infektion taking hold...

thanks flipside/alex thats exactly the info i was after you are right bout me being confused about the naming thanks for clearing it up

any ideas on how i would go about finding one of these? and how much you might expect to pay?

thanks for your help
cheers
-Dan
Old 06.02.2008, 09:53 AM
Infektion taking hold...

You're welcome Glad I could help.

They show up on eBay every now and then, just keep looking. Another option is the Korg SQ10. You might want to keep an eye on the german eBay as well. Oh and you also might wanna check Tonetweakers

I got mine from Sweden, and I paid roughly $920 for mine. It wasn't via eBay though, but a Swedish buy/sell site. I think you'll have to expect to pay around that. But more importantly, and forgive me for asking - what kind of synth are you planning on using it on? You need a synth which accepts CV/gate, and this sequencer uses 3.5mm jacks for inputs and outputs, so you'll need something that accepts that, or make your own cables, or use an extra plug to make it 1/4" if that's what your synth uses. Sorry if this is superfluous info to you, I don't mean to be didactic.. You may own several analog synths already, what do I know

I was lucky with my buy, because the previous owner did a mod where you have all input/output connections available as 1/4" jacks on the back also.. Very handy if I want to hook it up to my MS20 for example.

Best,
Alex

Last edited by flipside : 06.02.2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added a link..
Old 06.02.2008, 11:53 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Hey mate, thanks again for the awesome advice. In the market for an analog synth at the moment so id be sure to get something i can get it to play nicely with, maybe a moog voyager?. Bummer about the price, i was hoping being just an arp it might be a bit cheaper.

thanks for the heads up on the Korg SQ10, that was another question i meant to ask, is there any alternatives or more modern pieces of kit that do something similar? i guess nothing really sends CV anymore.

basically i want a nice hands on arp that i can use to mod lots of different paramaters at the same time.

have a nice day
-Dan
Old 06.02.2008, 01:59 PM
Infektion taking hold...

No problem. A Moog Voyager is probably an awesome synth (I don't own one - yet). It also has CV/gate, and several other inputs as well it seems.

The SQ10 isn't exactly more modern About the same era.

You have several modern analog synths, but many are in a modular and DIY format (Although you can also purchase assembled modules in most cases): Doepfer, ModCan, Synthesizers.com, Blacet, and so forth.. Oh and LiveWire. (Look for some youtube videos on the LiveWire. And probably all the other stuff as well )

You also have the great-looking MacBeth M5, sort of looks like an ARP2600. And check out the Buchla 200e Looks and probably sounds awesome! I for one want one.

Best,
Alex
Old 12.02.2008, 11:53 PM
Infektion taking hold...

checked out tonetweakers and they are selling one for $2000us before shipping sniff. Might just put that idea on the burner for a bit.

Did manage to get my hands on the Arturia ARP 2600 plug though, which comes with a software version of the arp you own, very cool!..if only i could get it to spit out midi

have a nice day
-Dan