Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 10.03.2005, 04:21 PM

Default Dave Smith's Evolver

Hi. When the Ti was announced I started to save up money for it and put my VirusC on sale. Luckily I wasnt able to sell my Virus, and when the delay on the Ti began, I decided I would keep my C and go for some second hand gear.

I got myself a 2nd hand Evolver for 300?, and I must say it has changed the way I make music. Its simply amazing when it comes to create athmospheric sequences, bleeps, anything. It reminds me a lot of the wavestation type of sequences (without any crossfading between waves), which is normal since they were both designed by the same person. Its monophonic, but each osc can be sequenced and oscs 1 and 3 go to right and 2 and 4 go to left (you can change this), so in the end it doesnt really sound monophonic at all.

Its quite limited in the sequencer department (16 step classic sequencer type), but with all the lfos, mod routings and env, you manage to make great stuff out of nowhere. Sometimes I find myself working on a dull sequence, with nothing special, but I know later in the creating process the 'magic' will happen and it will all sound great. That is also something bad, because I find myself doing great stuff by luck, but if thats the worse that can happen with an Evolver, I'll be fine.

Technically is not a big deal, but has some nice things: 4 osc (2 analog, 2 digital), wavetables for the digital oscs, analog LP filter, digital HP filter, analog amp, 4 lfos, 3 env, 3 delays, noise, distortion, output hack, osc sync, fm and ring mod. It has no power button (apparently they forgot about it!) and it can be linked to other Evolvers to increase polyphony. Its amazingly easy to use, really.

It has a very own character, and its easy to end up doing extremely distorted or weird sounds. I also think its not a synth for everybody due to its very own way of working.

In resume: I rate it a solid 9. Would be a 10 if it included reverb. If you are looking for new gear that works and sounds different, give this baby a try. Best money I ever spent on a synth. You can get it for 300-400? 2nd hand. Instead of a VirusTi, I'm now saving for the polyevolver!

I would post some of my sounds, but I dont have where to upload them. Check the mp3 demos on www.davesmithinstruments.com instead, and remember its a mono synth!
Old 10.03.2005, 04:23 PM

Sorry for that long post
Old 10.03.2005, 05:58 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

sounds great.