Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 02.02.2005, 10:56 PM
Pro
Pro

beware that if you want to use a firewire soundcard, you'll have to buy an additional firewire interface pci card. If you use the poco firewire in the same firewire bus together with firewire hard drive or firewire audio interface, you will propably get clicks and pops. So you must connect the poco firewire to a different firewire bus.

The motu 828 mk2 is otherwise a really good audio interface. I got mine 3 days ago, very fast and stable drivers in logic7, great sound quality and connections. I will never have to change my audio interface again.
Old 02.02.2005, 11:06 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Okay, so maybe I'll skip Poco Firewire.
Old 24.02.2005, 08:39 AM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

does any plugin work on the UAD or only specifically designed ones will ?
who can explain to me how it works?
Old 24.02.2005, 10:05 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatembr
does any plugin work on the UAD or only specifically designed ones will ?
who can explain to me how it works?
Only the specific UAD powered plug-ins will work with the UAD-1

Basically, it is a dedicated DSP for plug-ins, so you dont waste computer resources.

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 24.02.2005, 11:45 AM
Pro
Pro

that means that Pro53, Discovery, Albino, Waves plugins.. etc etc may not work on it?
Old 24.02.2005, 12:07 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatembr
that means that Pro53, Discovery, Albino, Waves plugins.. etc etc may not work on it?
Yes, that's right. A DSP-card is a hardware and it runs a specific software written to it. If you have a Virus C, you cannot load a Nord Lead 3 synth into it either. Creamware Pulsar/Scope platform, UAD1 and Powercore all have their own plugins. What counts here is the quality and the performance boost because the plugins don't run on the computer's own cpu. Only the data transfers between the dsp card and the computer causes minimal cpu usage.

Also if you take a closer look at the UAD1 plugins for example, you'll understand that they don't try to be Waves or any other basic native plugin. They have been modelled with high end algorithms to bring you the sound of true analog gear or at least as close to the analog sound as possible. And I can say that they really sound very different from any waves or anything else.

Also powercore has the virus which is not available as a native warez version. Neither can the reverbs replaced by any native non convolving reverb plugin. In fact I usually end up using the classic verb altough I have many high quality impulse responses too. Convolution is sometimes too static and you just cannot make the final adjustment that you need.
Old 24.02.2005, 01:12 PM
Pro
Pro

thx m8, its clear now
Old 26.02.2005, 01:31 PM

Just my $.02 - I hardly now ever make an electronic song without using a LA-2A, 1176ln and Cambridge generously in my mix. UAD plugs really do take your music to a whole new level.
Old 26.02.2005, 06:10 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Send a message via AIM to Nigel Harkness Send a message via MSN to Nigel Harkness Send a message via Yahoo to Nigel Harkness

Probably just a question for you that I already know the answer to but my laptop is my main workhorse for music production and I was wondering if there was any way that I could use the UAD for my laptop. I know that you probably can't but was just curious.
Old 26.02.2005, 07:29 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yea you can. You need a cardbus pci expansion chassis. These are wee pcmcia devices that connect to a pci chassis allowing you to plug host normal pci cards into.

If you check out http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/ you will find them there.

One thing though, they cost SHIT loads, like $1000+ You might get one cheap on ebay, but they still go for $500+.

I think there is only one other company that makes these kind of things www.pciexpansion.com (sbs technologies) but they are priced very similar.

ten