Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 25.05.2006, 12:10 PM
This forum member lives here

Default 64 Bit OS and computers...

Alex's thread has got me thinking. Do you guys think it would be prudent to hold on for 6 months until the new 64 bit computers and OS's become widely available. Id hate to spend ?1500 only then to realise that a 64 bit spec pc would of had more longevity and power...

Would would you guys do. Wait 6 months?

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 26.05.2006, 12:45 AM

Huge article in the May Sound on Sound about this very topic

Are PC Musicians ready for Windows x64?The 64-bit Question

With advantages such as more efficient processing and the ability to address up to a Terabyte of RAM, Windows XP Professional x64 has a lot to offer PC-based musicians ? in theory. We put the fully 64-bit system idea to the test.

I read it while at the newstand and it had some very good info in it and would recommend the read if you have not already.

One major point made was that most software available now that we use would not take advantage of most 64bit features...However as a counterpoint you could use some of the new motherboards that support more RAM than you would know what to do with which is always a good thing. You can also just buy this article here

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may0...ician_0506.htm
Old 26.05.2006, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Now we're this close, I'd wait.

64-bit dual-core pentium Ms....

... i get moist.

Released in August (maybe even July at this point).

Would keep you happy for a good few years, that.
Old 26.05.2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
... i get moist.
Stop it Timo...you're turning me on!!!!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 26.05.2006, 11:25 AM
Pro
Pro

At least I wouldn't install xp 64bit. It feels just like a quick fix from Microsoft before they can release Vista. 32bit systems work very well already and the 64bit windows won't bring much if any more speed and not all software is ready for that. It's just the larger memory amount which it can handle.

Btw, isn't the athlon64 X2 processor a 64bit processor? Buy one of those and a good mobo and you'll be fine with both 32 and 64 bit operating systems.

Btw, I don't even know which processes work at 64 and 32 bits in my mac right now but I don't really care. The only thing which matters is that it just works.
Old 26.05.2006, 11:46 AM

Thx guys....im gonna wait (in other words I cant afford it right now )

I wonder if audio fidelity can be increased within the 64 bit realm. That interests me....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 26.05.2006, 11:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Well I have a 64bit capable PC, installed WinX64 on it - all was good. Installed the apps on it (none of them 64 bit yet) but they were all running great.

Installed Yamaha mLan and Edirol 64 bits drivers - everything running perfect...

Then Time to find 64 driver for my UAD-1 card, Virus and various other bits... erm - none available.

The trouble with 64 bit at this time is that alot of companies seem to be holding off doing the drivers until Vista is out *AND* the major DAWs have all got a 64 bit version out.

You CANNOT install 32 bit drivers on a 64bit OS. While 32 bit applications will run fine (and in the short time I was running it, they seemed noticeably faster), the drivers *MUST* be 64bit.

ASIO is not currently defined for 64 bit either, not are VSTs. VSTs will run run on a 32bit host under a 64bit OS, and even run fine on 64bit version of Sonar 5 (the only PC DAW with a 64bit version out). For both of these, Steinberg seem to be planning a Cubase 4 + 64bit release late this year.

Personally, I think that its fair enough for companies to not do 64bit versions of their apps, but lack of drivers is somethign I (as a user) find *deeply* irratating given how long companies have had to get ready for this and that there is no option to use 32 bit drivers. A similar argument can be level at the slow support for the intel mac platforms as well.

To give an example of the level of unawareness of this - one company's technical support even told me to try out the 32 bit drivers - evidently they were completely unaware of the need for 64 bit drivers - this wasnt some noddy little unheard of company, but a major one in the pro-audio field whos PCI cards many of us here use.

X64 has been out for 6 months or so - there is hardly a current consumer type card/device that doesnt have good stable 64 bit drivers, and yet in our 'pro-audio' market, its the opposite - hardly any have released them. And that is crazy - audio applications benefit hugely from X64 - more so IMHO than current games, web browsing office and all the other random stuff people do with their PCs.

I have to admit, if I had actually had to go out and buy X64 and found it unuseable due to lack of drivers, I would have been very annoy at the waste of money. Thanksfully I dont have to suffer that due to a work provided MSDN sub. If I had purposely bought the PC for 64bit - well.. lets not go there...

So, my advice - it you want to buy a 64 bit machine right now, *FIRST* check that every device that you have/will purchase has a suitable stable 64bit driver available for it. Graphics and consumer audio cards should be fine. ATI, nVidia and Creative have all had drivers out for a while.

That being the case, then go for it - the performance improvements that I noticed in the few days I was running it were well worth it even running 32 bit apps.

In the end - Im back running WinXP on a 64 bit capable intel dual core machine - Grrrrr!

Still its a nice fast and quiet machine for audio work

BTW - if you are thinking of building a machine, I can definately recommend this case: Antec P180

Mine has a 10000 rpm HD, 2x7200RPM HDs, 3 fans + gfx board and CPU fans, and its still acceptably quiet. None of the usual rattles at all. Cant even hear the hard drives - 10000rpm drives normally make a hell of a racket.
Old 26.05.2006, 12:11 PM

Nice post Khazul!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 26.05.2006, 12:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

ty Hollow

One thing I would add - do read the SOS article as well its a good informative article, though maybe seems to have a bit of an angle. The only winge I had about it is its seem to play down a little the issue of drivers, encouaging you to put aside unsupported hardware.

Well - I know alot of us have either TC Powercore PCI or UAD-1 PCI cards that are *essential* core components of our audio machines - how many of us would be willing to put that aside until the end of the year?

Oddly UAD have just released a PCI-express version - yet drivers aint due until vista is out