Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 29.04.2010, 02:13 AM
Pro
Pro

Default Essential Whoooooooshhhhhh

hey guys...
just wondering how you guys go about making your whoooshes..

its a typical sound but essential ...and there are thousands of different kinds...

would you like to discuss some of your methods......

i'd love to know how you would make a fat , textured, layered whoosh.....
like spaceships flying by..comets...etc.......those sorts of whooshes...

Old 29.04.2010, 08:30 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

White or pink noise through parallel band pass filters should do nicely, although the Virus wouldn't be my first choice for this job. Preferable to get multiple noise sources. Chorus and flanging may help provide interesting harmonics. With all of these, you probably want resonance/feedback a bit shy of ringing, to sound more real...
Old 29.04.2010, 08:41 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenme shenme View Post
the Virus wouldn't be my first choice for this job
Exactly. You might try to mess with noise for days or weeks and never quite nail it and then come across a great sample from a free library online and download it in 30 seconds...
Old 29.04.2010, 01:09 PM
This forum member lives here

A lot of times I simply take any noise (white, pink etc) and run it through whatever phaser effect happens to be in front of me. I can usually get something close to what I want within a few minutes by adjusting the phaser parameters like speed of oscillation and so forth.

The tricky part for me has always been not just getting "some woosh" but getting the timing of the woosh right with regard to where I wanted to put it in the track. I don't want it going "sh" when I wanted the "woo" part just because the phaser has its own relationship with the host tempo. So to solve that I just sample the noise with the timing I want so that I can trigger it with one key at any time without regard to anything else.
Old 29.04.2010, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Sweeping a band-reject filter cutoff (with zero resonance) also creates a home-made phaser type sound - in fact this is how people used to imitate a phaser on the original Virus A before a phaser effect was added via an OS upgrade.

The bonus about this is you can synchronise the Filter Cutoff 1 to midi clock, enabling you to time wooshes correctly. You'd need to remember to turn off 'Cutoff Link' to Filter 2, though.

Or, regular filter sweeps using the noise generator: http://www.infekted.org/virus/showth...386#post293386

Click here to understand the route that noise takes through the different classic filter configurations: http://www.infekted.org/virus/showth...019#post295019

Separately, remember Noise Colour can be modulated via LFO and stuff too.

Modulate filter resonance independently of cutoff too. Adds additional dynamicism to the filters.