Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 05.06.2013, 09:52 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default Automate effect settings

Hi there,

I was wondering if somebody know any way to automate the different effects settings on the Virus TI. In my case im looking to change the delay mode and clock setting half way into a build-up..

Cheers
Old 06.06.2013, 12:26 AM
Veteran
Veteran

ok, you need to search for a list of the CCs for each parameter, search for those you want to automate and then just write the automation for those on your daw.

http://www.elektron-users.com/index2...=520&Itemid=30

here's a list with the CC numbers and correspondent parameters. good luck
Old 06.06.2013, 02:53 PM
Complete Newbie

Hi again. thanks for the tip!!!

Im using logic for music production, can i ask if you know how to automate for specific CCs in that DAW?
Old 09.06.2013, 12:42 PM
Veteran
Veteran

You're in luck! So, to start with: you need to point the midi channels being used by the hardware so Logic can communicate properly with the instrument. If you press "cmd+8", you open the "environment" window, then you should select "midi instruments" on the top left corner of the window. Then click on new, select instrument and on the menu on the left, you need to select the correct "port" for the instrument: Logic will display all the midi ports available for you. Once that's done, close the window and create a new external instrument, and the one you created will show up automaticly.

Now, on the "lists" menu on the top right, select event and you need to create meta events - that you can write with the pencil on the arrangement window - choose the right cc; it will probably display some general names for the cc numbers, but don't mind those, rely on your cc list for the virus. You can then draw automation on this event as you would with anything else.

Take your time getting to know this menus as there's a lot of functionality under the hood here. Logic, to my mind, is arguably the best dealing with anything midi - but it usually takes complexity out of our way. But it's all there!!

EDIT

plus, if all goes well, by simply pointing out the correct port, it should record the automation automaticly if you hit record with the track selected. And all the automation record modes will work as usual "touch, write...".

Ok, just checked it myself. It's as simple as selecting any cc number from the automation window (clicking A on the arrangement window), where you usually choose the volume, pan, etc - that very same menu - after you write some meta event. Pretty easy and convinient, uh?

Cheers
Old 25.06.2013, 07:10 AM
Complete Newbie

Hi there,, i finally got time to try this out, and even though your walkthrough is very thorough, i cant get it to work .. I suspect it has something to do with the "port" og "channel" selection!!?

First I create a new instrument in the environment window, i can select between ports: off, all, virus midi, virus synth. Here i have chosen virus midi. Channel is set to 1.

Then i create a external midi instrument, select the new instrument i just created, and create a region. I open the event menu on the top right, double click the region, and create a meta event on that region. I want to switch between filter modes on the Virus TI, so i choose cc52. Parameters is now: ch1, num52, val0.

The I go to automation and choose midi control 52. Its set to ch1.

However, nothing happens when i write automation..

Do you see any big mistake in this process?

Last edited by durrdurrdurr : 25.06.2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 25.06.2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrdurrdurr View Post

Do you see any big mistake in this process?
Nope, I think you're doing it right! Check those ports again and the options on the Virus! If your midi configuration is right, if you press the record button on the track, it should pick up any knob movements you make and record them. I've never tried to change parameters like "filter mode", so I can't say how well that works.

So how do have your virus connected? sound card? midi controller? I send the midi (in&out) through my SL controller, for example. You could try something similar to this! Works great for me with good old fashion midi from my keyboard to the Virus rack and back.
Old 25.06.2013, 02:44 PM
Complete Newbie

Im connected through a USB cable at the moment.. ill try to tweak some more to see if it works. If not ill just record in two sessions.

While i have been doing this, i have encountered a weird problem though.
In this process, Logic has suddenly started to STOP, on the same place, every time, and the track will not continue. In my case the stopping point is 01.04.09. If i hit space, Logic just stutters in that same place, it will not move beyond this point. However, if I skip this point, and click 01.05.00 and start to play from there, the rest of the track plays nicely.

Its like i have set a hidden stop automation, but i cant figure out where/what it is. Can it be related to the creation of new meta events?

Cheers