Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 03.05.2013, 02:41 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Modulate Osc 1 Amp with an Envelope

I would like to know how to modulate OSC 1's amplitude with an envelope independently from OSC 2..Is there a way to do this ? The matrix does not have OSC 1 AMP as a Destination... ANy Work arounds ?

Thanks
Old 03.05.2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Never tried to do that. Maybe if you place "OSC MIX" (OSC Balance on the destinations list) full to the right and assign the envelope to control it with negative amount, precisely half range, it will sound pretty much as tough the envelope is controlling just OSC1 volume, as OSC2 (and 3 if that's the case) will always come through. But I honestly haven't tested this myself, just thought about it and it makes some sense to me. Hope it works!

Oh, of course you'll be stuck with the settings you define for that envelope for the filter envelope mode. Can get around this using an LFO in envelope mode and assigning it to the filter, I guess. So problem solved!

EDIT

Just to make things more interesting: if you're using the sub oscillator - which is always tuned 1 octave bellow the first oscillator, things can sound wrong if it's volume remains mixed with the signal. So it's probably a good idea to assign the envelope to it's volume with full negative amount.

Would be interesting to try to tune it to the second oscillator's pitch when its volume gets down though. Maybe it's possible to do it. I think that if OSC1 pitch is 3 semitones (or any other value) bellow OSC2 pitch, by carefully adjusting the rate of a square LFO with that value on positive amount and unipolar (so it only goes up, and not down), and adjust it's phase so that it would start down (no modulation) and get up, being careful so that it would go up by the time the envelope (let's say osc1 volume envelope) goes all the way, the pitch of osc1>sub osc would be tuned to the second by that time. Uffff. But this probably isn't a much interesting effect after all.

EDIT

But you'd be able to do it directly using OSC3, even though this one isn't a selectable source for FM sounds, like the first.

Last edited by TweakHead : 03.05.2013 at 08:36 PM.