Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

View Poll Results: does the ti sound better in non-usb mode?
yes 24 58.54%
no 17 41.46%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30.05.2009, 09:40 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehurlbert View Post
Now let me get this straight - you're comparing the sound from the analog
outputs of the Virus with what you're getting from your soundcard by way
of the Virus USB and your DAW. And you expect them to be the same?

Like Marc said, at the minimum you'd have to use the Virus as your sound
card. And you'll need to be sure you're DAW is not touching the bits ...

If you've got really good A/D converters, you could record the analog outs
of the Virus back into your DAW, and clinically compare that with the USB
recording i.e. invert phase of one and listen/look. You could also do this
via the S/PDIF out of the Virus i.e. USB vs S/PDIF.

-Wayne
It's not so complicated to compare a couple of sound sources.

There are three minimal signal paths for listening to the Virus, not including the headphone jack:
  1. Virus USB -> D/A
  2. Virus SP/DIF -> D/A
  3. Virus Analog [ -> A/D -> D/A ]
All three of these can be recorded as digital audio (after an optional A/D step in the last case). You can then play them back through a single D/A. You can use a MIDI sequencer to be sure you are getting the same thing all three times. Since you don't care much about the timing in this case, you could probably record all three in one pass if you wanted to. In any case, it's not any harder than recording multiple tracks or takes in a song.

None of the major DAWs changes the bits of a track that is simply recorded as audio and played back at unity gain (and at the original tempo, in the case of Live). Live is the only DAW that silently applies time-stretching to audio (!) so it's the only one where it's really necessary to be so precise about when the warping algorithm is being applied.

In any event, the real question is not better or worse, but rather: are there more bits of precision feeding the internal D/A converters than there are coming over the USB and/or SP/DIF connection? This simple question would be easy for Access to answer, but as far as I know they have chosen to remain silent on the point. Consequently, the only way to get at the answer is to probe with an experiment like the one we're discussing here.

Marc's proposal is nice because it uses a single D/A (in the Virus) for everything. On the other hand, it depends on the return audio path over the Virus's USB link. If that link truncates the audio to 16 bits, then it will give a misleading result -- it removes any extra bits of precision (beyond 16) that the SP/DIF or analog outputs of the Virus may have.

-Luddy

Last edited by luddy : 30.05.2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06.06.2009, 12:41 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Send a message via MSN to altunamusic Send a message via Yahoo to altunamusic

Hi guys,

SUper nOOb question here :P

I had Ti for a year, i know how to make sound n design from it. But believe it or not i havent even tried single mode? Can we write midi patern like we use in SEQ mode? and why is it better.. and maybe what is the best routing with Logic pro 8?

I am running on OSX10.5.7, and this 3.0.3 is really a mess in my Logic... I usually can run maximum 8 channel in Seq mode together.. but this time when i ran 2 channels, one of the channel will goes out of tune..

May someone guide me here? *i dont have a sound engineering background*

Thank you.

Din
Old 06.06.2009, 08:39 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by altunamusic View Post
Can we write midi patern like we use in SEQ mode?
Nop...But you can use Multimode for that

Quote:
I usually can run maximum 8 channel in Seq mode together
Wow lucky you...

Quote:
but this time when i ran 2 channels, one of the channel will goes out of tune..
Unplug Virus from every cable and then plug back with a Hard Reset(Hold edit button next to arp for 10 secs) and try again

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850@3GHz 2GB DD3 RAM
XP PRO SP3 w/2 150GB WD Raptors
Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB RAM OSX 10.4.11
Ableton Live 8
Serato SL1
VirusTI Desktop MK1
MOTU 828MKII
Genelec 8030
M-Audio UC-33 & MK-249C
Roland FC-300
Old 07.06.2009, 06:50 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Send a message via MSN to altunamusic Send a message via Yahoo to altunamusic

Wow.. thanks mate for solving it

Appreciate it!
Old 23.07.2009, 03:58 PM
Very mucho Newbie

I also use my Snow as my soundcard and I also have to admit its soundquality drops down significantly when using Viruscontrol within Cubase.

It's THAT obvious, uncomparable.
Actually my Snow doesn't even sound much better than all my other virtual synths.
Only when playing in singlemode it sounds a whole lot better than anything else I have.

Which is quite annoying as how my Snow sounds in my sequencer, I don't find it inspiring at all.
Do I now have to make patches in single mode and scroll thru every function by pressing buttons and going into submenus?
As that's the only instance where my Snow sounds 'alive' and somehow only then inspiration comes.

Sometimes I wonder if that little Viruscontrol isn't just a vst on itself and the Snow is just there as being the dongle.
Old 24.07.2009, 01:36 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default using external MIDI connectors

how does the TI sound when using it with MIDI in the traditional way (with the external MIDI connectors) and bypassing Virus Control altogether. Is this effectively the same as using it in Single mode.
Old 24.07.2009, 07:49 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones View Post
Only when playing in singlemode it sounds a whole lot better than anything else I have.
Then why not using VC and send every track to it's analog out (OUT1+2)???
Or like i do if you want to process eatch patch individualy with external FX using 4 mono outs + 1 Stereo (or whatever comb).Of course you must have available ins on your soundcard to be able to do that...

Cheers!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850@3GHz 2GB DD3 RAM
XP PRO SP3 w/2 150GB WD Raptors
Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB RAM OSX 10.4.11
Ableton Live 8
Serato SL1
VirusTI Desktop MK1
MOTU 828MKII
Genelec 8030
M-Audio UC-33 & MK-249C
Roland FC-300

Last edited by 7G : 24.07.2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 25.07.2009, 09:59 PM
Very mucho Newbie

whats the difference between the Analog out and SPDIF on the Virus TI. i thought SPDIF was superior to analog.. why would the analog carry more bits? also how would i hook up the TI in analog to my sound card?
Old 25.07.2009, 10:41 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrr00 View Post
whats the difference between the Analog out and SPDIF on the Virus TI. i thought SPDIF was superior to analog..
S/PDIF is digital. It's locked to either 44.1KHz or 48KHz 16-bit, I'm unsure.

Analogue is.. analogue. It has no limits, except for physical factors.

Quote:
why would the analog carry more bits?
It depends on the D-A (Digital to Analogue) converter. If the D-A converter is good, you stand to get a more dynamic signal on the output. I believe the TI uses a 192KHz 24-bit D-A. It wont be digital when it leaves the jack output anymore, but it will be high fidelity balanced analogue.

But.. it also relies on your external A-D converter (your soundcard) and the connections (cables) you use as to how much fidelity you actually retain and/or capture at the other end.

It also means the signal goes through two stages of converters... the D-A converter (from the Virus) followed by the A-D converter (on your soundcard), each affects the signal in their own way, and also the connectors and cables affect how much additional noise is physically created/picked up and/or how much interference is rejected. Luckily, the TI uses balanced (TRS) connections which is more professional and should reject a large deal of any acquired noise/interference if you use balanced cables. So if you want high-grade sound, all you'd need is decent A-D converters on your soundcard and relatively decent cables to connect them both up.

Quote:
Also how would i hook up the TI in analog to my sound card?
Connect the analogue outputs of the Virus to the analogue inputs of your soundcard using either unbalanced cables with TS jacks, or balanced cables with TRS jacks. (A TRS jack is the same as a stereo jack, looks wise, but in this case you'd be using a TRS jack for each channel (mono). If your soundcard supports balanced connections, and you want to use balanced cables and TRS jacks for better fidelity, select 'balanced' or +4dBV from your soundcard control panel or via physical switches.)

Or, if you have soundcard inputs that use balanced XLR connectors, you'd need a balanced TRS-to-XLR cable & jack config.

Last edited by Timo : 25.07.2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 25.07.2009, 11:39 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post

Connect the analogue outputs of the Virus to the analogue inputs of your soundcard using either unbalanced cables with TS jacks, or balanced cables with TRS jacks. (A TRS jack is the same as a stereo jack, looks wise, but in this case you'd be using a TRS jack for each channel (mono). If your soundcard supports balanced connections, and you want to use balanced cables and TRS jacks for better fidelity, select 'balanced' or +4dBV from your soundcard control panel or via physical switches.)
i was planning on using the virus via USB, but if analog is much better quality then analog it is. i just havent used analog before.. its the blue port on the sound card correct?

id use this cable to connect from the virus ti to the sound card, assuming im right about the blue port?: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1093469826662