Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 05.08.2009, 02:40 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default …returning to a hardware synth: Questions about the TI2

I was an owner of an original Virus "A" tabletop many years ago (and prior to that, I bought one of the first Nord Leads to hit the US). I eventually went to an all software + controllers setup which has served me quite well. However, this latest version of the Virus TI me looking @ a dedicated hardware synth for the first time in literally years. I think the VST integration is incredibly forward thinking but I do have a few questions about how it actually performs in the field.

First, my setup: Vista 64 Bit / Cubase 5 32 Bit / Quad 2.66 Proc / 8GB RAM / EMU 1820m PCI + Breakout Box

1) I have become so used to not having multitimbral limitations in software by simply running multiple instances of a plug-in. Obviously, you can only run one version of the TI2. What features will I "lose" by running the TI2 as a multitimbral instrument? I assume patches drop effects? Something else?

2) For convenience sake, it might be nice to occasionally use the TI2 as a sound card. However, I would ultimately record via the analog outs. I assume having the unit plugged in via USB AND running the audio out via @ that same time will not be an issue? I assume not, but I’d love to know if any “gotchas” exist.

3) I have seen some grumblings about the TI2's VST incarnation. Other than the complaints about audio quality (which I presume has to do w/ the lower bit depth of the USB?), are there any other issues to be aware of? Based on my setup above, any reason to suspect it will perform poorly?

Thank you all for your time. I always figured if I were to ever buy another synth, it would be a Virus.

Cheers from Chicago,

BBJ
Old 05.08.2009, 03:38 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Well, no 64 bit support currently so your stuck in that department. Currently the TI2's state in stability is no stability, it crashes like every 10 to 5 mins lol....... I'm not kidding. So until a stable version is released it is highly recommended you not using it in a live environment. Other than that VST plug ins that try to create the same fat sounds as a Virus TI or TI2 fail....epicallyyyyyyy. BUT I STILL LOVE THE TI!
Old 05.08.2009, 04:25 AM
Am starting to like this forum

1) Each 'part' has it's own effect section, so no effect drop. You get a delay / reverb / chorus / distortion / phaser / eq / freq shift / vocoder / character per part.

2) You can do it anyway you'd like, but if you so choose the analog outputs remember you'll need to compensate for latency of the 'Virus Control' plugin, and others.

3) USB audio does lack a bit compared to the analog outputs, but when you throw everything into a mix it's quite hard to hear, IMO.

To be honest, I've never had the TI crash on me. I feel sorry for everyone who is having problems. Only thing I've had problems with is the delay sync dropping out sometimes, but it's not a huge deal. I use Cubase 5, as well, with a much lower spec machine as yours (3 year old core2duo laptop on XP). If you can get around that 64 bit problem which I have no experience with, then it's a very nice investment. I have a nice budget to invest in more synths/software but I can't come to spending anymore money cause I feel this machine does everything I can dream of already. Get a TI, NI FM8, and Minimonsta in a mix and you're good!

Goodluck
Old 05.08.2009, 06:58 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmmade View Post
Well, no 64 bit support currently so your stuck in that department. Currently the TI2's state in stability is no stability, it crashes like every 10 to 5 mins lol....... I'm not kidding. So until a stable version is released it is highly recommended you not using it in a live environment. Other than that VST plug ins that try to create the same fat sounds as a Virus TI or TI2 fail....epicallyyyyyyy. BUT I STILL LOVE THE TI!
If yours is crashing every 5-10 minutes get in contact with access support. I did the same and they sent me a new unit and it's working perfectly.
Old 05.08.2009, 11:23 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Thanks AndrewM for the detailed responce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmmade View Post
Well, no 64 bit support currently so your stuck in that department.
Wow... I did not realize this jdmmade! I am finally at a point where nearly everything I own is native 64 bit (I was running Cubase 32 as I was waiting on certian Native Instruments plug ins to go 64... which recently have... so I was planning on switching Cubase over to 64 bit sometime soon).

The lack of a 64 bit driver is an issue. I am sure Access will go "64" with its driver eventually, but the question is "when." Fortunatly I am patient. I have been waiting years for someone to have an integrated synth like this, I guess I can wait a few more months to let them get it updated.
Old 05.08.2009, 05:37 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Yea Jones, during the time of the release of the TI series back in 05', 64-bit support was not common what so ever. So I am hoping since this crazed burst of Vista 64-bit machines in retail may have ignited a spark at Access-Music. Hopefully both releases for Windows Vista and 7. Just so you know I am buying my TI 2 within a month!