Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 26.05.2006, 12:14 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

At this point in time, I would suggest you upgrade rather than replace *IF* the result of upgrading will satisfy your needs for say the rest of this year - maybe even do both upgrades?

You allways loose *loads* when selling computers that arnt still curernt geenration, compared to the day to day value of having the thing.

intel mac support is only just getting going - I dont know if drivers have to be platform specific or not - ie whether you need specific intel mac drivers - I would assume so.

On the PC side - theres another thread here the details my recent experience with WinX64 - the summary is I had to go back to WinXP due to lack of available X64 bit drivers for some of my audio gear.
Old 26.05.2006, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
At this point in time, I would suggest you upgrade rather than replace *IF* the result of upgrading will satisfy your needs for say the rest of this year - maybe even do both upgrades?

You allways loose *loads* when selling computers that arnt still curernt geenration, compared to the day to day value of having the thing.

intel mac support is only just getting going - I dont know if drivers have to be platform specific or not - ie whether you need specific intel mac drivers - I would assume so.

On the PC side - theres another thread here the details my recent experience with WinX64 - the summary is I had to go back to WinXP due to lack of available X64 bit drivers for some of my audio gear.
Khazul, that's great info to consider. Thank you for furnishing it in this thread.

I really don't want to be bleeding edge at this point.

It looks like I'm going to upgrade the G4.

This whole project has made me think of something. Isn't it funny how vintage synths are cool (especially analogs) yet "vintage" or even slightly old computers are not?

-----------------------------------

Jase and Sebastian...

You are sickos!!!!

Who has the photos of Jase and the pigs???
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 26.05.2006, 12:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74
This whole project has made me think of something. Isn't it funny how vintage synths are cool (especially analogs) yet "vintage" or even slightly old computers are not?
How absolutely true.

But thats creaping into the synths and mixers as well - basically anything with a usb or firewire port - how useful and of what value will they be after driver support has stopped, and you cant even run the old drivers on some future OS meaning youve lost half/all of the functionality...

Theres some gear I have that aint old, but Im having to think in terms of dumping it on ebay before its too late. If it wasnt computer intergrated, I might be intending to keep it for years yet...

At least the TI is still a great hardware synth and will remain very useful long after driver support stops in x years.
Old 26.05.2006, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Khazul wrote:
Theres some gear I have that aint old, but Im having to think in terms of dumping it on ebay before its too late. If it wasnt computer intergrated, I might be intending to keep it for years yet...

At least the TI is still a great hardware synth and will remain very useful long after driver support stops in x years.
Yup. Once USB, USB 2, Firewire, etc. go the way of the Dodo, devices with such connectivity will be limited to audio output only.

Maybe one of the ports mentioned above will become some kind of defacto standard for backward compatibility on non computing devices (synths, TVs, stereos, etc), kind of like serial/parallel ports are now.

Every computer seems to have a serial and parallel port, but they are not nearly as used as USB/firewire now-a-days it seems.

I guess that is also an advantage of soft synths. They will forever play exactly the same as long as there is an OS and machine (or an app on a new machine/non-supported OS that emulates the soft synths required environment, kind of like Mac can run Virtual PC). Their knobs never break, the have no LEDs to go bad, but boy oh boy do their filters suck.
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 26.05.2006, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3o3
Quote:
Mate, you could'nt afford my sweet tanned (Virgin) ass!!!!
Pff.. You're not a virgin. I've heard stories about pigs!
One-legged pigs that actually look like a penis?
Old 27.05.2006, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

BWHAHAHHA, AYE INdEDd,

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/