Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 28.02.2013, 10:08 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Lightbulb Can someone please help me to recreate this kind of sound?...

Hi,

Can someone please help me to recreate this kind of sound @01:05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me5s1v5bs7c

I just can not figure out how they did it
Sounds like a detuned saw+square with a fast LFO on the pitch and a lot of distortion.

Let our powers combine!
Thank you a lot.
Regards.
Old 28.02.2013, 12:25 PM
Pro
Pro

Sounds like some white/pink noise is added to distortion...def. detuned osc's but also sounds like the filter is at a very high cutoff at that point very close to where resonance will cause a 'squelching' sound like when you play more of the filter with lower osc sound level. I am relatively new to my Virus KC and have found more times than not, not really needing more than 2 osc's because of the excellent filters that have very small gradations of 'sweet-spots' and when deeling with distortion as well...maybe try lower levels then add tiny bits of each element and hear how it changes for better or worse. Not sure about the lfo though... What version of Virus are you using?
Old 28.02.2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Sounds like some white/pink noise is added to distortion...def. detuned osc's but also sounds like the filter is at a very high cutoff at that point very close to where resonance will cause a 'squelching' sound like when you play more of the filter with lower osc sound level. I am relatively new to my Virus KC and have found more times than not, not really needing more than 2 osc's because of the excellent filters that have very small gradations of 'sweet-spots' and when deeling with distortion as well...maybe try lower levels then add tiny bits of each element and hear how it changes for better or worse. Not sure about the lfo though... What version of Virus are you using?
I'm using a TI Snow with latest firmware.
Maybe we could exchange an empty midi file to recreate this sound?
Old 28.02.2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Also think there's definitely noise added into the mix. The noise will only sound like that with the right kind of distortion and filter, I think it's probably a good idea to use the "analogue" filters, to get that squelchy vocal thing out of the resonance, like said above... So that leaves us with distortion for the fx section, try them on! There's also some filter movement going on, give it some env amount and adjust the filter's envelope with some attack and some decay (try those settings). It's also good idea, probably, to modulate the amount of distortion with the same envelope, so as to reinforce the movement. If it still sounds off, which it probably will, I remember doing a patch in which I add the mod wheel opening the cuttoff, while bringing the resonance slightly down, the noise volume up, and the reverb amount up to - of course this can all be done using envelopes as well, but gives you less control (even though you have some more now with OS 5, right?)...

The Oscillator section, could be a couple of sawtooth (or rich sounding waves) detuned from each other (in sync?), make the patch mono and add some unisson at the end, with a touch of detune and spread... I think with a little tweaking you'll get there and probably to a lot more sounds on your way
Old 01.03.2013, 08:28 AM

Thanx a lot! Can I send you a midi file with the sound I've created so far? Maybe you guys can help me out..
Old 02.03.2013, 10:43 AM

Here's the sound I have created:

http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/23291475/file.html

I think its almost there but need some help!
Thank you
Old 02.03.2013, 11:11 AM
Pro
Pro

I currently have pretty much most of my home studio taken apart to make for better ergonomics in my space and am taking my time with it.

What I will humbly say from your posted sample, it seems at least to me that it's a bit heavy on the reverb setting. I do not have a Ti rather, virus KB and KC. Did you use suggested noise ( white/pink noise) as well as distortion? Perhaps the distortion is overpowering dynamics in modulation that you may already have dialed-in? Someone else will chime-in am sure. Are you using the mod or pitch wheel at latter end down-pitch or is that pitch modulated by envelope?
Peace!
Old 02.03.2013, 05:29 PM

I did add some noise. The pitch is controlled by an envelope. Will check the distortion and reverb settings. Thanx!