Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 26.06.2013, 08:02 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Default Who can re-create this sound?

Hi,

Can someone here please re-create this sound and/or explain how to do this?
thank you!

@0:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6foASERezc
Old 26.06.2013, 02:06 PM
This forum member lives here

Just apply the techniques described in the threads for the first dozen or so of this type of request and you're almost there.
Old 27.06.2013, 08:10 AM

With all respect but I really think no one here can recreate this sound.....
Old 27.06.2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erolz View Post
With all respect but I really think no one here can recreate this sound.....
Do you think that makes a case in favor of continually posting the request or against?
Old 27.06.2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Do you think that makes a case in favor of continually posting the request or against?
against...but it seems like I am right because most of the members wont try and/or share their knowledge. But thats ok. I will figure it out soon enough.
Old 27.06.2013, 01:01 PM
Pro
Pro

Could be partly to do with being a niche genre . Sounded like three layers of synths from the very brief listen I heard.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 27.06.2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erolz View Post
against...but it seems like I am right because most of the members wont try and/or share their knowledge. But thats ok. I will figure it out soon enough.
But several of us have tried helping, in multiple threads. A couple of us have told you exactly what you need to do to create that *type* of sound. Creating the EXACT SAME SOUND may or may not even be possible, but once you understand what type of sound it is and the basic elements that make it up, you can get the type of results you want with any synth.

Honestly if I were you I would apologize for insulting those who have tried to help you over the last couple of years by saying they won't share their knowledge, then go and take some initiative to make an attempt to learn enough about subtractive synthesis to make this very simple type of hardstyle screech sound.

I'm not trying to be a dick I just believe in that old saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different eventual outcome.
Old 28.06.2013, 01:26 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, you need to understand that getting the "exact same sound" is impossible! Many reasons for that: you'd have to know exactly how the sound was processed. And even after that, it can only sound as good as the sounds around it. Remember that you're listening to this sounds you're after in context, in a mix situation.

The advice we gave you here only reaches the synthesizer level. So it will always sound very raw in comparison to what you're comparing it against. But I think you're underestimating this tips quite a bit. The moment you know "the basic elements that make up" the sound you want, you can leave that alone for a while and think of ways to process it further. I think you'll probably going to love exploring a multi-band distortion unit such as FabFilter's Saturn, Ohmicide, Izotope's Trash2 - also know that melda productions makes some cool ones, but don't know those myself. All of these, however, come packed with a learning curve and no one is going to experiment for you what goes well with what, even though trying the presets will give you an idea of what kind of settings you'll want to focus your attention on.

If you take the time to watch some tuturials online, about making the distorted bass sounds you'll notice two things: that are people doing the same kind of sound with different synthesizers and different plug-ins for processing the sound. The sound that comes out of the synthesizer isn't quite there yet, more often then not, when people are looking for really gritty or screaming stuff with tons of character added and possibly even some kind of amp simulation, weird kinds of distortion (possibly even modulated)...

Now I bet you're thinking: this is bass woobles and I'm looking for screaming leads. Try and place then an octave further and see what happens. Many dubstep "bass" sounds are more like leads! They have nothing under 100Hz, the subs are mixed in with another layer. Some of those ear piercing sounds are nothing more then an FM lead sound, or a wavetable modulated one. You can also try these routes of course as a source and keep the parts about the filters and combine that with some clever distortion...
Old 29.06.2013, 03:35 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Do you own the Virus ti? I think you can probably benefit from the feedback character thing.

You need a very noisy source: you can set the oscillators apart by octaves (12 semitones either way). At this point, you can go a number of different ways, keeping in mind you want a very noisy and full source. Try to turn the sync on and off to see if you like the timbre. When doing that, turn the FM amount knob (with sync on and off). It should be set to "pos tri" as default, but try out the other modes: noise can be cool for what you're looking for, also wave - in which case oscillator's one wave, that's with shape knob turned all the way left and choosing one wave to modulate. Classic sound is with sine waves, but there's nothing preventing you from using the others of course...

You can also try Pulse Width Modulation: for a very frenetic sound, modulate the OSC shape with a fast LFO.

We're still on the Oscillator's section and there's plenty of ways to go for very busy sources. I didn't mention Wavetables or Hypersaw, because I own the C - but I bet those are good for getting very busy sound sources as well. Wavetables can work pretty much like you'd set up a frenetic PWM sound, fast lfo scanning the wavetable.

You can also add noise to taste for even more busy and dirty sound source.

The rest of it is about the filters: analogue filter will provide you with self oscillating byte, but you won't be able to choose the saturation mode, it's just analogue boost and that's it! Try turning that up and push the resonance way up there. The resonance is key to this kind of sounds - all of them that you're constantly asking for. And filter envelope modulation is also the way to go imo. So, this is just a random example. Turn the filter envelope's polarity to negative . Place your Cutt off Knob almost entirely to the right. Then all values to 0 and only some decay. Make sure you're only earing one filter at this stage, so filter balance all the way left. Ok, by playing with filter envelope you can adjust the sweep on the frequencies. Make sure you set the amount right to, you're looking for a sweep from high frequencies to low mids at most - not all the way into the low end.

Another filter is taking a nap right now, so why not use a high pass filter to get rid of the muddy lows? Or the good old BS to get a more nasal tone (used a lot in DNB)...

Add distortion into the mix: try rectifier for starters, make sure there's plenty going!

Does it scream or not? You'll want to focus on getting the busy source and fine tunning the filter stage with very short tweaks at a time. Even after you've placed the fx there, you need to go back to filter stage. You're basicly exciting the distortion with tons of resonance and a very busy and noisy source. The PAOU or UAIIII sounds are nothing more then filter sweeps. Not that I wouldn't try to use the frequency shifter if I were you. But this is the basics and those sounds you're looking for can be done - almost no exception - with even analogue synthesizers as there's no mad modulation going.

Despite all this: please, by all means, just get yourself a nice distortion plug-in, multi-band is better, and make it your personal diet to learn it throughly - search youtube! It's not that hard and you'll be the king of synth screams in no time! Even if I'd sent you a complete sound packed with the processing chain, you'd still have to mix it in your tunes, right? So go for it dude!!