Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 21.01.2004, 04:53 PM
New here
New here

Default velocity mudulation

hi,

i'd like to know how to modulate the filter cutoff or the volume by the velocity strike on the keyboard.

in fact i did it half the way ; in the mod matrix, well, i choose as a source the "vel on" and as a destination "cutoff" and then the amount but there's the problem ; when i go under 0, let's say -40, when i strike hard the key the cutoff is then closed in proportion and vice versa. but if i go up than 0 (say +50) then there's no effect at all...

have a clue about that??
what i'd like is when i strike hard the keys the cutoff is wide open and if i strike slowly the filter closes partially.

thanx
Old 21.01.2004, 05:12 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

First set the cutoff to the value you want it to be on the lowest velocity. Then add the velocity control in the modmatrix and set the amount to one you wan't the cutoff to be on the maximum velocity.

For example Cutoff: 30, Modmatric velocity: +40. This means that cutoff is 30, when velocity is 0 and 110 (30 + 2*40) when velocity is at maximum.
Old 21.01.2004, 06:18 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
For example Cutoff: 30, Modmatric velocity: +40. This means that cutoff is 30, when velocity is 0 and 110 (30 + 2*40) when velocity is at maximum.
u already explained this to me Juho, but to say the truth, i didn't getit! how did you find that formula ?
Old 21.01.2004, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatembr
u already explained this to me Juho, but to say the truth, i didn't getit!
The modmatrix velocity adds the cutoff by the amount of velocity.

Edit: This means that velocity at 0 doesn't do anything to the sound.

Quote:
how did you find that formula ?
Range in modmatrix is 64 per direction. That's why you have to double the value.

For example setting cutoff on 0 and adding a modwheel to control the cutoff by +64 you'll notice that the mod wheel opens the filter conpletely, which means that the cutoff has changed from 0 to 128.
Old 21.01.2004, 09:15 PM
Veteran
Veteran

you know u dont have to do it in the mod matrix...there is a whole section for this already in the virus edit section....hit the edit but and if u keep scrolling over u will notice a velocity section and u can do more then just the cuttoff and volume...and this section has +63 and -64 set that and it does the same thing...

if u set it positive the harder u hit it the higher the cutoff value or volume gets...if u set negative the the harder u hit it the lower the cuttoff or volume gets...dont waist a spot on the mod matrix that can be used for something else...

peace
Blank

EDIT now lookin back they dont have a spot for cuttoff but they do have one for volume...
Old 21.01.2004, 09:52 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

juho: actually i know what the mod matrix does! but i usually set values by ear, not by formulas

blank: yeah, that menu works for the envelopes, rez, vol and panning only i think! u have to use to matrix to modulate cutoff
Old 21.01.2004, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank
EDIT now lookin back they dont have a spot for cuttoff but they do have one for volume...
I think there's filter envelope controls.
Old 21.01.2004, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatembr
juho: actually i know what the mod matrix does! but i usually set values by ear, not by formulas :)
Of course, but as for reference it's good to know how much it does change. And I wouldn't even call it a formula, it's more like common sense.
Old 22.01.2004, 10:15 AM
Veteran
Veteran

but if u use the velocity section for volume it save u all of the mulitple assigns on the mod matrix for other things...hence u only have to use assign one for the cuttoff...and not assign two for cuttoff and volume...

peace
Blank
Old 22.01.2004, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank
but if u use the velocity section for volume it save u all of the mulitple assigns on the mod matrix for other things...hence u only have to use assign one for the cuttoff...and not assign two for cuttoff and volume...
But there's and sepperate velocity control for filter envelopes. You don't need to use modmatrix at all. Just assing the value and off you go. They are right after the mod matrix in the edit menu. There's also few more values to be assinged on velocity outside the modmatrix.