Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 25.10.2006, 03:39 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknobryan
if you turn a knob on your Virus, will the Rekon knobs turn too?
Yes, but you have to create a track enabling the MIDI output from the Virus to point to to the input of the Rekon.

Lanrosta,
About making this useable as a library/editor:
I figured out how to do a single patch Controller Dump from the Virus C. However, I do not relish the prospect of repeating this process for every patch!

Could you please provide the Virus factory sets as patches that can be loaded into your editor? Or is there a way of initiating a full Controller dump from a Virus C that I am unaware of? The usefulness of this tool depends on having a reasonable starting point, and in the absense of any standalone Sysex implementation I am left with just an empty box with loads of potential.

Also,
Version 1.1.2 doesn't work in Cubase 4.01.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 25.10.2006, 04:47 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverr1
Quote:
Yes, but you have to create a track enabling the MIDI output from the Virus to point to to the input of the Rekon.

Lanrosta,
I figured out how to do a single patch Controller Dump from the Virus C. However, I do not relish the prospect of repeating this process for every patch!

Could you please provide the Virus factory sets as patches that can be loaded into your editor? Or is there a way of initiating a full Controller dump from a Virus C that I am unaware of? The usefulness of this tool depends on having a reasonable starting point, and in the absense of any standalone Sysex implementation I am left with just an empty box with loads of potential.

Also,

Thanks,
Roger
how did you manage to do the single patch dump? thanks
Old 25.10.2006, 05:15 PM
New here
New here

"how did you manage to do the single patch dump? thanks"

Midi out from Virus C into Cubase SX track set with MIDI output to Rekon.
Then followed instructions in Virus manual regarding MIDI Tx dump (page 117 for Virus C - I think its in the system edit button menu), once you've selected Controller dump, hit the store button and the Virus transmits to the selected patch on the Rekon. However, it doesn't look like it's possible to do more than the current patch at any time using this method.

Roger
Old 25.10.2006, 06:57 PM
New here
New here

it's sad that to use this I have to pay more for the VST to AU wrapper than Rekon itself.

but are you serious about the knob thing!? that's awesome! so, you can either edit your Virus with the knobs on the screen OR the actual knobs on your Virus?

No more sysex dumps at the beginning of songs! (other than to load a patch from the Virus to Rekon)

Could you please explain the process involved in loading up a song that has the Rekon plugin? So you open it up and the settings on the Virus change without pressing play?
Old 25.10.2006, 08:31 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
it's sad that to use this I have to pay more for the VST to AU wrapper than Rekon itself.

but are you serious about the knob thing!? that's awesome! so, you can either edit your Virus with the knobs on the screen OR the actual knobs on your Virus?

No more sysex dumps at the beginning of songs! (other than to load a patch from the Virus to Rekon)

Could you please explain the process involved in loading up a song that has the Rekon plugin? So you open it up and the settings on the Virus change without pressing play?
The knob thing happens when you allow the MIDI output of the virus to go to the Rekon. So in this case you use 3 tracks per part:
Rekon to Virus
All Inputs to Virus
All Inputs to Rekon

This configuration allows you to dump the current patch into the Rekon and twiddle the Virus to edit the sound. The Store Preset function in SX3 makes this useable. However, I can imagine this configuration getting pretty messy in a multi (/single) setup with a Rekon on each channel. The lack of sysex ability cripples the functionality in this area anyway.

I'm looking forward to getting a manual that explains how we should be using this plugin. I was hoping for something that meant not having to touch the Virus itself, but sadly that's not happening here. However, on a positive note the idea of centralising all of the patch storage and tweaking within the DAW project is great. I could really use a full set of Virus presets to start with though. That would make this a far more presentable package IMHO.

Roger
Old 26.10.2006, 11:04 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Thanks for that, will have to try out the dump funciton over next couple of days.

Will have to contact rekon audio later though as noticed they have sent me the virus a editor not the virus c one.
Old 26.10.2006, 06:31 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Quote:

Lanrosta,

Also,

Thanks,
Roger
Roger,
I am working on including a bank of presets. The problem with sysex dumps into the editor via midi is that no hosts support this sysex transfer to/from VSTs. But, perhaps a load sysex file may work. I'll look into this for future versions.

As to cubase 4.... that's a VST 3.0 app. they changed the MIDI spec in VST 3. The reKon plugins are VST 2.4 plugins. When the VST 3.0 SDK is available I'll look into updating it.

Thanks,
lanrosta
Old 26.10.2006, 07:00 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanrosta
Roger,
I am working on including a bank of presets. The problem with sysex dumps into the editor via midi is that no hosts support this sysex transfer to/from VSTs. But, perhaps a load sysex file may work. I'll look into this for future versions.

As to cubase 4.... that's a VST 3.0 app. they changed the MIDI spec in VST 3. The reKon plugins are VST 2.4 plugins. When the VST 3.0 SDK is available I'll look into updating it.

Thanks,
lanrosta
Hi Lanrosta,
If you could include a facilty to read .syx files then that would be killer! Anything provided in any other format could be converted to .syx with a sysex tool and the synth itself.

Cubase 4 does not appear to let controller information out from anything VSTi. I've tried it with pitch / mod wheel from Pro 53 and the Pro 53 sends nothing anywhere.

http://knowledgebase.steinberg.net/147_1.html

Has a statement that VST 2.4 plugins and instruments are fully compatible with Cubase 4. - This is clearly not the case.

It must be as frustrating for developers trying to release worthwhile and innovative products in this environment as it is for us end users.

I look forward to those banks.
Thanks,

Roger
Old 26.10.2006, 07:07 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanrosta
Roger,

Thanks,
lanrosta
Hi Lanrosta,
If you could include a facilty to read .syx files then that would be killer! Anything provided in any other format could be converted to .syx with a sysex tool and the synth itself.

Cubase 4 does not appear to let controller information out from anything VSTi. I've tried it with pitch / mod wheel from Pro 53 and the Pro 53 sends nothing anywhere.

http://knowledgebase.steinberg.net/147_1.html

Has a statement that VST 2.4 plugins and instruments are fully compatible with Cubase 4. - This is clearly not the case.

It must be as frustrating for developers trying to release worthwhile and innovative products in this environment as it is for us end users.

I look forward to those banks.
Thanks,

Roger

More of that good old Steinberg quality!
Yes, it can be frustrating especially with MIDI plug ins.

Thanks,
lanrosta
Old 26.10.2006, 10:02 PM
New here
New here

If any Logic 7 Pro users have figured out a way to get this running I'd be interested to hear it! I have it wrapped with a VST to AU wrapper, but cant for the life of me figure out how to route the midi so both the Virus and the VST pick it up!