Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 14.03.2007, 10:24 AM
New here
New here

Default Virus Indigo I keyboard issue

Hello everyone,

I just bouth a Virus Indigo I (second hand). It seems that the keyboard (an the wheels) are not recognised by the sound module. Therefore, when I turn it on, on the screen is written acces VIRUS B, instead of VIRUS INDIGO. Further more (since I thought that the Keyboard is turned off) I didn't find the parameter Keyboard Local (on/off) and, belive me, I mapped all the CTRL menu. The official answer from ACCESS was that the Indigo " thinks" that it is now a desktop, therefore it is not recognising the Keyboard (and the weels as well). Condidering the price I paid (350 eur) I can live with this (otherwise, the sound module works perfectly fine) but I am wondering if some of you guys had the same problem and maybe there is a technical solution for it, without sending it to service.
Thanks a lot in advance for you replyes.

Dan
Old 14.03.2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Have you tried to update the OS?
Old 15.03.2007, 08:55 AM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Sounds like it´s running with the Virus B OS instead of the Indigo OS. Juho is right: Update the OS...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 15.03.2007, 10:33 AM
New here
New here

Thanks for the post guys.

I have updated from OS 4.02 T to 4.9 T. The OS is the same for Virus B, Indigo and Virus KB (as much as I know from Access site) so must be something inside the device which tells to the EEPROM if the device is one of the B, KB or Indigo. Therefore, in my opinion, if the Keyboard controler is not seen (from various reasons) the device will think it is a desktop one.
I will try to open it to check conectors, cables etc to see if maybe is something wrong with them, even if there are 90% chances to find something wrong. However I have read on internet that this problem apeared inthe past for Indigo but unfortunately nobody was able to tell me how did they solved it.
Old 15.03.2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hmmm... I think this is the annoying keyboard controller issue. Went through that crap with my kB years ago. Some of the kB's and Indigos had faulty keyboard controllers which led to mysterious problems like really loud error noises, notes cutting off, lock ups and - like in this case - recognising the unit as a desktop model.

Although there is a chance that there are connectors loose, but I'm afraid it's the case of faulty keyboard controller. In that case only solution is to send it to Access' licensed repair. On the other hand if the unit posessed faulty keyboard controller, then why the previous owner hadn't had it repaired?

Have you contacted the previous owner about this issue? If I'd be you I'd either try to get the deal obsolete and get your money back or make the seller pay the repair costs.

Last edited by Juho L : 15.03.2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 16.03.2007, 07:23 AM
New here
New here

Thanks for reply Juho,

I have opened the unit to check the connectors. All of them are in good shape and very well plugged.
The formal owner (is a guy who has no idee about synths keyboards etc.) told me that the keyboard was working. The guy came with the Virus, fully confident without knowing that is something wrong with the keyboard. He told me that he was playing for some minutes at home and it was perfectly fine. In fact I paid him less (he wanted 500 eur for the Virus - I paid 350 because the keyboard is not working). The Virus looks perfectly knew, no scratch, very good shape, Warranty seal on back of it, like it was just caming out of the box. He told me that he has it for some years not doing anything with it.
We have here a distributor for access but they are everything else but nice, so the only thing to do will be to ask Access to send me the controller in this case. Since I have opened the device I saw the controler and it is extremenly easy to replace. Just fix it in 4 screws and plug the 4 conectors in it. The only thing I am afraid is that I am not 100% sure that this is the problem so I can pay for the controller and realise after all that this was not the problem.