Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 19.08.2008, 09:10 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default Surround panning via LFO

Can anyone tell me if this is possible on the Ti please; I've recently taken ownership of one but I haven't started to programme yet - still loving Virsyn Tera, Carbon 2 and other NI EI2 synths...

What I woud like to do is create a surround sound system using the individual outs on the Ti. I'd like to create a nice patch and place it anywhere in the pan fields using a soft knob (I understand there wouldn't be 360 deg placement). But the important aspect would be to modulate pan position with an LFO.

In other words, I'd like to fade up the patch, and then place it in the audio field with the soft knob manually - but from there, bringing another soft knob into play to modulate the sound from its original point as it would be hooked up to an LFO. So the sound would now rotate 360 degrees from it's placed position, with the rotation speed dependent on the LFO speed.

So...do you think this is possible?!
Old 19.08.2008, 10:43 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hiya Mark,

On my old Indigo (v1), you can modulate the L/R panorama (of any output pairs: Out1 L+R, Out2 L+R, Out3 L+R) using a LFO, but you can't modulate Front/Rear using a LFO (you can do it manually though, AND you can assign one of the soft knobs to do it).

Any single patch can be sent to up to four outputs (of the available six). You'll find the settings in the CTRL menus. Find the "Second Output" option and select a second pair of outputs of your choice (Out2 L+R, or Out3 L+R). The "Second Output: Balance" setting now controls the balance (fade) between the first and second pairs of outputs (effectively your front/rear pairs).

You can modulate panorama (L/R) using a LFO no problems. LFO2 is already set up for this. Just hit the Amount button in the LFO2 section to select PAN, and then use the value knob to select the modulation amount (the intensity).
If you're sending the patch to all four output jacks, the LFO will modulate between both lefts (Out 1L and Out 2L) and both rights (Out 1R and Out 2R) simultaneously.

One limitation I've found is that the Reverb/Delay effects-send only returns on Out1 L&R only. So if you fade the Front/Rear balance to full Rear (Out2 L+R), you'll still hear the 100% wet effects return on Out1 L+R even though there is no dry signal on those two outputs. Out2 L+2 and Out3 L+R remain completely dry from any Reverb/Delay effects, regardlessly.

There may be more to it but that's basically what I know.

For true quad, I'd use two patches in multi mode to add a bit more randomness and motion, so all outputs will be individual rather than duplicated on both lefts and both rights.
Old 20.08.2008, 07:36 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default Cheers Timo!

That effects limitation isn't too much of a problem, I'll keep it dry for now...but the implementation does seem a little mre difficult that I had hoped, but I'll just have to deal with it. Thanks for your in depth reply!
Old 20.08.2008, 09:59 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

the mod matrix could be another option to accomplish that ...