Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 05.11.2003, 08:47 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smag
although I haven't had chance to make it Self Oscillate, not sure how to, does anybody know?
Add resonance (try maximum) and add keyfollow.
Old 05.11.2003, 11:31 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
There were some clips on Access site, but they sounded like basic Virus sounds.

Could someone please demonstrate that self-oscillation?
The sound of the new filter might not be so obvious from the demos, I guess. Sure, you might *think* that the original Virus filters are capable of making those sounds, but actually they are not. The self-oscillation is more than apparent in the demo labelled 'Self-Resonating Sphere' - *all* of the top end warbling above the basic chord sound is courtesy of the new Analog Filter!

The Saturation that is integral to the character of this filter algorithm is also very different from what can be achieved with the original Saturation types - it is much warmer and more subtle (and consequently more natural-sounding) than those. If you simply run a pure Sine wave through this filter, the character is entirely different from that achieved through the standard Lowpass. The Moog-style Saturation also affects the signal with a certain amount of compression, which makes certain effects only possible with this algorithm - for instance, if the Oscillator Mix signal is made up of slightly detuned waveforms, the beat-pulsing results in peaks and troughs in the signal that another signal, ie Noise or Sub-Osc interact with. All this means it now much easier to create pulsing, breathing, organic sounds that could only previously be imitated with complex ModMatrix routings (and less convincing results).

I'm afraid the only way to truly appreciate the beauty of the Analog Filter is to build a simpe patch, turn Resonance up a bit, and sweep the Cutoff. Something magic and undefinable happens now within that sweep that was never possible before..

-=BC
Old 06.11.2003, 09:43 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I've noticed the original filters sound different too. Am I right or am I hearing things? By the way, they sound better. The high resonance is great.
Old 06.11.2003, 10:30 AM

i hope access did their legal homework on these "moog type" filters.

some history:

ARP got serious legal problems with moog after they installed "moog type" filters on the 2600. after a legal fight they had to change the moog type filters on the 2600 to the original ones. but these did not sound as good.

the ms series from korg gave ARP the rest and some years later ARP was out of business.

that was some 30 years ago. damn, these 70" were nice.

dries
Old 06.11.2003, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries
some history:

ARP got serious legal problems with moog after they installed "moog type" filters on the 2600. after a legal fight they had to change the moog type filters on the 2600 to the original ones. but these did not sound as good.
Not a problem with modelling. The ARP got in trouble because they used the schematics and desing, which were patented by Moog. In modelling you only copy the sound, not the desing. Sound can't be patented.
Old 06.11.2003, 11:31 AM

been damn busy, but i noticed the OS update in the virus mailing list!! downloaded the OS, but cant install it on the virus until tomorrow night!!

i gave the patch demo that ben mentioned earlier a listen though (self resonating sphere)....nice indeed!!

very much looking foward to hearing the result of the new OS on my own VC...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 06.11.2003, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Quote:
some history:

Not a problem with modelling. The ARP got in trouble because they used the schematics and desing, which were patented by Moog. In modelling you only copy the sound, not the desing. Sound can't be patented.
the virus is in concept a "software" emulator of old analog hardware technology. thats means that components like oscilators, filters etc. and their behaviour and characteristics have been defined as virtual objects in the software that controlls the dsp. for a synth programmer its much easier to write code in a environment that emulates real synth hardware. building up the complete environment is the main job. other software like reason has the same concept. thats also the reason why programmers that do this job must have serious knowledge of real hardware.

i'm almost sure that the virus crew took the original filter layout and translated it in the corresponding dsp code.

dries
Old 06.11.2003, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
i'm almost sure that the virus crew took the original filter layout and translated it in the corresponding dsp code.
That's obvious, but the Virus doesn't contain the patented filter!
Old 06.11.2003, 01:56 PM

the 2nd ARP 2600 series didnt "include" the original moog filter too.

if i remember right, ARP was sued because they copied the 24-polle filter principle which was unique in the moog by then. copying ideas can be a patent violation too.

dries
Old 06.11.2003, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
if i remember right, ARP was sued because they copied the 24-polle filter principle which was unique in the moog by then. copying ideas can be a patent violation too.
It was a patent violation because they used the transistor ladder principle, which was the basis of patented Moog filter.