Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 21.01.2013, 04:59 PM
Pro
Pro

Why does this REALLY MATTER?!! The engineers at Access stated themself that the Viri engine IS the same save from some digital/analog converter differences! Who are WE to really question THAT coming from the emperical "horses mouth"? Really!
Old 21.01.2013, 05:05 PM
Pro
Pro

I happen to own a Virus KB and KC because I like fundamental differences in the interface and filters but that has nothing to do with the basic waveforms; it's just my preference for what each instrument offers in the physical interface and what I as a musician would like for immediacy in playing for layering sounds. This point of which is "better" is oxymoronic in SO many ways!
Old 22.01.2013, 08:22 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

What do you think of a semi-controlled test using Ableton live with fixed settings inside and a midi clip, routed to Virus Ti and and C simple waveforms without effects?

We should only not consider volume differences because of different audio cards used... But just compare tone, timbre.

If there's someone with Ableton and Virus Ti who want partecipate please trow your email into my private message box.

my soundcloud page
Old 22.01.2013, 10:58 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillator View Post
What do you think of a semi-controlled test using Ableton live with fixed settings inside and a midi clip, routed to Virus Ti and and C simple waveforms without effects?

We should only not consider volume differences because of different audio cards used... But just compare tone, timbre.

If there's someone with Ableton and Virus Ti who want partecipate please trow your email into my private message box.
Yeah that would work, then sample align and phase invert.

Or just play back the same clip I did, and if it's again noticebly brighter, it's pretty likely because of the C. It's a good patch to test aliasing since it's worbly and high pitched.
Old 22.01.2013, 01:08 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

yes, i can prepare the Ableton file with all clips inside, send the project to someone with the Ti, export wav, then done.

who want to partecipate?

my soundcloud page
Old 22.01.2013, 03:09 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillator View Post
yes, i can prepare the Ableton file with all clips inside, send the project to someone with the Ti, export wav, then done.

who want to partecipate?
Make sure anyone who participates checks and uses the same global settings as your own, including PureTuning, Global Transpose and Master Tuning.
Old 22.01.2013, 09:15 PM
Pro
Pro

Perhaps those participating and conducting this futile test need to read the definition of what "THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD" is for ANY emperical results to be relavent. There's just way too many uncontrollable variables and The Scientific Method INVOLVES a controlled environment as well as a control group. I still hear no talk about using an oscillascope program because if you are reliant only on different set of human ears--there's another huge variable.
Old 22.01.2013, 11:35 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I think there should be no pre-amps pulling the volume on this, to. which is so easy to forget when recording audio with an interface. and even without that, which can be thought off as another stage of processing by itself, I'm pretty sure that different interfaces may produce a different sound...

so my advice would be, if this is done by the same person, to use the stereo outs on both the b, c and ti. so that the signal path would be the same in all examples.

but even though it's kind of futile, I confess I'd like to listen to such tests done right. and analyse them myself to. I guess it's the geek side of me speaking here. No shame though. Cheers
Old 23.01.2013, 02:01 AM
Pro
Pro

What makes absolutely no sense here is "Spreader" was given "THE ANSWER" from Access as copied/pasted from his own post at start of this thread, yet obviously refutes the very engineers that definitely know more than any of us on this forum: Originally Posted by access:

"The filter models and the "classic" oscillator model in the Virus TI are the exact same as in the older Virus models. There was absolutely no change. Of course the TI offers other oscillator types at this point and it also offers more effects, etc., but the base features are the same in all the models - so is the sound.
The difference here are solely the D/A converters, which very obviously got way better over the years, when you compare the D/A converters in a Virus "a" to a Virus b to a Virus c and now the Virus TI models"
Also, TIMO said rightly about the audio differences in balanced/unbalanced outputs, et al. It's just anoying when one was given their answer from Access themself, yet has some Ego or Id thing to prove here!
Robert
Old 23.01.2013, 12:05 PM
Pro
Pro

My humble opinion, the more people post in forums griping, the less time they spend actually writing/producing/synthesising/learning to use their ears .

But i've been lucky with my TI working for the most part as it should - with the only quibbles being dropped clocks now and again, and some scary moments using betas, and its been painless since os4.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/