Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 18.03.2015, 10:38 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default accross the board Virus price drops here in the States

hopefully means something new is on the horizon.

maybe at Musikesse.
Old 18.03.2015, 10:59 PM
This forum member lives here

I hope its an indicator of a new model, but this happened once before around 2009. Prices dropped about 10% for a few months then went back up.
Old 19.03.2015, 09:41 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Could be the VST version of the virus could be out soon making the hardware kinda redundant so there selling them off cheaper
Old 20.03.2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Could be the VST version of the virus could be out soon making the hardware kinda redundant so there selling them off cheaper
I probably wouldn't complain if that were the case. Although, usually a 10% discount indicates more of a minor supply chain adjustment than a liquidation effort.

Not sure how much I'd be willing to pay for a software-only Virus unless it came with a hardware component to get processing off the CPU of the PC. They used to have this with the powercore virus. I never owned one so I'm not sure why it didn't take off.

With Dune2 and other recent synths, I kind of feel like I've already got Virus-like performance if I'm willing to give up enough CPU cycles, that's the real benefit I get from the Snow, extra processing power.

I'm sure if they ever did this (a VST only version of the Virus), it would both sell like mad, and get pirated like mad. One of the downsides of building a prominent brand, you then must protect it. It's one of the reasons I thank god I never became a recognizable celebrity -- being recognized every where I go or chased by paparazzi would drive me nuts. A software-only announcement of the Virus would be like this. The moment word spread, people would be spending every last minute figuring out how to whore it out on torrents it (sadly).
Old 20.03.2015, 10:40 AM
Pro
Pro

Personally I think the latest release of wavetable plugins is hitting the Virus and CPU advancements has bought the playign field upto a reasonably competitive level. In regards to price there's a lot of currency changes as european currencies weaken vs the USD and with the aforementioned competition, price drops are innevitable. Elektron recently dropped the price of their AK's recently.

I still dispute for live artist's, performance producers, hardware fanatics and knob twiddlers that the hardware will disappear. Too much of a revival market at present, look at the recent releases in the analogue field from Korg, DSI, Elektron, Moog, MFB and the digital Rolands Aira range.
I think the best and nearest competitor to Virus has to be Serum in the plugin world, however I still wouldn't sell the Virus.

I'm hoping Access are going to bring us something different than a Virus TI3, wouldn't be surprised if we see a wavetable/analogue hybrid with some juicy filters...we live and hope

Just wish Elektron would hurry up with Overbridge, adding overbirdge as plugins to join hands with the virus is all I am currently waiting on

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 20.03.2015, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Could well be a reflection of the product in todays market environment. The Virus hasn't been updated for a good while now, it's effectively depreciating compared to the native based competition given CPU and software advances in the last few years, and also feature-wise in terms of current EDM production practices. The prices start to look a little steep as a result.

To keep sales up, you can't keep flogging the same product for more than a few years and expect to command the same top-end price without updating it, especially in the computer software and hardware world, but any such lower price would likely stimulate demand in the interim.

Great no doubt the Kemper Profiling Amps are, from my lowly external visual point looking in I can't help fear that Virus development has suffered somewhat as a result. However at least hardware wise, the Virus has few serious competitors, Access possibly feel they can get away with riding on the coat tails for a while.

Alternatively they could of course be squirrelling away and working hard at Access HQ ready to defy the world with an earth-shaking successor to the TI2, and if so I'd be the first in the queue.
Old 24.03.2015, 07:46 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Figures the price would drop. I bought one in December.