Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 19.10.2008, 12:59 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default About the Access Snow ATOMIZER as DJ FX Send

Hey there, i'm new to the forum and i'm about to get my first Virus, the Snow.

But i need to know one thing: is it possible to use the Atomizer function as an FX Send on a mixer instead of as the master output of a typical dj setup? Please help!
Old 29.10.2008, 09:39 AM
New here

nobody? anybody? please help!!! i can't find the atomizer manual!!!
Old 29.10.2008, 06:48 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierlo View Post
nobody? anybody? please help!!! i can't find the atomizer manual!!!

I think the Atomizer Manual is under your "Start" menu on your computer, then Access Music Folder, then the manuals folder.............that is if you are using a PC based computer..............hope this helps...........
Old 29.10.2008, 08:15 PM
New here

" i'm new to the forum and i'm about to get my first Virus, the Snow."

i have no manual
Old 30.10.2008, 07:58 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

When using Atomizer, by default the input signal is passed unchanged to the output. Only when you press some keys, the audio is affected by Atomizer. So you probably don't want to use it as a send effect - you'll get phasing when the direct signal is summed with the same signal coming out of the Atomizer, and besides, the effect won't sound as cool when it's combined with the dry signal
Old 30.10.2008, 08:39 AM
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreg View Post
When using Atomizer, by default the input signal is passed unchanged to the output. Only when you press some keys, the audio is affected by Atomizer. So you probably don't want to use it as a send effect - you'll get phasing when the direct signal is summed with the same signal coming out of the Atomizer, and besides, the effect won't sound as cool when it's combined with the dry signal
well...i see your point and that makes sense. But what i dont understand is how am i supposed to use this in a "real-life" dj setup? Imagine i'm djing with cdjs or vinyls and i want to add the atomizer on top of that. My only option here seems to put the virus between the DJ Mixer and the PA mixer:

CONSOLE MIXER OUT --> VIRUS IN -- VIRUS OUT --> PA IN

is that right?
Well then, just imagine i dont want to leave my 1k+ bucks jewel unattended for the rest of the night. I'd want to put it in a safe place - namely my backpack. If for some reason i'm not going to be the LAST dj of the night - and chances are i won't - i'd have to unplug the virus, and replug the console mixer out to the PA, producing a damn embarassing dead blank minute!

Guess what? i'll be remembered as the party stopper. And i totally dont want to be that guy, ftw.
Or did I miss something. .. ?
Old 30.10.2008, 09:39 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

What DJ Mixer are you using?

My DJM-800 when sending to an external efffect is not a parallel send (unlike its internal fx), instead its an insert when enabled and the effect level controls the return level.

I would guess the same applied to other pioneer mixers with external effect routing (been ages since I used a DJM-600 ?)

BTW - if you are using a DJM-800 and thinking of generating midi clock from the mixer - erm - probably best not to
Old 30.10.2008, 09:59 AM
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
What DJ Mixer are you using?
ehm no clue.. haven't checked the club yet
Old 30.10.2008, 02:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
ehm no clue.. haven't checked the club yet
Then you probably want to spend some time checking out the external effect specs of various Allen and Heath, Pioneer and Vestax club mixers - both the 4 channel and 6+ channel club console variety.

Also some clubs do actually have patch bays to simplify gear setup of laptop DJs etc and partly because their mixer is in a semi-custom console so you cant actually easily get at the audio connections. I have a mate who ended up plumbing a mono feed from his laptop into the top mic input of a mixer once because of that - no gear swap time allowed and he needed to do a clean pickup - he should have asked them first of course and/or had a nattter with the venue tech before hand - most DJs etc seem not to bother and get caught out - venues techs usually apreciate it if you check in with them a while before and may even get stuff prepped for you in down time.

If you want to start ripping their rig apart at near 1am on a sat night/sun morn, your unlikely to get alot of co-operation

If you have a booked gig - you better email/call them and ask for specifics - connectivity, mixer type, insert options, and especially if there is anywhere to accomodate your gear - most recent install custom consoles do at least have a laptop stand (as DJs of use them from their track reference data base even if you dont play off it), and/or stand for a CD wallet and if your lucky a small set bucket for vinyl. Anything else might actually a be a no go without you own gear stand and even then finding room for it could be a challenge.

The techs like build in consoles because it stops idiots from messing and screwing something up, so less hassle (and the tech may actually be the owner/manager too)

Last edited by Khazul : 30.10.2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 30.10.2008, 07:48 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Well then, just imagine i dont want to leave my 1k+ bucks jewel unattended for the rest of the night. I'd want to put it in a safe place - namely my backpack. If for some reason i'm not going to be the LAST dj of the night - and chances are i won't - i'd have to unplug the virus, and replug the console mixer out to the PA, producing a damn embarassing dead blank minute!
well ... your backpack can be taken away easily ...
but if your virus stays connected in between ...
then you most likely will hear it, if somebody tries to unplug it