Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 07.02.2011, 08:31 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Smile How do you use your Virus TI?

Do you use TI mode?

Do you record TI as audio?

Can you use it as it is supposed to work, Total Integration?

It would be nice to know how you use your TI.
Old 07.02.2011, 10:03 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Ok, so this is kinda weird...

Just now I was literally logging on to the forums to create a post asking about workflow with the TI2; basically the same exact question you're asking.

Great minds think alike, eh.

I am using Logic. When I first got the TI2 I wrongfully assumed that 16 separate slots in the window+ the most advanced virus ever made meant 16 instruments at once.

I was a little let down to see that I couldn't get more than four or five going at a time without note stealing, but that led to my current style of work with the virus, which I actually like quite a bit. Basically what I do now is open up 5 or 6 multi timbral tracks with the TI (just to save space in the project), and keep the ones I'm not using minimized.

Pretty much as soon as I get a sound/sequence/region I like, I'll bounce it and put in the audio file, keep the midi region muted until i need to work with it again, and play around with the audio file. I have found that working with audio files is pretty fun, especially with Logic 9's flex time feature. One I'm working with all audio files, I also don't have to worry about ANY kind of latency or cpu issues and can slap bazillions of effects wherever I want. It is also REALLY nice to be able to use Logic's linear phase EQ with the audio files for the visual aspects of the EQ (even though it pales in comparison to the quality of the virus' EQ)....and BTW if you're a logic user check out the linear phase eq if you haven't....higher quality than the channel EQ but eats up more CPU...great for use with audio files!

So yeah, I basically just press whatever sounds I dig to audio files and work with those. If I need more sounds from the virus, instead of adding more tracks I'll usually just save a preset or two so I can come back to them when I need to, then load in whatever else I need.

I separate my audio file tracks and virus tracks with the ultrabeat track smack dab in the middle (I usually color it yellow or pink just to make it stand out)

All of the virus' midi regions for the entire song will stay under the ultrabeat track, muted, directly under the corresponding audio file so that I can always find them if I need to go back and change something.

Anyway. Sorry if that was a little long- winded, but you stole my idea for the post so I had to lay it all out!

I'm really interested in seeing how other people work with the TI2 as well.
Old 07.02.2011, 11:02 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

When I want to do DAW work I use the TI. I just usually have from 5 to 9 Virus tracks at once and more often then not I use the 3 USB channels + 1 of the analog outputs kept in time by the DAW's mixer latency compensation. I bounce down when a patch has become too depending on external FX (so I can give it its own mixer channel) or too much of a burden, to unload the DSPs.

When I'm in sound design or "live action use" I use multimode a bit with 3-4 sounds splitted across the keyboard or layered, usually 2 parts played by the arpeggiator or by a sequencer.
Old 07.02.2011, 11:33 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Wink

Ok! I have a question on how you do it.

I have tried this several times but it does not work for me.

So here is how I do: I record a track with a pad sound say 4 bars long.

Then I bounce that track and put it in a new audio track in Logic pro 8.2.

It is all good so far but if I want to copy that 4 bar track?

It is ok to do so when using Midi or software instruments but not audio tracks, because between the bars on the audio track it clicks or make a noise.

The sound is just cut between the bars if you know what I mean? at least if you record string or pad sounds with long release.

This is how I do my music with software or midi synths, just using 4 bars of recording and copy that so I dont have to play it all.

I suppose I can record it for as long I need but it is not creative for me because I cut and paste that 4 bar track wildly all over the song.

I can not just make a song from the beginning to the end just in my mind and then record it, it does not work like that for me.

How do you do it?
Old 07.02.2011, 11:50 PM
Pro
Pro

you can either record the tails off the 4 bar loop by extending the length of audio recorded to say five bars, and then running two audio tracks one under the other. you can also use clip envelopes to fade audio files in and out slightly to avoid anyclicks etc etc.

for the purpose of writing id either just move the midi parts around until you have a complete arrangement then bounce the entire track, or i would just accept that the pad isnt going to sound exactly like it will on the end bounce and keep that in mind while composing.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 08.02.2011, 04:59 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Here's the weird thing- when I make an audio file I get the click, too....but ONLY if I'm looping it...if I just copy the audio file and play it back to back I don't have the problem at all with the clicks, but let's say I have the audio region copied four times, the click would happen at the end of the fourth as long as it is being looped.
Old 08.02.2011, 06:18 AM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Add the tiniest bit of attack/release(decay) by means of your fade in/out controls, removing the click caused by sudden amplitude changes
Old 09.01.2014, 09:08 AM
Newborn
Newborn

Default Click noise between audio loops

I know this thread is old but FYI for people reading this and interested:

The reason you hear that click is because the frequency at which the loops wave form finishes is at a different point to the start. When the loop starts again, the frequency has to zshoom back to the start point again resulting in this artifact.

A trick I learned is to open the wave form in an editor, zoom into the start point of the waveform and adjust the start point to start when the wave is in the 'null state'. Go to the other end of the wave form and adjust the end point to finish also in the 'null state'.

This *should* make the transition all but inaudible if done right.
Old 12.01.2014, 01:02 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnelby View Post
Ok, so this is kinda weird...

Just now I was literally logging on to the forums to create a post asking about workflow with the TI2; basically the same exact question you're asking.

Great minds think alike, eh.

I am using Logic. When I first got the TI2 I wrongfully assumed that 16 separate slots in the window+ the most advanced virus ever made meant 16 instruments at once.

I was a little let down to see that I couldn't get more than four or five going at a time without note stealing, but that led to my current style of work with the virus, which I actually like quite a bit. Basically what I do now is open up 5 or 6 multi timbral tracks with the TI (just to save space in the project), and keep the ones I'm not using minimized.

Pretty much as soon as I get a sound/sequence/region I like, I'll bounce it and put in the audio file, keep the midi region muted until i need to work with it again, and play around with the audio file. I have found that working with audio files is pretty fun, especially with Logic 9's flex time feature. One I'm working with all audio files, I also don't have to worry about ANY kind of latency or cpu issues and can slap bazillions of effects wherever I want. It is also REALLY nice to be able to use Logic's linear phase EQ with the audio files for the visual aspects of the EQ (even though it pales in comparison to the quality of the virus' EQ)....and BTW if you're a logic user check out the linear phase eq if you haven't....higher quality than the channel EQ but eats up more CPU...great for use with audio files!

So yeah, I basically just press whatever sounds I dig to audio files and work with those. If I need more sounds from the virus, instead of adding more tracks I'll usually just save a preset or two so I can come back to them when I need to, then load in whatever else I need.

I separate my audio file tracks and virus tracks with the ultrabeat track smack dab in the middle (I usually color it yellow or pink just to make it stand out)

All of the virus' midi regions for the entire song will stay under the ultrabeat track, muted, directly under the corresponding audio file so that I can always find them if I need to go back and change something.

Anyway. Sorry if that was a little long- winded, but you stole my idea for the post so I had to lay it all out!

I'm really interested in seeing how other people work with the TI2 as well.
all good except for one thing! I'd steer away from linear EQ for bread and butter mixing. couple of reasons: if you high pass the bass in your sounds with it, it will introduce ringing as a side effect. Plus, all the instances will be adding unnecessary latency to your project, also make your cpu waste some precious cycles just for that. And(!!) it's not better sounding imo, it's the opposite.

but overall you seem to have a good workflow going there, I agree that Logic's Flex Time is a life saver and also work in a similar fashion to that! keep it up
Old 27.03.2015, 02:32 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I don't use VC in a DAW anymore, it just got too disappointing and I hate staring at a screen.

I bought an Octatrack and Roland Octa Capture and could'nt be happier. I program MIDI on Octatrack and the audio goes through the Octa Capture along with sounds from my Analog Four and Moog Minitaur.

Its just a more reliable setup and the MIDI programming, CCs programming and arps on the Octatrack make it a very very powerful MIDI sequencer.