Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 30.11.2020, 03:45 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Thumbs down Mac OS Big Sur

Well I have been putting off updating my computers OS for some time knowing how slow Virus TI updates are these days but most of my other programs have moved on a long time ago so I updated to the latest mac OS, Big Sur. No surprise then that my Virus is no longer working. Looking on Access's web site it seems that the current version is not even compatible with Catalina, the last OS! Anyone have any idea if they are working on anything to fix this?
Old 04.12.2020, 11:00 PM
This forum member lives here

From a quick read, things for audio over USB do not look hopeful, but apparently according to some, MIDI over USB works under both Catalina and Big Sur. When I still had my Virus, USB audio never worked very well anyway, laggy and disappointing. I had to run audio straight to the interface and use the plug-in for sound creation. Problem was I had a Snow, which doesn't have enough knobs on the hardware itself, so once all of these great analog synths started emerging, I had less and less reason to mess with the Virus, so I ended up selling it. Once I had an OB-6, Prophet 6, Prophet 12, Rev 2 etc there was no turning back. I will get a Prophet10 soon. These synths don't have plug-ins, the beauty is in not only the raw sound but the immediacy of the hardware. Ten years ago this level of synth glory wasn't available, now it's back.

If I'm not mistaken you have the desktop Ti2? If so, I'd just say enjoy all the knobs on the front and get in the habit of using those to tweak instead of the software... definitely ditch the USB audio, it was never worth a shit anyway. For longer term viability, consider Windows for your DAW host because Apple doesn't give a fuck about backward compatibility and no vendor is going to keep rewriting their software every time a new OS comes out unless they have an ongoing healthy revenue stream to support the upgrades.

Meanwhile I can run software I wrote 35 years ago on Windows! Microsoft has their faults but they are the absolute kings of backward compatibility, and if you want a stable music production environment there are a lot of advantages. If you made the switch to Mac from Windows XP, just know that things have changed a lot on Windows, it is a slick OS and nothing like XP, Vista etc.

Trust me I did the Logic/MacOS thing for a while. Combining Apple's habit of breaking changes every couple of years with Kemper's lack of give-a-fuckness is a recipe for disaster. Plus Mac has now deviated from Intel processors so they can make their laptops more like their phone... I doubt the overall outcome will be good for music software vendors.
The other option is to sell your Virus... it's still worth a lot and there are so many great hardware and software alternatives these days.

I did see somewhere a rumor that Kemper might be working on a new synth, but it could be just a rumor. I noticed Waldorf dropped the price on the Kyra... if I were going to buy a VA synth today that might be the one, it's powerful as hell being FPGA based. Not sure if the Kyra price drop is an indication in short-term lack of demand for VA? All of that is just trends that come and go. Vintage analog is all the rage now, but I've seen that come and go in the past too.
Old 06.12.2020, 04:33 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

consider Windows for your DAW host

Lol

and does the latest OS run the TI software?

I have an old laptop that will do the job but that is not the point. The point is access are still selling this thing and it doesn't work. They are the ones with the most 'don't give a fuckness'...like they ever had.
Old 06.12.2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
consider Windows for your DAW host

Lol

and does the latest OS run the TI software?

I have an old laptop that will do the job but that is not the point. The point is access are still selling this thing and it doesn't work. They are the ones with the most 'don't give a fuckness'...like they ever had.
Yeah, the latest Windows OS runs the TI software fine and can run most DOS software from the 80's if you wanted it to. If the laptop is old you might run into issues between the laptop hardware and later versions of the OS, but even if so Windows is still light years beyond Apple with regard to backward compatibility.

I get what you're saying about Access, they should update their software but by now everyone knows what's up with them. That's why my general advice is to bail on the software for anything other than an editor/librarian, supposedly it works for that under Big Sur.

It's just that Apple is the undisputed king of planned obsolescence, and breaking the OS to facilitate selling you something new. Combine that planned obsolescence mentality of Apple with the sitting-on-a-corncob mentality of Kemper, and you have a recipe for disaster and basically the opposite of a stable music making environment. And it's only going to get worse with the new Apple processors.
Old 06.12.2020, 05:40 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Absolutely nothing works with Big Sur. All I get is a message saying the developer needs to update the software to run on this OS.
Old 06.12.2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Absolutely nothing works with Big Sur. All I get is a message saying the developer needs to update the software to run on this OS.
Maybe get in touch with one of these guys to see what he did differently to get MIDI over USB working: https://www.virus.info/wbb_suite_3/i...activity-list/
Old 06.12.2020, 06:08 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Maybe get in touch with one of these guys to see what he did differently to get MIDI over USB working: https://www.virus.info/wbb_suite_3/i...activity-list/

The days of me pulling my hair out and wasting countless hours trying to get my virus 'working' are over my friend. There is even a greyed out no entry sign on the virus control icon so I presume somebody is bullshitting.
Old 06.12.2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
The days of me pulling my hair out and wasting countless hours trying to get my virus 'working' are over my friend. There is even a greyed out no entry sign on the virus control icon so I presume somebody is bullshitting.
Not bullshitting, others have said they were able to get MIDI over USB working, another thread here: virus.info/forum/index.php?thread/7660-virus-ti-not-compatible-with-macos-catalina-big-sur/&pageNo=1

But who knows if it's working under certain DAWS and not others. If it were me, I wouldn't chase it down either. I would just either use the controls on the Virus to do everything, or sell it, or switch to Windows. There are a lot of synths out there that are easy to get great sounds out of without messing with plugins. All my outboard synths sound better than my Snow did anyway.
Old 07.12.2020, 02:12 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Not bullshitting, others have said they were able to get MIDI over USB working, another thread here: virus.info/forum/index.php?thread/7660-virus-ti-not-compatible-with-macos-catalina-big-sur/&pageNo=1

But who knows if it's working under certain DAWS and not others. If it were me, I wouldn't chase it down either. I would just either use the controls on the Virus to do everything, or sell it, or switch to Windows. There are a lot of synths out there that are easy to get great sounds out of without messing with plugins. All my outboard synths sound better than my Snow did anyway.

I am using Live 10 and neither the plug in works or VC so the TI thing is not working. Midi over USB? I can stick a midi cable in the virus and it will work, what I want is the software to work!
Old 07.12.2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I am using Live 10 and neither the plug in works or VC so the TI thing is not working. Midi over USB? I can stick a midi cable in the virus and it will work, what I want is the software to work!
I've been integrating synths with computers since the mid 80's and I cannot remember a time I got what I wanted It's usually quite a grind to get everything working properly.

When I refer to MIDI over USB, I don't mean just a MIDI cable I mean that some folks are successfully running the software as a librarian and to edit the sound. Seriously, I urge you to do some reading on this. I don't know why its working for some not for others but I know you won't get anywhere with it if you limit your understanding to what is posted in this forum.

Go to the source of information, try to figure out what the differences are. Otherwise consider the alternatives I posted. Apple+Access Music = No Future.

https://www.virus.info/forum/index.p...ility-warning/

That's about the best I can do, sorry