Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 05.08.2009, 07:15 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default WTF my virus ti just shot out sparks from power input

I was moving some stuff around and unplugged my ti then plugged it back in while plugging it the power jack shot out sparks???? everything seems fine. any help here. thanks
Old 05.08.2009, 07:54 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

As long as it still works, it's ok.
It's just coz the plug wasn't securely in and it caused "Arching".
Just make sure it's securely in next time. If you don't, you could spike the unit and DESTROY.
Also, the pins on the plugs will get carbon burn.
Always use the power switch to turn on, not just plug straight in.
Old 05.08.2009, 11:37 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I do that once every so often, it's because the positive inner tip of the power plug sticks out half a millimetre and makes contact before the ground of the power cord makes contact. Then the metal housing is close to the outer ring of the power chord, and zappo! No probs with my unit.
Old 05.08.2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

In a dark room, try looking directly at a lightswitch (on the wall) when you switch it on, you'll see green sparks around the base of the perimeter of the switch itself.

Same if you plug a toaster or kettle into a wall socket and flick the switch. Some are more obvious than others.

I think it's when the metal joints don't stablize immediately during initial contact, so it creates a brief arcing as mentioned.
Old 05.08.2009, 07:35 PM
Veteran
Veteran

even though i don't always do this myself, the better practise is to yank the cable out of the wall socket. there is nothing that sets the virus apart from many other devices or makes it special when it comes to the AC connector. the socket you connect to is a laptop PSU (which we just buy in bulk and don't modify).

i've seen big sparks, especially on trade shows where the power is not always "clean" - if you have big sparks you might want to check how the network is grounded. in fact, if you got a static voltage level on your ground line, there is a chance it will fry your computer and more.

best, marc

Follow the Virus on Twitter: http://twitter.com/accessmusic
Watch the Virus on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/accessmusic
Become Infected friends on Facebook: http://facebook.com/pages/Virus/77569453701
Old 05.08.2009, 08:53 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Wow thanks for the help guys i was worried their for a bit. man this synth has so much wrong with it but yet it is so right .
Old 06.08.2009, 02:00 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I'm a little paranoid when it comes to power surges etc. So much so I spent $320 on a Furnan power filter for my Polar.